Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Breaking Down the Unbeatens: Real Deal and the Frauds

Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
NOT BUYING

ILLINOIS (8-0) - Few would have thought than John Groce would have began his career in Champaign with eight consecutive wins, but that's exactly what's happened. The Illini have a couple of decent wins en route to the Maui Invitational title, but let's face it: That event was just ordinary this year. They beat USC, Butler and Chaminade - and also got past Georgia Tech at home. The other wins? Colgate, St. Francis (N.Y.) and Gardner-Webb. Brandon Paul is one of the best guards in the country, but there's just not enough around him to sustain anything like this. Look for the Illini in the NIT this year.

Next Game: Dec. 4 vs. Western Carolina
Next Test: Dec. 8 at Gonzaga
First Loss: Dec. 8 at Gonzaga

Jeff Goodman
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
smallrock98
Banned
Prepare to eat some crow Goodman!
smallrock98 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Look for the Illini in the NIT this year.
Challenge accepted, Jeff Goodman.

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Bulletin board material.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:36 PM   #5
zoggle101
See, Good,an knows about a unique situation down in Oxboro.

I don't really agree and think they are all legitamate teams who will most likely be playing in he NCAA or at the very least a NIT run. I do think a few teams are ranked too high but that wil sort itself out during the rest of the non conference slate.

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:37 PM   #6
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
All you can do is beat the teams you play and that's what Illinois has done so far. I don't mind that he's not buying, but to call us an NIT team is a bit much. Oh well, more motivation.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:39 PM   #7
lstewart53x3
Cincinnati barely beat Alabama at home a few days ago and New Mexico barely beat Indiana State. Neither one of those teams has a much better resume than we do.

Illinois is definitely going to lose some games, especially in BiG play, but I see us making the dance.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:39 PM   #8
JimmyChitwood
This type of stuff is good for putting chips on player's shoulders.

at least we werent in his "frauds" list LOL
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:51 PM   #9
zoggle101
Bama and Cincy played a great game but the better team won this year. Bama is a solid young team who Coach Grant has on the rise. If everyone come back which I expect they'll be a pre season top 25 team without a doubt.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:57 PM   #10
ILLWKU
I know some players love it when writers come out and say things like this. This will be posted throughout the locker room, should have them motivated.
ILLWKU is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Botb9
Realist
To only make the NIT at this point would assume that Illinois would have to go 8-10 or possibly worse in the B1G. I just don't see that happening. For one thing, the B1G is not as dominant top to bottom this year as last year, and the other, Illinois is just playing better this year.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Serious Late
Location: Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
To only make the NIT at this point would assume that Illinois would have to go 8-10 or possibly worse in the B1G. I just don't see that happening. For one thing, the B1G is not as dominant top to bottom this year as last year, and the other, Illinois is just playing better this year.
In my opinion, the Big Ten is both stronger at the top, and deeper this year than last.

The NIT comment was a bit of a slap, but I have no issue with Goodman remaining skeptical about this team. If many of us as fans are still skeptical, then I am less than surprised a national writer is.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:01 PM   #13
chief78
No respect, so the Illini will just have to earn it. Start with WCU tomorrow night and then on to Spokane......
chief78 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:13 PM   #14
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Oxboro

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:21 PM   #15
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
8-10 isn't that unrealistic and is what Pomeroy currently projects us at. However, assuming we go at worst 12-2 in the non-conference, 8-10 would put us on the bubble with a decent chance to get in the NCAAs. We'd either have no bad losses or pick up a quality win or two. Win a BTT game or two and we'd probably be dancing.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:28 PM   #16
OnBintheLou
Goodman skipped over the true road win at Hawai'i...not that it would have carried much weight with him
OnBintheLou is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
In my opinion, the Big Ten is both stronger at the top, and deeper this year than last.

The NIT comment was a bit of a slap, but I have no issue with Goodman remaining skeptical about this team. If many of us as fans are still skeptical, then I am less than surprised a national writer is.
I don't have an issue with Goodman's belief either. I do happen to think he's wrong at season's end.

I don't think the conference is deeper. Stronger at the top, I can give you. Purdue looks to be down, and Northwestern doesn't look like they're going to challenge for a postseason spot. I think those are games we are better prepared to win this year. Minny is far improved, and that's surprising, but they may be the only other team besides Illinois that will improve from the bottom half.

As is tradition with this conference, though, we will lose at least one game we shouldn't and win one game we shouldn't.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:59 PM   #18
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnBintheLou View Post
Goodman skipped over the true road win at Hawai'i...not that it would have carried much weight with him
Hawaii is tough and it is a great road win. Stanhardinger the transfer from Nebraska for the Warriors had a good game against the Rebels dropping 22+ points on them.

Oxford**** nice catch
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:00 PM   #19
MrQuist
Unfortunately, 8-10 in the conference is quite possible (Ken Pom has us at 8-10 for example), and that will not send us to dance regardless of the non conference schedule.

8 wins: 2x Nebraska, 2x NW, and home against PSU, Minny, Purdue, Wisky
10 losses: 2x OSU, 2x Michigan, home against Indiana and away against MSU, Purdue, Wisky, Iowa, Minny,
MrQuist is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:04 PM   #20
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
Yes, I am skeptical that we will be a top 13 team at the end of the season (as we are currently ranked) but at this point it would be a surprise if we didn't make the NCAA tournament.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:09 PM   #21
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuist View Post
Unfortunately, 8-10 in the conference is quite possible (Ken Pom has us at 8-10 for example), and that will not send us to dance regardless of the non conference schedule.

8 wins: 2x Nebraska, 2x NW, and home against PSU, Minny, Purdue, Wisky
10 losses: 2x OSU, 2x Michigan, home against Indiana and away against MSU, Purdue, Wisky, Iowa, Minny,
I wouldn't be so definitive about that. We'd be on the bubble for sure, but our RPI would be good, we'd have no bad losses and quality wins over MN and UW. Possibly Butler as well depending on how their season works out.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:10 PM   #22
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
I wouldn't be so definitive about that. We'd be on the bubble for sure, but our RPI would be good, we'd have no bad losses and quality wins over MN and UW. Possibly Butler as well depending on how their season works out.
It would be bubbly...we're going to need to win games like @Iowa
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Ress
I can understand Goodman having doubts, the memory of the 2nd half of last season is still fresh.
Ress is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:12 PM   #24
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
It would be bubbly...we're going to need to win games like @Iowa
To be comfortably in, yes. Win there and/or @Purdue. Or any other road game.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:30 PM   #25
IllinEye
While I hope to God we prove him wrong, I could see it. We're going to have a lot of trouble defending teams with strong post play and Lord be with us if we go through an extended streak of poor 3 point shooting. On top of all that the B1G is just stupid good this year. I guess I'm still a bit skeptical just because of how last season went, but it looks like we're on the right track
IllinEye is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »