Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Julius Mays transfers to Kentucky

Old May 9, 2012, 11:46 AM   #26
RichBradIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I actually followed Mays a little bit this year being a transfer from a major conference school a la Triston Spurlock at UCF. I'm pretty sure he didn't start a lot of the year which was a surprise to me at first being a three star pg coming over from NC state. That's not a knock on Wright State because they have had good teams in the past. He had some good games coming off the bench and I believe earned some starts from that. I thought the same thing about Darnell Dodson but the coaches on both teams must know that team chemistry might of been a problem starting transfers immediately unless needed. IIRC, Mays took a lot of shots during the year even if he was only playing 20mpg. Do we want that? DJ and BP should demand a lot of shots this year and might not like a shoot first pg. We do need a back up pg who is as good as a starter and Mays fits the build.

Did Scott Wood(NC state) play AAU ball with Mays? I'm not sure why the Indiana schools let Wood get out of the state. Kid's a really good college player.
If he's shooting 3's at a 43% clip, we do.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:51 AM   #27
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBradIllini View Post
If he's shooting 3's at a 43% clip, we do.
I'll check later but I never remember more than a couple games where his shooting percentage stood out to me. What did he shoot from two? Seemed like he had a lot of 5-15 games.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:56 AM   #28
RichBradIllini
Top of the thread for stats, Zog. 2's were the same....43%.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 12:23 PM   #29
DaytonIllini
I am hearing that he will go to UK if they push for him. Fairly reliable source who is well connected to WSU. Apparently he's not sure the interest from UK is legit at this point.

Old May 9, 2012, 12:31 PM   #30
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
+1. I'll guess he goes to PU. With LewJack and Ryne Smith graduating, he'd likely start imo. But like seeing JG go after him.
+1 Hard to imagine a kid from that area being courted by UK and whatever "incentives" Cal would provide, not going there.

Really amazes me how active JG has been in his short time here. Not only does he seem to have a strong vision of how the college game should be played, he's doing whatever he can to make the upcoming team come as close as possible to it. Given the time it takes to recruit and develop players, and only one 2012 ride available when he came here, it's remarkable how much he's done.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 12:34 PM   #31
james81
The quickest way for a new coach hired in the spring to fill holes is to go after transfers and juco players. I'm not surprised by how aggressive Groce has been. If Weber was still coach, it's unlikely we'd be going after any of these guys. Regardless of what people think about such a recruiting strategy, the new energy driving the program is clear. And what's also clear is that existing players are getting the message that they have to compete. There may be some tension in the locker room this season, but that is part of the price of making changes. Looking down the road a couple of years, this is going to be a different program with a different style of play and a new identity. I think it's also clear that our recruiting universe has been dramatically expanded. Someone forgot to tell Gross he can't compete with the big boys.
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:00 PM   #32
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
...IIRC, Mays took a lot of shots during the year even if he was only playing 20mpg. Do we want that? DJ and BP should demand a lot of shots this year and might not like a shoot first pg...
If we're relying on DJ to take a lot of shots, it could be a very long season.
Hopefully we see a different DJ Richardson this year under a new regime, but based on historical performance, he's a supporting/role player at best.
Foo G is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:09 PM   #33
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
The quickest way for a new coach hired in the spring to fill holes is to go after transfers and juco players. I'm not surprised by how aggressive Groce has been. If Weber was still coach, it's unlikely we'd be going after any of these guys. Regardless of what people think about such a recruiting strategy, the new energy driving the program is clear. And what's also clear is that existing players are getting the message that they have to compete. There may be some tension in the locker room this season, but that is part of the price of making changes. Looking down the road a couple of years, this is going to be a different program with a different style of play and a new identity. I think it's also clear that our recruiting universe has been dramatically expanded. Someone forgot to tell Gross he can't compete with the big boys.
+1. With RR on board, guys like JB and MyH know they're in for a battle for PT in 2013. And if JG lands Mays, TA, DJ and BP know they won't just be given PT next season. And bringing in SML means NE, ID and perhaps TG and MS know they're in for a battle for PT, too. Accountability is a good thing in this case.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:13 PM   #34
illiniparkie
Klee mentioned Julius in today's chat:

Quote:
One guy that would really help in that department [ballhandling and passing] - and I emphasize really - is former N.C. State and Wright State guard Julius Mays. The 6-foot-2 guard is transferring from Wright State and would be a fifth-year senior and eligible immediately in 2012-13. The Illinois staff is familiar with Mays from their days at Ohio University and will go after him with all it has. Kentucky has offered and will be difficult to beat there, however. Purdue is also heavily involved. Illinois has some ground to make up. Mays would be just what the doctor ordered for the Illini, especially in terms of his experience in an offense that is heavy on ball screens - Wright State runs a lot of ball screens; so will this Illinois staff. Hope that helps. Klee

http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2012-0...ball-chat.html
illiniparkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:25 PM   #35
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I am hearing that he will go to UK if they push for him. Fairly reliable source who is well connected to WSU. Apparently he's not sure the interest from UK is legit at this point.
And if not UK.... Purdue?

Old May 9, 2012, 02:41 PM   #36
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
And if not UK.... Purdue?
The guy I talked to made it sound like it was almost a done deal to UK. He never mentioned anyone else and I was surprised that UK would be interested I never thought to ask him. I told him I thought he'd sit on the bench at UK and he said the kid is a star but plays with kids that cannot handle his pace at Wright State (thus the turnovers and his lack of assists). By then it was time for his rectal exam and that kind of squelched the basketball talk.

I don't know personally. This guy knows a lot more about WSU than I do (the WSU in Dayton that is ) though. Hearing what he had to say I hope we get him though.

Old May 9, 2012, 02:44 PM   #37
Future Walk-On
Future Walk-On is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 03:38 PM   #38
Illini B-Ball Fan
The Illini has just a good a chance at Mays compared to any other team at this point - give it your best coach.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 05:12 PM   #39
UncleBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
The guy I talked to made it sound like it was almost a done deal to UK. He never mentioned anyone else and I was surprised that UK would be interested I never thought to ask him. I told him I thought he'd sit on the bench at UK and he said the kid is a star but plays with kids that cannot handle his pace at Wright State (thus the turnovers and his lack of assists). By then it was time for his rectal exam and that kind of squelched the basketball talk.

I don't know personally. This guy knows a lot more about WSU than I do (the WSU in Dayton that is ) though. Hearing what he had to say I hope we get him though.
I just flashed back to a scene from Fletch.
UncleBob is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 05:16 PM   #40
CARPET
I would love to land Mays, this kid can play some basketball.

Playing time with his new team has got to be an issue for him to consider.

Based on PT alone I would rule out Michigan State, Julius would serve at best a solid bench role there.

Purdue would offer Mays a starting role from day one.

Kentucky is a real wild card in the mix, after missing on two early attempts they place their attention to Mays. I am not sure just how he would fit into Kentucky's current team? If anyone out there has intelligence on the current back court make up of Kentucky that would be appreciated. I am only interested in potential playing time that this player might have with KY.

ILLINOIS would be the best of both worlds for Mays. He would get playing time and it would be split between TA and him.

My gut says this kid heads to Purdue. I hope I am wrong because we don't need to be seeing him against us in the Big 10.
CARPET is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 05:48 PM   #41
FinalFour88
The mid-major transfer prospects are still in full swing...
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 06:11 PM   #42
redriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
Really. I mean we have really been killing Missouri, and UK is damn lucky they don't play Illinois.
redriver is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 06:24 PM   #43
jackman404
Banned
Purdue is too good of a fit for us to win this one, especially if Kentucky and Michigan State are also involved. Would be pleasantly surprised if we could pull this off, but definitely not expecting it. Oh well, nothing to lose here by trying.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:23 PM   #44
Sullivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
+1. With RR on board, guys like JB and MyH know they're in for a battle for PT in 2013. And if JG lands Mays, TA, DJ and BP know they won't just be given PT next season. And bringing in SML means NE, ID and perhaps TG and MS know they're in for a battle for PT, too. Accountability is a good thing in this case.
Your mastery of initials is truly mind-boggling.
Sullivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:46 PM   #45
illinied
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
IDK WTH YTA
illinied is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:48 PM   #46
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinied View Post
IDK WTH YTA
Embarassing.
I know what you said!

Guess I'm just old, not a full fossil:laugh:
FeelYourPaign is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:52 PM   #47
illiniguy24
With transfer Ryan Harrow being eligible next year, and Kentucky signing another 5 star guard, I would think that Kentucky would be out of the mix if he was looking for playing time. As much talent as they are bringing in they are still rebuilding after losing they're whole starting five, and he only has one year of eligibility...but still, it is Kentucky.

I would love to see this kid come though, I can't watch BP be our backup point guard for another year.

Old May 9, 2012, 09:02 PM   #48
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Embarassing.
I know what you said!

Guess I'm just old, not a full fossil:laugh:
I know exactly what you mean: I understood it, too

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:13 PM   #49
jmwillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but you wouldn't take a one year transfer that doesn't take a scholarship away from anyone? You would just leave us short a player next year?
jmwillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 07:23 AM   #50
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
I work full time with HS (high-school) students.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »