Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Transfers

Old May 3, 2012, 08:53 AM   #151
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
Update on some of the transfers we have been discussing. Looks like Jordan Clarkson is visiting Mizzou today and has Illinois and UCLA upcoming. And Julius Mays is considering Purdue, MSU, Kentucky, Cincy, and maybe Michigan.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ulius-mays-etc
Why UCLA? They look loaded to me. I don't know why a guy with two years to play would transfer into that situation.

Old May 3, 2012, 09:07 AM   #152
HowellBrandon
I know that UCLA is loaded, but they are loaded with guys (at SG) who look to be one and done type of guys. I would be very surprised if Muhammad is there more than one year. I have seen mock drafts that think he will be the #1 pick in 2013 draft. Also, he is the only actual SG that they got this year and clarkson has to sit out next year, so he probably won't be there when clarkson can play.

Just a possibility I guess and when you look at Illinois' team they will have in 2013, they may be loaded at SG as well. He seems like a really good player, but if his commitment keeps us from getting Nunn, I'd rather have Nunn.
HowellBrandon is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 07:13 PM   #153
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellBrandon View Post
I know that UCLA is loaded, but they are loaded with guys (at SG) who look to be one and done type of guys. I would be very surprised if Muhammad is there more than one year. I have seen mock drafts that think he will be the #1 pick in 2013 draft. Also, he is the only actual SG that they got this year and clarkson has to sit out next year, so he probably won't be there when clarkson can play.

Just a possibility I guess and when you look at Illinois' team they will have in 2013, they may be loaded at SG as well. He seems like a really good player, but if his commitment keeps us from getting Nunn, I'd rather have Nunn.

I think Nunn may very well be a great college player but i dont see how you can go wrong with Clarkson a proven player who was the 4 time player of the week in conference usa. I want them both but i think Clarkson is more of the sure thing. We have had highly ranked recruits before that have not ever reached the stature that Clarkson appears to be already
PeoriaIllini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:30 AM   #154
scubadunk
The only transfer I think they need now is another 5th year point guard to back up Abrams for a year. I just dont think there are any decent players out there.
scubadunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:25 AM   #155
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
I think Nunn may very well be a great college player but i dont see how you can go wrong with Clarkson a proven player who was the 4 time player of the week in conference usa. I want them both but i think Clarkson is more of the sure thing. We have had highly ranked recruits before that have not ever reached the stature that Clarkson appears to be already
True, but landing Nunn will put us on the map by landing a top Chicago recruit under Groce. The effects of this outweigh the success of landing a kid like Clarkson or XRM over Nunn. Guys like Parker, Okafor, and Alexander have to love the idea of playing with a class of James, Hill, and Nunn. Even if it's only for a year or two.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:39 AM   #156
Foo G
#TeamKickass
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
True, but landing Nunn will put us on the map by landing a top Chicago recruit under Groce. The effects of this outweigh the success of landing a kid like Clarkson or XRM over Nunn. Guys like Parker, Okafor, and Alexander have to love the idea of playing with a class of James, Hill, and Nunn. Even if it's only for a year or two.
With the options available for Parker, Okafor, and Alexander, they'll have an opportunity to be surrounded with high-level talent anywhere they go. I doubt that James, Hill, and Nunn would rank higher than whoever UK, UNC, DUKE, etc. end up with. We need to get the best available players we can get, no matter where they are from. Start winning games and the rest will take care of itself.
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:19 PM   #157
NV Illini 74
Good get for Marquette (formerly noble) Warriers now (effeminate) Golden Eagles

ASU's Trent Lockett to transfer

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-golden-eagles

He's leaving Arizona State to be closer to his mother, who was recently diagnosed with cancer. Lockett, who averaged 13.0 points and 5.8 rebounds per game last season, considered Iowa State, Marquette and Gonzaga

Wonder why he didn't choose Gonzaga; they're in St Paul, right?

Old May 5, 2012, 09:25 PM   #158
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV Illini 74 View Post
Good get for Marquette (formerly noble) Warriers now (effeminate) Golden Eagles

ASU's Trent Lockett to transfer

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-golden-eagles

He's leaving Arizona State to be closer to his mother, who was recently diagnosed with cancer. Lockett, who averaged 13.0 points and 5.8 rebounds per game last season, considered Iowa State, Marquette and Gonzaga

Wonder why he didn't choose Gonzaga; they're in St Paul, right?
Ummm.... Spokane, WA. You are only off by 1300 miles.

Old May 5, 2012, 09:34 PM   #159
NV Illini 74
Sheesh GHD, you're supposed to let someone else swallow the hook...

In any even, if my mom was dying of cancer in Minny and I had to be close to her, I'd be playing for Minny, or LaCross, not 5 hours away in Milwaukee.

Old May 5, 2012, 09:48 PM   #160
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Sheesh GHD, you're supposed to let someone else swallow the hook...

In any even, if my mom was dying of cancer in Minny and I had to be close to her, I'd be playing for Minny, or LaCross, not 5 hours away in Milwaukee.
She was just diagnosed according to the story. Is she that sick? Dying I mean.

It sounds like he is not using the cancer to get a waiver as he will be a graduate.

Old May 5, 2012, 09:54 PM   #161
Foo G
#TeamKickass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Ummm.... Spokane, WA. You are only off by 1300 miles.
Sarcasm. Learn it. Live it. Love it.
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 10:10 PM   #162
NV Illini 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post

It sounds like he is not using the cancer to get a waiver as he will be a graduate.
I don't know if I read or assumed she was dying, but that's the point; the kid states he's leaving ASU to be closer to mom and ends up still 5 hours away.

He was leveraging his graduation to get the heck out, but kept everyone looking good by using the "closer to mom" thing.

In spite of my cynacism, I still wish the kid luck, especially wrt his mom.

Old May 5, 2012, 10:15 PM   #163
Groundhogday
Quote:
I don't know if I read or assumed she was dying, but that's the point; the kid states he's leaving ASU to be closer to mom and ends up still 5 hours away.

He was leveraging his graduation to get the heck out, but kept everyone looking good by using the "closer to mom" thing.

In spite of my cynacism, I still wish the kid luck, especially wrt his mom.
There is a HUGE difference between Arizona and 5 hours away. Within five hours, he can easily drive home for the weekend and she can easily drive to campus and see him.

Old May 6, 2012, 09:14 AM   #164
WinOrElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
There is a HUGE difference between Arizona and 5 hours away. Within five hours, he can easily drive home for the weekend and she can easily drive to campus and see him.
No doubt. What I don't understand is if the idea was to get closer to his mother then why would he even consider Gonzaga?
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 09:29 AM   #165
WinOrElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
No doubt. What I don't understand is if the idea was to get closer to his mother then why would he even consider Gonzaga?
Now I see it. According to Mapquest, it's roughly 1700 miles from Golden Valley, MN to Phoenix but only about 1350 miles from Golden Valley to Spokane. So it IS closer!!
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 09:59 AM   #166
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize he was considering Gonzaga.

Old May 6, 2012, 11:37 AM   #167
HsvIllini
Quote:
It doesn't really matter if she was just diagnosed or not. I lost a friend within a year of being just diagnosed...
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 02:11 PM   #168
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
It doesn't really matter if she was just diagnosed or not. I lost a friend within a year of being just diagnosed...
The point is that being diagnosed with cancer does not equate with dying of cancer. They CAN be the same thing but more often than not people are cured today.

I was trying to see if NV read something more dire than 'diagnosed' elsewhere.

Old May 7, 2012, 01:02 PM   #169
illiniparkie
Quote:
“It’s an instant-gratification society and entitlement society,” said new Illinois coach John Groce.

While coaches say they would prefer the number of transfers to drop, they also must work the system. The transfer talent pool can help a program restock with experienced, talented players....

At Illinois, Groce landed former Drake guard Rayvonte Rice and former Coastal Carolina forward Sam McLaurin. On the heels of Maniscalco’s move from Bradley to Illinois a year ago, those moves highlight a concern that transfers might come at the expense of mid-major programs.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x434071...ketball?zc_p=0
illiniparkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 04:35 PM   #170
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
I can understand wanting to be close to a parent being treated for cancer, regardless of the severity of the diagnosis. I also can appreciate the difference between being across the country vs. five hours away. Being able to get there by car makes a big difference.

When it comes to stated matters of familial relations and health, we're best to take the player's comments at face value. Beyond all this, we are not privy to the particulars and are in no position to judge the merits of anyone's decision, nor his veracity or true motives. I choose to believe what the player says.
OrangeFever is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 07:28 PM   #171
Harry Blackwell
Banned
Quote:
The point is that being diagnosed with cancer does not equate with dying of cancer. They CAN be the same thing but more often than not people are cured today.

I was trying to see if NV read something more dire than 'diagnosed' elsewhere.
I had a spot of skin cancer on my forehead. Got it removed the same day.
Not making light of this at all, but my point is that this is not 1970.
Although a lot of people respond to the word cancer as if it is a death sentence, it is largely survivable today with modern medicine. Just depends on the kind and the severity.
Harry Blackwell is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 06:23 AM   #172
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Blackwell View Post
I had a spot of skin cancer on my forehead. Got it removed the same day.
Not making light of this at all, but my point is that this is not 1970.
Although a lot of people respond to the word cancer as if it is a death sentence, it is largely survivable today with modern medicine. Just depends on the kind and the severity.
I dont care what kind of cancer it is and how treatable it is if one of my family members is diagnosed with cancer and Im thousands of miles away I think I would want to be as close as I could while it is being treated. A 5 hour drive is much easier and cheaper than flying half way accross the country. Remember these are kids who still have feelings for their loved ones. I know sometimes this rule is used to change schools and not to help with the family but unless we know thats the case we need to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:12 AM   #173
mikeyo25eugoh
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
I dont care what kind of cancer it is and how treatable it is if one of my family members is diagnosed with cancer and Im thousands of miles away I think I would want to be as close as I could while it is being treated. A 5 hour drive is much easier and cheaper than flying half way accross the country. Remember these are kids who still have feelings for their loved ones. I know sometimes this rule is used to change schools and not to help with the family but unless we know thats the case we need to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.
Severity has a lot to do with what anyone would do. It doesn't matter who you are. You wouldn't fly half way across the country to be close to an immediate family member getting a malignant mole removed. That just doesn't make sense. They'll be perfectly fine and it's an outpatient operation that takes 20 minutes max.

This has been blown way out of proportion. Obviously if the diagnosis is terminal, then it changes things drastically. Everyone who respects their family will do everything in their power to be close.

Just because a diagnosis is labeled 'cancer' doesn't mean you drop everything and run. Just saying.
mikeyo25eugoh is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:18 AM   #174
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
You are reading far more into the comments than are being made. Nobody is disputing what the kid's motives are in the discussion about the severity of cancer. Though clearly if he was considering transferring to Gonzaga to be close to his mom in Minnesota he either is not a geography genius or the transfer had nothing to do with his mom's illness.

The question was a comment that appeared to equate a person dying just because she was diagnosed. Diagnosis of cancer does not equal dying of cancer necessarily. Many people don't get that and it's a form of ignorance that kills people because they don't get the proper tests they need because of fear, superstition or ignorance. I was merely pointing that out.

Old May 9, 2012, 09:29 AM   #175
scubadunk
Quote:
You are reading far more into the comments than are being made. Nobody is disputing what the kid's motives are in the discussion about the severity of cancer. Though clearly if he was considering transferring to Gonzaga to be close to his mom in Minnesota he either is not a geography genius or the transfer had nothing to do with his mom's illness.

The question was a comment that appeared to equate a person dying just because she was diagnosed. Diagnosis of cancer does not equal dying of cancer necessarily. Many people don't get that and it's a form of ignorance that kills people because they don't get the proper tests they need because of fear, superstition or ignorance. I was merely pointing that out.
No one ever stated that she was dying all that was stated was a diagnosis and all I am saying that any diagnosis of cancer is enough to scare any kid to be closer to family. If he was trying to use his mothers diagnosis to play right away I have a problem with that but at no point was it ever stated she was dying. People are inferring just like you are saying but cancer is scary.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »