Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Costas Gun Rant

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:19 AM   #1
DaytonIllini
DaytonIllini's Avatar
Posts: 18,325
Costas went off about guns in a football halftime after Belcher killed himself and his girlfriend.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...r-suicide.html

There was a backlash and he tried backtracking his nonsense but couldn't fail to put in the usual 'if you were too dumb to understand what I said, I am sorry.'

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...a_mistake.html

He said he was talking about gun culture rather than gun control which isn't true if you look at the transcript. Just remember,
Quote:
maybe I gave the audience too much credit
.

Sorry Bob. We are not too dumb to know what your liberal rant meant. You were too dumb to keep it to yourself on national TV.

__________________
No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.
-- James Madison
DaytonIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:31 AM   #2
pizzaman
pizzaman's Avatar
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Posts: 2,561
I heard it on TV. I really didn't see anything wrong with his comments. IIRC he simply made the point that the presense of guns makes it easy to kill people. I didn't relisten or read a transcript so my memory might be off but basically, I thought he was making a point that if you own a gun you (and other family members) better have good control of your anger and temper. Once it's done, you can't get a do-over.

Listeners take offense at anything someone says so he should just shut up and live with his comments. If some don't like it, so be it. JMO
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #3
KBLEE
KBLEE's Avatar
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 6,687
Since Costas' remarks, there have been many talk show personalities who have picked up where Bob left off. One of these is Piers Morgan.

This is a real Twitter convo:



KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4
DaytonIllini
DaytonIllini's Avatar
Posts: 18,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I heard it on TV. I really didn't see anything wrong with his comments. IIRC he simply made the point that the presense of guns makes it easy to kill people. I didn't relisten or read a transcript so my memory might be off but basically, I thought he was making a point that if you own a gun you (and other family members) better have good control of your anger and temper. Once it's done, you can't get a do-over.

Listeners take offense at anything someone says so he should just shut up and live with his comments. If some don't like it, so be it. JMO
You probably should look at the transcript before commenting if you think that was his point.

Not to mention the fact that he was quoting a guy who states that the NRA is the new KKK.

So anyone that would suggest he wasn't advocating gun control is simply wrong.

__________________
No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.
-- James Madison
DaytonIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
DaytonIllini
DaytonIllini's Avatar
Posts: 18,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
Since Costas' remarks, there have been many talk show personalities who have picked up where Bob left off. One of these is Piers Morgan.

This is a real Twitter convo:



Morgan is not too impressive. His ratings are horrendous.

I think he had less than a quarter million viewers the other night. They just cancelled a network show with no viewership (had 5 million people only).

__________________
No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.
-- James Madison
DaytonIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
Location: Surrounded by Cornfields
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
Since Costas' remarks, there have been many talk show personalities who have picked up where Bob left off. One of these is Piers Morgan.

This is a real Twitter convo:



lol. He threw her a total softball. What a dummy.

Guns account for 50% or less of all homicides in 10 states.

I am no NRA member. Guns scare me. I don't like being around them. I'm more of a Liberal than a Conservative. But stricter gun control can only make things worse. Look at the War on Drugs and Prohibition. People want what they want and other people want to sell them what they want. And when you try take it away they react violently.

Sooner or later guys like Costas have to come to terms with the fact that Man is sometimes violent by nature and people will kill people no matter how much you try to legislate it away, and you have to be careful that you don't make the problem worse in trying to do so.

__________________
"Bruce can't recruit worth a crap." - BackPayne, goEMAW.com
Cool Hand Luke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Sure Shot
Banned
Posts: 1,912
I mean, wanting the gun culture to go away is almost as fanciful as the idea that European gun control laws could give us European violent crime rates, but in Costas' defense, those are two different things.
Sure Shot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:43 PM   #8
pizzaman
pizzaman's Avatar
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Posts: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
You probably should look at the transcript before commenting if you think that was his point.
You're right, I didn't really concentrate on his comments so I probably missed his point. I still say if he felt compelled to comment he should stick with his point of view and not try to backtrack.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
CaptainHindsight
Location: Champaign
Posts: 408
"muskets" BURNED!!!!!! LOL
CaptainHindsight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:54 PM   #10
-josh-
Banana no more
-josh-'s Avatar
Location: The paign born and raised
Posts: 4,858
They can have my glock .45 when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

__________________
Peter Dinklage
-josh- is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:12 PM   #11
zoggle101
Posts: 5,005
I've never felt unsafe even in some shady areas of town to need or want a gun. I'm about to have my first child tonight and this could change the way I think. I personally think guns make some weak, unstable people way stronger than they are. Anyone can pull a trigger and kill someone. These gangsters shoot people or have multiple people jump one person are jokes. Theyre showing the only way they can be strong is in numbers. The military and police forces have some very unstable people with too much power and with the steroid use by both groups can be scary to deal with.

I personally get a kick out of amatuer hunters who really think they did something special by killing a defenseless deer with a gun that has a scope. Wow, guys great job but I'd be a lot more impressed if you wrestled it down, dropped a couple elbows, and choked it out.

Watching these doomsday preppers shows shows that there are plenty of people who shouldn't be armed. I'm not real high on our Goverment letting anyone in the armed forces either. There are plenty of soldiers who shouldn't be learning how to kill people. One thing that does scare me is hearing Military members express extreme views.

Costas should stick to his views even if they are not popular within the US because of the gun culture.

Like Pizza said there are no do overs when you take these extremes. I'm sure the guy who killed that boy last summer wishes he didn't. I read another story where a dad shot his kid trying to sneak back into the house killing him. Could you guys imagine???

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 5, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Sybok
Posts: 1,073
Costas thinks too highly of himself. If he was suspended from SNF for the rest of the year, the show would still go on.
Sybok is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:45 PM   #13
gibb52
Posts: 1,016
Maybe I'm just grouchy in my old age but I don't give a damn about Bob Costas's views on the 2nd amendment. I watch sports to get away from everything else that's going on. It irritates me when these buffoons use their camera time to spout off about non sports matters.

I also hate going to concerts and having to listen to performers make political statements or criticisms of the political processes. I paid to hear you play and sing, so shut up already and do what you're paid to do.

And get off my lawn!
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
-josh-
Banana no more
-josh-'s Avatar
Location: The paign born and raised
Posts: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I've never felt unsafe even in some shady areas of town to need or want a gun. I'm about to have my first child tonight and this could change the way I think. I personally think guns make some weak, unstable people way stronger than they are. Anyone can pull a trigger and kill someone. These gangsters shoot people or have multiple people jump one person are jokes. Theyre showing the only way they can be strong is in numbers. The military and police forces have some very unstable people with too much power and with the steroid use by both groups can be scary to deal with.

I personally get a kick out of amatuer hunters who really think they did something special by killing a defenseless deer with a gun that has a scope. Wow, guys great job but I'd be a lot more impressed if you wrestled it down, dropped a couple elbows, and choked it out.

Watching these doomsday preppers shows shows that there are plenty of people who shouldn't be armed. I'm not real high on our Goverment letting anyone in the armed forces either. There are plenty of soldiers who shouldn't be learning how to kill people. One thing that does scare me is hearing Military members express extreme views.

Costas should stick to his views even if they are not popular within the US because of the gun culture.

Like Pizza said there are no do overs when you take these extremes. I'm sure the guy who killed that boy last summer wishes he didn't. I read another story where a dad shot his kid trying to sneak back into the house killing him. Could you guys imagine???

I respectfully disagree with your view on guns, and coming from a military family and lots of military friends i am offended by your take on our soldiers. But that's what makes this country great, everyone can have an opinion without being persecuted. In fact i hope you go the rest of your life without ever needing to use firearms in any way. Also most of my friends who hunt do it because deer meat tastes awesome, the trophy antlers aren't even a forethought.

The one thing i cannot stand right now more than anything is people who have opposing views who try to impose their beliefs on other people; if you don't like me having guns that's fine but don't try to take my rights away because you don't believe in them.


I have my firearm for home protection, and i hope to god i never have to use it, the only time i take it out is to practice firing it in a safe location. But if the day comes when someone makes the mistake of trying to take whats mine or to take my life or my families they'll get one warning shot before i put one in their skull.

__________________
Peter Dinklage
-josh- is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:38 PM   #15
gibb52
Posts: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
I respectfully disagree with your view on guns, and coming from a military family and lots of military friends i am offended by your take on our soldiers. But that's what makes this country great, everyone can have an opinion without being persecuted. In fact i hope you go the rest of your life without ever needing to use firearms in any way. Also most of my friends who hunt do it because deer meat tastes awesome, the trophy antlers aren't even a forethought.

The one thing i cannot stand right now more than anything is people who have opposing views who try to impose their beliefs on other people; if you don't like me having guns that's fine but don't try to take my rights away because you don't believe in them.


I have my firearm for home protection, and i hope to god i never have to use it, the only time i take it out is to practice firing it in a safe location. But if the day comes when someone makes the mistake of trying to take whats mine or to take my life or my families they'll get one warning shot before i put one in their skull.
No warning shot from me.

And congrats Zoggle, hope all goes well for everyone. Keep it in the Illini family. Dee is a good name for a boy or girl.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:54 PM   #16
zoggle101
Posts: 5,005
I didn't mean to offend Josh. I know good and bad police along with Military members. I'm not worried about the goods ones but only the bad apples. Sorry once again brother. The same goes for the deer hunters and that's why I called the ones im not happy with amateur hunters. A million apologies my friend.

He'll be an Illini just like his mother and a fanatic fan who admires one of the greatest state universities in the country.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:15 AM   #17
ill07
ill07's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I've never felt unsafe even in some shady areas of town to need or want a gun. I'm about to have my first child tonight and this could change the way I think. I personally think guns make some weak, unstable people way stronger than they are. Anyone can pull a trigger and kill someone. These gangsters shoot people or have multiple people jump one person are jokes. Theyre showing the only way they can be strong is in numbers. The military and police forces have some very unstable people with too much power and with the steroid use by both groups can be scary to deal with.

I personally get a kick out of amatuer hunters who really think they did something special by killing a defenseless deer with a gun that has a scope. Wow, guys great job but I'd be a lot more impressed if you wrestled it down, dropped a couple elbows, and choked it out.

Watching these doomsday preppers shows shows that there are plenty of people who shouldn't be armed. I'm not real high on our Goverment letting anyone in the armed forces either. There are plenty of soldiers who shouldn't be learning how to kill people. One thing that does scare me is hearing Military members express extreme views.

Costas should stick to his views even if they are not popular within the US because of the gun culture.

Like Pizza said there are no do overs when you take these extremes. I'm sure the guy who killed that boy last summer wishes he didn't. I read another story where a dad shot his kid trying to sneak back into the house killing him. Could you guys imagine???
I would respond that a hallmark of our justice system is that people are punished for what they do, not what they might do in the future, or what someone else surmises they might do. That is the tradeoff for liberty.

__________________
And unto thee we pledge our heart and hand, Dear Alma Mater
ill07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:53 AM   #18
SteakSandwich
Location: Danville, IL
Posts: 110
These stupid uproars are getting old. He shouldn't of said what he said but to call for his job for one statement is a joke. Costas made a mistake, I don't agree with what he said but he is good at his job and i respect that. It's just getting old hearing liberals and conservatives making a national uproar everytime someone says something on a sports show. Leave my football and basketball alone already!
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:15 AM   #19
DaytonIllini
DaytonIllini's Avatar
Posts: 18,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
These stupid uproars are getting old. He shouldn't of said what he said but to call for his job for one statement is a joke. Costas made a mistake, I don't agree with what he said but he is good at his job and i respect that. It's just getting old hearing liberals and conservatives making a national uproar everytime someone says something on a sports show. Leave my football and basketball alone already!
Who here has called for his job?

__________________
No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.
-- James Madison
DaytonIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:16 AM   #20
bmb777
Banned
Location: Southeast IL
Posts: 3,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
You probably should look at the transcript before commenting if you think that was his point.

Not to mention the fact that he was quoting a guy who states that the NRA is the new KKK.

So anyone that would suggest he wasn't advocating gun control is simply wrong.
Shared a thing on my facebook today that says "So you think criminals will follow more gun control laws? You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?"

Costas is an idiot. More gun control will not stop violence. The failed policies in Chicago and Washington D.C. show that. You want to stop violence then address the socioeconomic issues that feed the violence.
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Sybok
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Who here has called for his job?
It's possible he interpreted my post mentioning Costas being suspended for the rest of the season as some sort of "calling for his job." If so, let me explain in a bit more detail. My point was that the NFL was a quality product long before Bob Costas ever broadcast an NFL game. The NFL was a quality experience long before SNF came along. If Costas was sent packing tomorrow, the NFL would still be a quality product. Since that's the case, one has to ask how much value Costas' halftime bloviating really brings to the table of the NFL experience.
Sybok is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Sybok
Posts: 1,073
He just keeps getting deeper and deepr into this, and, I think, he is making it worse.

Youtube vid of Costas on MSNBC-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVbJT4r33Mg

And an article debunking one of his points...

Quote:
“Give me one example of a professional athlete who by virtue of his having a gun took a dangerous situation and turned it around for the better – I can’t think of a single one – but sadly I can think of dozens where by virtue of having a gun a professional athlete has wound up in a tragic situation,” he added.

Costas failed to name any of the “dozens” of such incidents he claimed proved his point, but we were able to dig up examples of athletes using a gun for self-defense or to stop a crime taking place.

Costas couldn’t name one, and yet we were able to come up with a couple just from a quick Google search...
http://www.infowars.com/bob-costas-y...bad-happening/
Sybok is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:54 AM   #23
mattcoldagelli
mattcoldagelli's Avatar
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I personally think guns make some weak, unstable people way stronger than they are.
Crazy, right? I mean, they're like arrows, knives, brass knuckles, crowbars and baseball bats that way.

:rolleyes:

__________________
Twitter Blog

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:04 PM   #24
Fighting Billini
Mr. 10,000
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Costas should stick to his views even if they are not popular within the US because of the gun culture.
Nobody cares that he *has* views, although I disagree with pretty much everything he said. I will even brush aside the flat out lies and completely ridiculous things he said as part of his rant. The point is, it's a football game. We don't want to hear ANYBODY giving any political argument. I would say the same thing if he opined on my side of the argument, too. This is an issue which will be thoroughly discussed in the media, outside of the confines of a halftime show.

He can have any views he wants, but he shouldn't go on some stupid blowhard political rant during a football game. It's not his place. He can go throw a few phonebooks on a chair and sit in on any political roundtable shows he wants, and I would have no problem with that. Of course, they wouldn't have him on to talk gun control because he is completely irrelvant on that, and just some jackass who has views on things, like the rest of us. However, the opinion which wasn't relevant enough to be heard elsewhere was forced on us because he offered it during a football game. Don't sully sports with political BS.

__________________


Fighting Billini: Basketball Coaching Search 10,000th post man!
Fighting Billini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:51 PM   #25
gibb52
Posts: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Billini View Post
Nobody cares that he *has* views, although I disagree with pretty much everything he said. I will even brush aside the flat out lies and completely ridiculous things he said as part of his rant. The point is, it's a football game. We don't want to hear ANYBODY giving any political argument. I would say the same thing if he opined on my side of the argument, too. This is an issue which will be thoroughly discussed in the media, outside of the confines of a halftime show.

He can have any views he wants, but he shouldn't go on some stupid blowhard political rant during a football game. It's not his place. He can go throw a few phonebooks on a chair and sit in on any political roundtable shows he wants, and I would have no problem with that. Of course, they wouldn't have him on to talk gun control because he is completely irrelvant on that, and just some jackass who has views on things, like the rest of us. However, the opinion which wasn't relevant enough to be heard elsewhere was forced on us because he offered it during a football game. Don't sully sports with political BS.
My thoughts exactly.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump