Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Spring/Summer Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:57 PM   #2101
PekinOandB
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisc View Post
Does anyone know of any mid-major transfers to BCS conference schools that end up being statistically better on their new teams?
Possibly Kenny Battle, but I am not savvy enuogh to look up such old stats.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:02 PM   #2102
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by PekinOandB View Post
Possibly Kenny Battle, but I am not savvy enuogh to look up such old stats.

hahaha, I can't believe I missed that one.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2103
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Walk-On View Post
I don't know how many of you guys have seen Rice play.....I saw him play multiple times...I would describe him as (no joke or bash) BP but tougher

He REBOUNDS and can even post against his opposing guard
I don't think he's as explosive an athlete as BP. Not as good a first step or leaper.

Definitely stronger in lower body and upper body, much more rugged and tougher.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:21 PM   #2104
msp illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelnd View Post
If this is indeed true and Groce is a Christian, then I doubt there is would be a connection or at least it shouldn't be one. Mormonism is a cultic form of Christianity and are not "Christians". There are fundamentally different and there are conflicting doctrines between Mormonism and Christianity. In fact 15 years ago Mormons would completely distinguish themselves from Christianity, although now it seems they are trying to gain acceptance among Evangelical Christianity. Oh the age of "post-modernism" we live in.
As a "cultish non-Christian" I take particular exception to this post. You are not the one who decides who is and who is not Christian. Neither is your pastor nor your church. Being Christian or not is decided in the heart and is a personal relationship with God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. You can say it all you want, but your belief will never make me or Jabari Parker or anyone else any less or any more Christian. Such statements as your above post are based in ignorance and bigotry, and are contrary to the doctrines of Christ.

It was the Pharisees and Saducees who wanted to define who was and was not worthy of being considered a child of Israel. Christ preached to the publicans and sinners, elevated the charitable Samaritans, and it was through his apostles that he expanded the message of salvation to the gentiles and heathens. His message was inclusive, and he only scorned those who were hypocrites.

Back on topic, I would be thrilled if Jabari came to Illinois. I would also be happy if he went to BYU. Where ever he goes he will be a credit to that program.

Go Illini! Go get 'em Groce!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2105
ILLINIambassador82
Quote:
Originally Posted by msp illini View Post
As a "cultish non-Christian" I take particular exception to this post. You are not the one who decides who is and who is not Christian. Neither is your pastor nor your church. Being Christian or not is decided in the heart and is a personal relationship with God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. You can say it all you want, but your belief will never make me or Jabari Parker or anyone else any less or any more Christian. Such statements as your above post are based in ignorance and bigotry, and are contrary to the doctrines of Christ.

It was the Pharisees and Saducees who wanted to define who was and was not worthy of being considered a child of Israel. Christ preached to the publicans and sinners, elevated the charitable Samaritans, and it was through his apostles that he expanded the message of salvation to the gentiles and heathens. His message was inclusive, and he only scorned those who were hypocrites.

Back on topic, I would be thrilled if Jabari came to Illinois. I would also be happy if he went to BYU. Where ever he goes he will be a credit to that program.

Go Illini! Go get 'em Groce!

I know the differences theologically between evangelical Christians and Mormons. But on the basis of morals and faith, a strong faith family would want to have their son mentored by someone who has faith rather than someone who doesn't. See my point. If groce is a strong Christian man then we might be a bonus with Parker family.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:50 PM   #2106
carmelillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelnd View Post
If this is indeed true and Groce is a Christian, then I doubt there is would be a connection or at least it shouldn't be one. Mormonism is a cultic form of Christianity and are not "Christians". There are fundamentally different and there are conflicting doctrines between Mormonism and Christianity. In fact 15 years ago Mormons would completely distinguish themselves from Christianity, although now it seems they are trying to gain acceptance among Evangelical Christianity. Oh the age of "post-modernism" we live in.
Please keep this to basketball.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2107
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Please keep this to basketball.
Someone else brought it up. Interesting you chose this post to object to. You might have chosen the more recent one taking exception to it. Maybe your choice was random . . . ?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:01 PM   #2108
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINIambassador82 View Post
I know the differences theologically between evangelical Christians and Mormons. But on the basis of morals and faith, a strong faith family would want to have their son mentored by someone who has faith rather than someone who doesn't. See my point. If groce is a strong Christian man then we might be a bonus with Parker family.
Correct. Same could be true for Romar, who has the added benefit of knowing Sonny Parker and being a family friend, in addition to being a person of faith.

Factors like this often bear disproportionate weight. The Parkers strike me as a family which might make its choice for predominant reasons that aren't specifically basketball related, but instead are a function of context, shared ideals, and quality of life for Jabari.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:18 PM   #2109
Chilliniwek
I don't think there's anything wrong with adding religion to the recruiting equation.

For some players, it's about money...for more, their dream school...for others, where they fit in.

If another part of that is their faith/religious beliefs, so be it...and so what?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:46 PM   #2110
Bubba Eder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliniwek View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with adding religion to the recruiting equation.

For some players, it's about money...for more, their dream school...for others, where they fit in.

If another part of that is their faith/religious beliefs, so be it...and so what?
+1,000 Amen to you brother
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2111
Larken24
Quote:

+1
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2112
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
On a mediocre team in the Valley.....
People continue to dis mid major players, when every year they prove they can play with BCS teams.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:29 PM   #2113
saltygrapes
The 2014 duo from Orr was visiting today, apparently.

Tons of options in that class.

Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2114
WashUIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Eder View Post
+1,000 Amen to you brother
Woah woah woah...let's keep this secular
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:35 PM   #2115
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
The 2014 duo from Orr was visiting today, apparently.

Tons of options in that class.
Amazing what Groce has done so quickly with recruiting.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:17 AM   #2116
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander58 View Post
People continue to dis mid major players, when every year they prove they can play with BCS teams.
You have to consider our recent experience with midmajor transfers: Maniscalco and Marcus Arnold.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2117
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB61081 View Post
Yep, 2014 PF from Orr, plays with the Chicago Magic.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:23 AM   #2118
AHSIllini32
Quote:

I agree but the discussion earlier in the thread was quickly denigrating into a battle of religious beliefs that had nothing to do with Parker, Groce, etc.

Back on topic, if that truly is an important part of Parker's decision then I would think it's just something else that helps us with his recruitment.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:23 AM   #2119
Kramer116
http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/

Quote:
Hoops Report Top Four Illinois AAU teams regardless of class
(Through Mid-April)

1. Meanstreets 17U
Winners of the Swish 'N Dish in Milwaukee and boasting a tremendous amount of depth and balance.

2. Mac Irvin Fire 17U
When you have a tandem like Simeon's Jabari Parker and Whitney Young's Jahlil Okafor, it's highly impressive. Then throw in a supporting cast of DePaul-bound point guard Billy Garrett and Proviso East's Sterling Brown and it's a loaded group.

3. Illinois Wolves 17U
You will be hard pressed to find many teams in the country with as much talent and depth in the backcourt as the Wolves, This group features high-major recruits in Jalen James (Illinois) and Kendall Stephens (Purdue), along with a handful of outstanding mid-major guard prospects.

4. Illinois Wolves 16U
While a year younger, the Wolves are still extremely talented -- as well as big and long with 6-8 Keita Bates Diop of Normal U-High, 6-7 Malek Harris of Sandburg and 6-6 Amanze Egekeze of Huntley. If the point guard play comes through, this Wolves team will be difficult to beat.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:26 AM   #2120
Kramer116
http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor...ones_pair.html

Quote:
Then there is Jones, the absolute unknown from Chicago who sat out this past season at Orr after transferring in from Crane. Jones was a monster at times this past weekend with the Chicago Magic, rebounding, swatting shots, running the floor and showing an offensive game that left you wondering and asking yourself, "Is that for real?"

In one sterling performance, Jones fluidly hit a pair of 15-foot turnaround jumpers, a 15-foot face-up jumper from the elbow, looked good at the line, put down two dunks and impacted the game with his athleticism and length defensively and on the boards. "I told you," Orr coach Lew Adams said to me as the two of us took in one of Jones' games together on Saturday in Milwaukee. "He can play."

Although this past weekend was just a glitzy snapshot of what Jones is and can become, the proverbial "blowing up" phrase, the two most overused words used between March and November in club basketball, will surely follow. But make no mistake about it, Jones is a difference-maker and a super prospect. He's so long, so active, agile and athletic. But his skill level for a 6-8 post player was what was so startling, which will ultimately keep the big fella's stock climbing.
Roy and Harv told me to watch out for Marlon Jones about a month ago as a "keep an eye on" kid for the class of 2014, so I am not too surprised.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:38 AM   #2121
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
You have to consider our recent experience with midmajor transfers: Maniscalco and Marcus Arnold.
Meacham turned out well. Jack Ingram was a solid contributor.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:22 AM   #2122
ILLINIambassador82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I agree but the discussion earlier in the thread was quickly denigrating into a battle of religious beliefs that had nothing to do with Parker, Groce, etc.

Back on topic, if that truly is an important part of Parker's decision then I would think it's just something else that helps us with his recruitment.

Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:09 AM   #2123
MastFan1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
And if you consider Maniscalco and Marcus Arnold, then you also have to consider Trent Meachem. It hasn't been all bad.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:29 AM   #2124
Chathamillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastFan1 View Post
And if you consider Maniscalco and Marcus Arnold, then you also have to consider Trent Meachem. It hasn't been all bad.
I think you also have to consider that Maniscalco was reinjured and just didn't play to his full capacity. He was pretty good for us through the 1st 15 games! I will take a transfer that has a proven track record that has only been playing for a couple of years.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:42 AM   #2125
themudflap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Amazing what Groce has done so quickly with recruiting.
Really? What has he done? Don't get me wrong I like Groce and think he could be Bill Self II. But, so far, all he has done is get people to visit Illinois and make offers. Big whup. Get Nunn to commit or someone similar and now we are talking.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »