Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:20 PM   #26
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
He's definitely more explosive. I knew he could jump but in this video his head is almost at the rim!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:20 PM   #27
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
I got a feeling he is going to be even better than we think.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:22 PM   #28
Kramer116
It sucks regarding KBD but I guess the one positive is that we will not waste any more time recruiting him. On to the next guy. I still feel Groce will be a star here and really be a good recruiter.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:27 PM   #29
illinisc
I'm pretty excited about Maryland and Rutger's joining the Big. Mainly because it'll increases our visibility in the East Coast television market. Groce and Dustin Ford in particular have already shown they can go out east and recruit. They got Colbert and we're close with XRM and Ennis. I wonder if this will help out with guys like Zabo?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:31 PM   #30
IlliNYC
Quote:
Wow.

A big & a point for 2014. And if one of those could be an elite kid...maybe now that the downstate kids are turning us down, we'll become the school of choice for Chicago!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:37 PM   #31
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
I have felt for a long time Nunn would be the best player on our team the minute he stepped foot on campus. This was before he committed, so he was the guy I really wanted. I was jacked when he committed. Hill is more of a natural scorer, but Nunn has a better overall game IMO.

Best player right away may be a tad optimistic, especially if Abrams continues to improve. Nevertheless, Nunn is going to be very important for us next year and he's going to get a lot of minutes. He doesn't do one particular thing extremely well, but he does everything very well IMO. He is a plus defender, however, and the kid is a fighter. Abrams at the point and Nunn at the 2G wouldn't exactly be the worst backcourt we've seen and it would be one of the nastiest.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:43 PM   #32
Botb9
Realist
With Tate on board, do you think he gets significant minutes alongside his Simeon teammate?

Also, is there any truth to the rumors of Hill growing to 6'7"? The last video I saw of him doesn't make it quite clear.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:46 PM   #33
dtownillini
Banned
Does anyone know if Hill is really 6'7" now?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:46 PM   #34
Clete1
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
2013 was just a top 10-20 class. Got a stud in Hill, imo. We didn't get Parker, but we didn't want Foster. Foster is a midmajor type, imo. Why even mention him? Groce didn't want him or Tommy Hamilton. We got the second and third best players out of the state in Hill and Nunn. Not bad.

2014 we still have a chance to have a good class. KBD is a loss, no doubt. We don't want Peyton Allen, so why mention him? We still have a shot at Austin but there may be better options out there. Finke is a riser who is getting good offers. He has a chance to be a 6-10 kid with shooting and ballhandling skills. I hope he becomes an Illini.

2015 is mentioned because the class is loaded and it is the next time we have a boatload of scholarships available.

I don't get the gloom and doom. Yes, we can't reload as fast as Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky. You are talking about the top four programs in the country and we are not one of them. However, Indiana is considered a top program and it took them longer than two years to reload.
I agree with just about all of this.

I think the original poster mentioned Foster because he was just as highly rated as a Fr and S as some of our key 2015 targets are now. Having the elite programs swoop in at the last minute and grab recruits isn't the only danger of looking so far in advance.

Without getting into detailed player by player comparisons (or more Weber bashing), it took Weber until 2009 coming off our run in 2005 to bring in a similarly rated class to the one Groce just got after 7 mos on the job. I think that bodes pretty well for the future. As for the in-state 2015 studs, Groce has the time to build the type of relationship that will allow recruits like Matthews to say no to UK, Duke, etc.

While it is a PR hit, from a basketball standpoint losing KBD is less significant than losing DJ. We need a point - maybe it's Austin - I don't know. But on the wing we have other options, starting with Hill. I was chastised for saying we are in "wait until 2015" mode in the other thread, but I meant that in terms of the in-state 5 star types for 2014. Out of state, who knows?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:47 PM   #35
Obelix
Quote:
I have felt for a long time Nunn would be the best player on our team the minute he stepped foot on campus. This was before he committed, so he was the guy I really wanted. I was jacked when he committed. Hill is more of a natural scorer, but Nunn has a better overall game IMO.

Best player right away may be a tad optimistic, especially if Abrams continues to improve. Nevertheless, Nunn is going to be very important for us next year and he's going to get a lot of minutes. He doesn't do one particular thing extremely well, but he does everything very well IMO. He is a plus defender, however, and the kid is a fighter. Abrams at the point and Nunn at the 2G wouldn't exactly be the worst backcourt we've seen and it would be one of the nastiest.
Abrams current performance is very encouraging. Small sample size so far, but he is playing better and has made more progress than I had expected. He single-handedly kept us in the game vs. Hawaii until the rest of the team woke up.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:56 PM   #36
Indicchief
Banned
I feel the KDB "loss" has more to do with perhaps not getting a Lyle - in the next few months - than anything else.

2014 ideal recruits: 2 quality PGs + a Big.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:02 PM   #37
illineuron
Nice video. The only times I had seen Nunn before he looked like a good shooter, nice defender, heady ball player. That's a different guy right there.

Unlike a lot of high school stars who develop physically early, it's evident that he is just now hitting his stride athletically. With his level of skill development and now elevating like that, he's the combo platter.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:02 PM   #38
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
I feel the KDB "loss" has more to do with perhaps not getting a Lyle - in the next few months - than anything else.

2014 ideal recruits: 2 quality PGs + a Big.
Not sure if KBD affects Lyle. In the general sense that talent can attract more talent, yes. But IIRC KBD has stated that he is not very close to some of our other top targets.

Lyle/Alexander will have more influence on each other, but both are long shots.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:05 PM   #39
HsvIllini
Quote:

Not to mention he's been doing one heck of a job trying to help recruit for us too
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:09 PM   #40
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosox View Post
Question: If Finke says today that he will accept our offer, do we take him? Or, do we concentrate on first finding a point guard and then taking Finke only once we know that someone is leaving the program so we have an open scholarship? As much as I would like to get Finke (and not have a local kid come back to bite us in the future), I guess I would favor locking down a point guard first as solid point guards are the key to Groce's system and I am still not sure if Tate is the answer. Of course, maybe the coaches already know that someone will be leaving at semester break, so maybe they will feel they have two scholarships to work with and can take both Finke and a point guard. Should be interesting.
If Finke tells Groce he wants in, I'll be shocked if we do anything but accept his commitment.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:16 PM   #41
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
If Finke tells Groce he wants in, I'll be shocked if we do anything but accept his commitment.
I agree. And likely have more scholarship offers extended to other recruits. Things will play themselves out.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:17 PM   #42
Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturkillini View Post
For me one thing is for sure. It will hurt to see the Top 3 Illinois kids from 2014 class:
KBD in Ohio State jersey
Okafor in Kentucky jersey
CA in MichState jersey

I think Groce made a good start, not spectacular, in terms of recruiting. I know Illinois basketball program has been down lately, but look at Ohio State program when Matta took over, or Indiana program when Crean took over, and think how fast these guys were able to recruit final 4 talent? THEY didn't need to win first to attract 5* studs, but we do. I still have faith in Groce, but I admit he is not as good a recruiter as some other coaches out there.

As far as programs go, I think the coach is more important than the school. Calipari will bring in 5* talent wherever he goes. Ohio State was not a great basketball program before Matta came, but they instantly became one. If Groce was as good a recruiter as some of us believe, he would have shown that in Ohio even. A great recruiter would be able to land some 4* talent to Ohio, and some 5* talent to Illinois.

Having said that, he will do fine though in long term, I believe. If I was a great player, I would love to play for a coach like Groce because he really sounds like a hardworking, honest man, who will strive to help his players develop. But in today's world 5* recruits are just looking for the right person who will inject them to NBA in 1 season, and apparently they don't see Groce as one, including KBD.
I didn't look, but it took Crean a little bit to get those five star guys. What is he in, his fourth year at IU, and Zeller was the first really big name that he got. He got some other nice players, but until Zeller, who is a soph. and the current freshmen, he hadn't gotten anything like five star talent.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:18 PM   #43
zoggle101
Nunn has always been explosive. He blocked a dunk attempt iirc by Dawson(MSU) as a sophomore and attacked the basket against him with no fear. Eric Bledsoe comparisons have been thrown around because he also gets after it defensively. If he has grown we're going to have to find a new comparison. It wouldn't surprise me to see his ranking jump 20 spots or more this year even if he hasnt grown. Hopefully an advanced scout gets down to the Metro East and Hills stock rises again lik it was pre blood clot.

What great class. We shouldn't drop out of the top 17 when it's all said and done. I'm thinking 14th even though I think the potential is 7-10th.

Foster is not a mid,ajor player unless you call the BIG a mid major conference.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:27 PM   #44
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Well either way we still have one scholarship for 2014 regardless, so come on Cliff Alexander!! I would take him over KBD any day!
While i would love to have had KBD i do believe a big strong body like Cliff to be a enforcer bruiser type with some skills to go along with it are in dire need for us going forward. Even a team like Hawaii exposed that hole in our line up. I would love to find someone out there under the radar that fits this mold or at the top like Cliff either way i hope Groce can find the big post player that can rebound with Michigan St and we will be all good!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:32 PM   #45
Madturkillini
Quote:

I'm getting excited over Abrams-Nunn-Hill trio as well.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:33 PM   #46
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Nunn has always been explosive. He blocked a dunk attempt iirc by Dawson(MSU) as a sophomore and attacked the basket against him with no fear. Eric Bledsoe comparisons have been thrown around because he also gets after it defensively. If he has grown we're going to have to find a new comparison. It wouldn't surprise me to see his ranking jump 20 spots or more this year even if he hasnt grown. Hopefully an advanced scout gets down to the Metro East and Hills stock rises again lik it was pre blood clot.

What great class. We shouldn't drop out of the top 17 when it's all said and done. I'm thinking 14th even though I think the potential is 7-10th.

Foster is not a mid,ajor player unless you call the BIG a mid major conference.
Yes, I know he signed with Minnesota, but he is a midmajor plus kid, imo. Lots of those types are at Big Ten schools. We have a few.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:34 PM   #47
PeoriaChief
Quote:
2013 was just a top 10-20 class. Got a stud in Hill, imo. We didn't get Parker, but we didn't want Foster. Foster is a midmajor type, imo. Why even mention him? Groce didn't want him or Tommy Hamilton. We got the second and third best players out of the state in Hill and Nunn. Not bad.

2014 we still have a chance to have a good class. KBD is a loss, no doubt. We don't want Peyton Allen, so why mention him? We still have a shot at Austin but there may be better options out there. Finke is a riser who is getting good offers. He has a chance to be a 6-10 kid with shooting and ballhandling skills. I hope he becomes an Illini.

2015 is mentioned because the class is loaded and it is the next time we have a boatload of scholarships available.

I don't get the gloom and doom. Yes, we can't reload as fast as Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky. You are talking about the top four programs in the country and we are not one of them. However, Indiana is considered a top program and it took them longer than two years to reload.
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I was just saying how we always look forward looking for our savior. Some kids pan out, others don't. And the top kids that we "lead" for 2 years out usually go to the blue bloods. Foster was not viewed as mid-major 2 years ago, and we talked about the big 3 of Foster, Parker and Hamilton were going to put us back on top.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 PM   #48
PeoriaChief
My other point was that its way too early to claim a lead on any 2015 prospect because their true recruitment hasn't yet begun. I didn't intend for my post to come off as doom or gloom. I know there is a difference between Groce recruiting these kids and Weber, and I have faith Groce wil get us players to be successful. Just saying that nothing is promised or guarenteed with these top players in 2015. I don't want to get my hopes up for a player that is 3 years out when I've seen how these things play out several times. I am hopeful and optimistic though because I believe in CJG.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:53 PM   #49
zoggle101
Quote:
Yes, I know he signed with Minnesota, but he is a midmajor plus kid, imo. Lots of those types are at Big Ten schools. We have a few.
I sure it will be hard to judge him at MINNY. Tubby seems to always have 4-5 6'7 sf/undersized pf types.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:58 PM   #50
First2Ten
Malcolm told me today he's a legit 6'7 FWIW
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »