Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

11/23 John Groce teleconference

Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley

Quote:
Groce: He and staff know a lot more about team after Hawaii trip. Toughness and resolve were impressive.

Groce: Guys are understanding the system better and getting more comfortable.

Groce: Toughness and togetherness have been exceptional. Loves coaching the guys, excited to be back.

Groce: The rotation worked well, guys were ready to play. Great energy off the bench.

Groce: Each guy improved overall as the tournament went on. Abrams is understanding PG better. Paul better at both positions.

Groce: Griffey played with great confidence. Always know what you're getting with DJ. Guarded other team's top perimeter guy.

Groce: D.J. wishes he was making more, but Coach isn't worried about that. Doing other things to impact team.

Groce: Team will work out light tonight, Gradner-Webb prep starts tonight. WIll get after it a little bit tomorrow.

Groce: Got popped in mouth at Hawaii, weren't ready mentally. Raucous environment.

Groce: Learned a lot about the resolve of team, the four seniors really help with that.

Groce: The teams we played were good, Hawaii environment was tough, you've got to be tough to beat Butler.

Groce: To win Illinois' first Maui Invite was a privilege. Still have to rebound better, foul less, need better execution.

Groce: Knows G-W very well, knows the head coach very well, former college teammate.

Groce: Won at DePaul, had Iowa down by 20 earlier in season.

Guys were excited, ecstatic, but guys were tired after four games in six days. Got great rest.

Groce: Happy with how team is running offense at times. Hold ball a little too much at times in half court.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG

Last edited by Dan; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:51 PM   #2
zoggle101
Anyone ask coach how we stack up to his old team or is that going to be off limits this season?
zoggle101 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:58 PM   #3
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Anyone ask coach how we stack up to his old team or is that going to be off limits this season?
His old team is off to a good start, 4-0 though they haven't played anyone yet. That will change as they take on Richmond tomorrow. Kenpom has them #38 and projects them to 24-6 and the best team in the MAC. Had Groce stayed, he'd probably be a very hot commodity during next spring's coaching carousel.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
His old team is off to a good start, 4-0 though they haven't played anyone yet. That will change as they take on Richmond tomorrow. Kenpom has them #38 and projects them to 24-6 and the best team in the MAC. Had Groce stayed, he'd probably be a very hot commodity during next spring's coaching carousel.
I know how they're doing and have an opinion of them but I'm sure that is for everyone else

I wanted to know if coach has compared them?
zoggle101 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:15 PM   #5
illiniwil
Groce telecon

I love how coach responded to the question second-guessing the competition on the trip. " I don't understand the question." Then " ask Roy Williams how good Butler is." Defending the kids accomplishment in a fashion that almost challenges the writer to follow up. Stupid question.
illiniwil is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:01 PM   #6
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwil View Post
I love how coach responded to the question second-guessing the competition on the trip. " I don't understand the question." Then " ask Roy Williams how good Butler is." Defending the kids accomplishment in a fashion that almost challenges the writer to follow up. Stupid question.
Yes -- Love his attitude so far to the questions that are designed to get a rise out of him. It's translating to the team.

Another great quote is how we are still holding the ball too much in the half-court. Awesome!
illinois_hustle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_hustle View Post
Yes -- Love his attitude so far to the questions that are designed to get a rise out of him. It's translating to the team.
Groce is VERY good with the media, and this is a key part of the job description for a high major coach.

Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:09 PM   #8
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Groce is VERY good with the media, and this is a key part of the job description for a high major coach.
A key part that was missing in both Weber and Zook.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
+1. Strongly, strongly agree.
Illiniwek06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:24 PM   #10
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Great teleconference. Love the way he handled the question about the competition in the Maui Invitational. You can tell, Coach Groce is very serious about basketball, has facts and figures about most teams, and seems to know just about everybody in the game.

I'll bet he is always going to be positive, with a healthy amount of constructive criticism for his players, pushing them to get better. You can tell he is in charge, that's for sure. No wonder the players have reacted so well to the change in leadership thus far. I doubt that will change, but it will be really interesting to see how the season progresses, especially with the tough Big 10 season ahead.

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Illini B-Ball Fan
Team is coming together nicely in all aspects. Should be able to give both Gonzaga and MO fits.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Dan
Admin

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:28 PM   #13
CharlesLawrence
These boys are focused

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »