Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Knock Out

Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:00 AM   #1
DaytonIllini
Is this really a problem at UIUC? I never heard a thing about it.

Quote:
At the University of Illinois in Champaign, the game has a different name: Polar Bear Hunting. But with dozens of examples, including a local TV reporter, the black mobs play by the same rules: Find a defenseless white or Asian person, and punch them in the face until your arms are tired. Or they are knocked out. Or dead.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/11/surprise-...OoXSMH9ZrR7.99

Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:20 AM   #2
ill07
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Is this really a problem at UIUC? I never heard a thing about it.
I actually think the article has it wrong. "Knockout" is similar to what was going on with the "Polar Bear Hunting" (which was a problem for a while in Champaign), but instead it involves someone attempting to knock someone out in one, singular blow.

Of course, that's a distinction without much difference. Either way, why are we still throwing life sentences at drug offenders but not these people, who show wanton disregard for human life in the name of "fun?" These are the people that should be behind bars forever. They are the ones who are actually dangerous to society.

Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:07 PM   #3
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill07 View Post
I actually think the article has it wrong. "Knockout" is similar to what was going on with the "Polar Bear Hunting" (which was a problem for a while in Champaign), but instead it involves someone attempting to knock someone out in one, singular blow.

Of course, that's a distinction without much difference. Either way, why are we still throwing life sentences at drug offenders but not these people, who show wanton disregard for human life in the name of "fun?" These are the people that should be behind bars forever. They are the ones who are actually dangerous to society.
Because as a group, we're really pretty stupid. And the people we put in office to decide these things are really, really stupid.

I wonder if we should move this discussion to the discussion of our youth in the other thread. It's a different segment of the population being discussed, but it's another symptom of the direction of society.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 01:44 PM   #4
wpr
I saw a video on knockout on the news last night. It seems to be spreading around the US. I can not believe this is considered fun but anyone. I watched a 50 yo guy get punched the face and he fell onto the a curb with a square edge. It is a wonder he didn't die or have a horrendous gash on his head.

Then they talked with a young woman who was punched in the face. It is just senseless. I guess the thugs decided they can fight each other. They may get beat up so let's go find someone weaker and hit them instead. Gutless too.
wpr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Not to go all 2nd amendment, but I wonder how much this happens in states that allow concealed carry? Something tells me these bangers would be less likely to knuckle up if their intended target--or someone near them--had the means to end the situation right quick.

Old Nov 20, 2013, 02:03 PM   #6
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Not to go all 2nd amendment, but I wonder how much this happens in states that allow concealed carry? Something tells me these bangers would be less likely to knuckle up if their intended target--or someone near them--had the means to end the situation right quick.
In few clips I saw the person dropped immediately. They are targeting people who do not look around and thus are not prepared. It is hard to pull out your Colt Navy 6 if you are not paying attention.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
In few clips I saw the person dropped immediately. They are targeting people who do not look around and thus are not prepared. It is hard to pull out your Colt Navy 6 if you are not paying attention.
A Colt Navy 6 would be tough to conceal...just saying. But if someone I was walking with got knocked out/down by one of these neanderthals, chances are high my Glock just got drawn.

If there are YouTube clips out there, arrest and prosecution ought to be pretty straightforward.

Old Nov 20, 2013, 02:33 PM   #8
wpr
Quote:
A Colt Navy 6 would be tough to conceal...just saying. But if someone I was walking with got knocked out/down by one of these neanderthals, chances are high my Glock just got drawn.

If there are YouTube clips out there, arrest and prosecution ought to be pretty straightforward.
yes I was just kidding. I picked one of the oldest and largest guns I could think of.

The victims were alone. They had no one to defend them.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:04 PM   #9
ill07
Quote:
But if someone I was walking with got knocked out/down by one of these neanderthals, chances are high my Glock just got drawn.
If you shot them after they had landed the punch and were laughing while walking away, you'd be charged with murder.

It is precisely because it is a one hit "game" that these situations are not ideal for a pro-concealed carry slogan (though I am in favor of concealed carry)

Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:32 PM   #10
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
This was a huge problem on campus like 3 years ago. People were getting attacked daily and they were sending out 1 or 2 crime alerts a day. Sometimes it was a girl or a guy just getting beaten up, nothing stolen. I think there were rumors in was in retaliation for a white cop who shot and killed a black teenager who had been robbing a house in Northern Champaign. Don't know if that's true though.
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:59 PM   #11
ill07
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
This was a huge problem on campus like 3 years ago. People were getting attacked daily and they were sending out 1 or 2 crime alerts a day. Sometimes it was a girl or a guy just getting beaten up, nothing stolen. I think there were rumors in was in retaliation for a white cop who shot and killed a black teenager who had been robbing a house in Northern Champaign. Don't know if that's true though.
I get the impression that this is different. This is a "game" where they pick a person and try to knock them out in one hit. Nothing stolen, similarly. But there's no sustained attack. And it's just a "game" to show how tough they are with their friends, because it's "fun."

The people who do this are savages, and deserve to have the key thrown away, in my opinion. Anyone who shows that kind of disregard for the bodily integrity of others and describes it as "fun" is pretty much rotten to the absolute core.

Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill07 View Post
I get the impression that this is different. This is a "game" where they pick a person and try to knock them out in one hit. Nothing stolen, similarly. But there's no sustained attack. And it's just a "game" to show how tough they are with their friends, because it's "fun."

The people who do this are savages, and deserve to have the key thrown away, in my opinion. Anyone who shows that kind of disregard for the bodily integrity of others and describes it as "fun" is pretty much rotten to the absolute core.
This is a very tough argument to have and sound sensible, so be forewarned.

We don't appear to have the money to keep really dangerous criminals locked up. Where are we going to find the money to lock up and throw away the key all of the young people who admittedly behave very, very badly? I agree with you that they are being horrible citizens, but I don't have the solution. Like much of life.
FeelYourPaign is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post

We don't appear to have the money to keep really dangerous criminals locked up. Where are we going to find the money to lock up and throw away the key all of the young people who admittedly behave very, very badly? I agree with you that they are being horrible citizens, but I don't have the solution. Like much of life.
Release everyone who was thrown in jail for smoking weed and you have plenty of room for people who commit violent crimes.
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:15 PM   #14
CaptainHindsight
next time you see a thug, just walk up and deck them in the face and walk away
CaptainHindsight is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
Release everyone who was thrown in jail for smoking weed and you have plenty of room for people who commit violent crimes.
This. Not just smoking, either. Any non-violent pot-related charge--selling, transporting, etc.

If violence is involved, whole other story.

Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:28 PM   #16
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
"Can I have an 'Amen' brother?"

Old Nov 20, 2013, 05:50 PM   #17
hermie1985
Quote:
"Can I have an 'Amen' brother?"
Can't imagine there are enough people serving sentences for "just" smoking pot to make much difference in our prison population.
hermie1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermie1985 View Post
Can't imagine there are enough people serving sentences for "just" smoking pot to make much difference in our prison population.
Not to derail the thread, it's not just the prison population it's the cost and (and opportunity cost) of investigating, arresting, prosecuting, incarcerating, and post-incarceration follow-up of people who just aren't harming anyone. I don't have the number handy, I'm sure someone does, but I'm guessing it's a couple of a billion dollars a year if not more.

Old Nov 21, 2013, 08:07 AM   #19
ill07
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post

There are over 3,000 prisoners in this country serving life sentences without the possibility of parole for nonviolent offenses. Release them and there's enough room for violent Knockout players.

Old Nov 21, 2013, 09:20 AM   #20
wpr
For those of you who may not have seen the knockout game here is a video. I don't have sound on my office computer so I don't know what they are saying.

The guy who is hit at 2:10 is the one I saw the other night.

Since there is video of some of these attacks one of the thugs friends has to be recording it some of the time.

Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:21 AM   #21
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
For those of you who may not have seen the knockout game here is a video. I don't have sound on my office computer so I don't know what they are saying.

The guy who is hit at 2:10 is the one I saw the other night.

Since there is video of some of these attacks one of the thugs friends has to be recording it some of the time.

Wow. Good for the guy that put two bullets in the POS that attacked him. A victory for concealed carry laws.

Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:38 AM   #22
IlliniJim20
If white/Asian people are being targeted specifically, this crime falls under the hate crime"statute i believe. Would a DA have enough guts to charge an AA with a hate crime against a Caucasian or Asian?

A few prosecutions, with jail time or juvie time would help put a stop to it, or at least slow the pace, know ing there are consequences.
IlliniJim20 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #23
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
If white/Asian people are being targeted specifically, this crime falls under the hate crime"statute i believe. Would a DA have enough guts to charge an AA with a hate crime against a Caucasian or Asian?

A few prosecutions, with jail time or juvie time would help put a stop to it, or at least slow the pace, know ing there are consequences.
If reporters aren't brave enough to point out that this has been a 100% black thing, I doubt DA's wanting to be elected would have the gonads to use the hate crime statute. Personally I think the whole hate-crime statute is one of the most ignorant laws ever created and should be removed from the books immediately anyway.

Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:16 PM   #24
IlliniJim20
Quote:
If reporters aren't brave enough to point out that this has been a 100% black thing, I doubt DA's wanting to be elected would have the gonads to use the hate crime statute. Personally I think the whole hate-crime statute is one of the most ignorant laws ever created and should be removed from the books immediately anyway.
I do not disagree about removing the law from the books. My response was more a commentary on the irony of a hate crime potentially being used against AA's.
IlliniJim20 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #25
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Once something becomes legal, the businesses who want to legally produce and profit from those items becomes one of the key players in enforcement. If pot were legalized, the companies growing/selling the legal pot would be ponying up huge amounts of money to protect their stake, but doing it through legal means. It's not much different than the way the music distributors/RIAA went after MP3 piracy and the movie studios/MPAA have gone after film piracy, and the same way patent holders go after patent violators. Find the entity doing the piracy/bootlegging, provide the government ample evidence to make a case, and sit back.

If you really want to win the "war on drugs," let big Pharma have the legal right to manufacture and market maryjane. The cartels won't stand a chance.
First, I believe in the legalization of drugs and I echo the comments of Il07 and everyone else who thinks its wasteful and stupid to have nonviolent offenders behind bars.

Perhaps because of the way the discussion has been framed. Take the focus off of drugs. There is a high probability that the cartels will find some sort of business to support themselves. That business will be almost certainly be illegal and they will probably resort to violence.

Ending the violence is not as simple as legalizing their product to outcompete them. You can point to the prohibition, but that was a different time. That comparison is somewhat akin to comparing the prohibition of guns here to similar laws in Europe, Asia, and elsewhere. The societies at large are just too different to draw direct comparisons.

Last edited by Dan; Nov 27, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »