Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Alioneye: Nobody Does Trainwreck Like Illinois Football

Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
KJKobs
Quote:
If this was just a bad football program like Indiana or New Mexico, it would almost be easier to stomach.
But just this new century we’ve gone BCS -> 2-30 -> BCS -> 3-9 -> back-to-back bowls -> 14 game B1G losing streak. Who does that?
Quote:
We just had our third train derailment in the last 15 years, the cars are scattered everywhere, and our old athletic director would still insist that the tracks are fine. It will be years before the new AD can fix the tracks and find a manageable schedule for this train.

But now the new conductor he hired doesn’t appear to have a clue.

http://alioneye.com/2012/11/25/nobod...nois-football/

Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Dan
Admin
Quote:
You've seen the circles of parity for other conferences. Here's how the B1G does it. (via r/cfb) http://pic.twitter.com/970jLGGb

http://twitter.com/11W
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3
DrewD007
DrewD007 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:47 PM   #4
uiba99
Tiny Illini
I laughed. Because it's so true. Now I'm gonna hear Nelson Muntz in my head every time I see Beckman.

"The danger is all around us now. Hatred is rising, yet all sides feel more virtuous. We’re asleep to the threat. We can have the most sophisticated Constitution, a brilliant system of checks and balances and a Bill of Rights to safeguard against the tyranny of the majority — yet none of it can stand against the power of hatred."
Fr. John I. Jenkins, President, University of Notre Dame
uiba99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
WingDinger
"But now the new conductor he hired doesn’t appear to have a clue."

Ouch. Sounds like barcalounger and his side-kicks need to have a good old fashion beat down on ALionEye.
WingDinger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
WingDinger
"Our Big Ten losing streak has reached 14 games, and with the Big Ten schedule opening with Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Penn State next year, it will reach 18 before we even blink."

Very true.

For those of you that keep your season tickets next year (or even go to a game) - You are the consummate Illini fan and should be congratulated.
WingDinger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:22 PM   #7
GilThorpe
it is more difficult being an Illini football fan than it is being a Cub fan
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:25 PM   #8
NicelyDone
Banned
I spent the day in Champaign watching good football. Saw Lequon Treadwell play. He won't get on this train either...............
NicelyDone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:20 PM   #9
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
It's really strange when laid out like this. We wreck the train, then build it again, then wreck it again ... rinse and repeat. It begs the question of which you'd rather have every 10 year period: 2-3 BCS-level seasons then obscurity the other years, or 7-8 solid bowl seasons with records of 7-5 and 8-4? For me I think I know the answer to this: give me the old reliable beaten up diesel train that performs well year after year.

I'm also thinking of a relationship analogy that could apply as well, but I think I'd better not go there.
illinois_hustle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Sure, Illinois got pummeled by Northwestern to end the season winless in the Big Ten. But the rules screwed the Illini in coach Tim Beckman's first season, and if we'd made only one change, the season would have been far, far different. Under my "first team to score in the game wins" rule, Illinois is 5-3 in the conference and probably Rose Bowl bound!

http://deadspin.com/5963345/college-...ium=socialflow
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:08 AM   #11
hermie1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_hustle View Post
It's really strange when laid out like this. We wreck the train, then build it again, then wreck it again ... rinse and repeat. It begs the question of which you'd rather have every 10 year period: 2-3 BCS-level seasons then obscurity the other years, or 7-8 solid bowl seasons with records of 7-5 and 8-4? For me I think I know the answer to this: give me the old reliable beaten up diesel train that performs well year after year.

I'm also thinking of a relationship analogy that could apply as well, but I think I'd better not go there.
Super model every once in awhile vs the status quo? Maybe the big BCS season ain't so bad.
hermie1985 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »