Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
trevdv
Some games of interest happening right now, some later on tonight:

- Halftime: Ohio State 31, Winthrop 30
- Halftime: Michigan State 32, Bowling Green 29
- Halftime: Kansas 39, Richmond 18
- Halftime: Purdue 27, Ball State 21
- 1st Half: VCU 34, Western Kentucky 14

- 7:00 CST: Miami FL (6-1) vs. UCF (6-2)
- 8:00 CST: Stanford (7-3) @ NC State (7-2)
- 8:00 CST: SMU (8-2) @ Utah (6-3)
- 9:00 CST: Denver (3-5) @ Wyoming (10-0)

Wyoming may actually better than most think. They beat a ranked Colorado team, and are still undefeated. We'll see how they do tonight against Denver. Ohio State was nearly trailing at half, but they seem to be pulling it together (at least a little bit). MSU looking sloppy too. And, well, Purdue is just...awful.

Last edited by trevdv; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Botb9
Realist
I don't feel so bad about our performances at home. OSU only up one at home vs. Winthrop? Bleh.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Botb9
Realist
Michigan State has just not looked good at times this year.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Botb9
Realist
Wow, tied at 40 with BGSU. 14:01 left.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:16 PM   #5
FredrickFremont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
I don't feel so bad about our performances at home. OSU only up one at home vs. Winthrop? Bleh.
Winthrop (@ OSU) = 296Kenpom
BGSU (vs. MSU) = 196Kenpom
FredrickFremont is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:20 PM   #6
trevdv
How is it that MSU is ok with going to Bowling Green for a game? Usually the little schools are payed to come to us! When is the last time we went on the road to a "small school" to play a game we would be heavily favored in? In 2009 against Utah (when they were in the Mtn. West)?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:22 PM   #7
RichBradIllini
Wow. Didn't know Mike Davis was coaching at Texas Southern (1-9). TS @ Kansas St. and looking respectable.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:23 PM   #8
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBradIllini View Post
Wow. Didn't know Mike Davis was coaching at Texas Southern (1-9). TS @ Kansas St. and looking respectable.
Leading by four with 12 minutes left til halftime.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Botb9
Realist
BGSU has a chance to take a lead.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Botb9
Realist
Wow if that prayer was answered the roof would have blown off. Instead MSU gets an and-1

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:32 PM   #11
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
BGSU has a chance to take a lead.
BG my alma mater!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
hooraybeer
OSU playing dumb down the stretch against Winthrop... will still win, but not by as much as they should have

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:51 PM   #13
RichBradIllini
Quote:
OK, let me rephrase that. TS is awful but is respectably hanging with KSt. KSt should be blowing these guys out but TS only down 4 at half.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Kramer116
Purdue is not good this season.

We absolutely need to find a way to beat them on the road to start B1G play January 2nd.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:17 PM   #15
SteakSandwich
Quote:
OK, let me rephrase that. TS is awful but is respectably hanging with KSt. KSt should be blowing these guys out but TS only down 4 at half.
Not that i'm a mike davis fan but Texas Southern has played a fairly tough schedule. They have lost some very close games.
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:24 PM   #16
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post

We absolutely need to find a way to beat them on the road to start B1G play January 2nd.
+1. I think it will be a good test. Conference game on the road. I think the B1G is going to be a killer for the conference. Let's see how it plays out.
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:32 PM   #17
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post

Agreed. They're terrible. That needs to be a win.

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:47 PM   #18
LibertyIllini
VCU forced 32 turnovers today... 32! that's ridiculous...
LibertyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:02 PM   #19
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
Not that i'm a mike davis fan but Texas Southern has played a fairly tough schedule. They have lost some very close games.
Davis can't coach free throws. His guys hit 46% from three (13 of 28) to keep it close (78 to 69), but Weber's smothering free throw defense held them to 40% (4 of 10) from the line. Maybe they need to step back from the line to shoot free throws, way back!

Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:05 PM   #20
DaytonIllini
Weak sauce by OSU for sure.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:15 PM   #21
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Weak sauce by OSU for sure.
That's a good description of when you're favored by 30 and win by 10.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:31 AM   #22
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
How is it that MSU is ok with going to Bowling Green for a game? Usually the little schools are payed to come to us! When is the last time we went on the road to a "small school" to play a game we would be heavily favored in? In 2009 against Utah (when they were in the Mtn. West)?
Hawaii this year. Western Michigan in 2010.
scubadunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:36 PM   #23
zoggle101
Why does Purdue suck? Sure it hasn't been a good season so far for this young team with only one senior contributor but Painter will have them ready for us without a doubt. I'm sticking to them finishing over a good Iowa team who will still make the tournament even with a 9th place finish in the B1G. That's right we're getting 8 bids this year. Purdue is NIT bound because they lost a heart breaker to Nova earlier in the season and didn't show up to beat a decent fringe bubble NIT, CBI lock Eastern Michingan Eagles team. The Bucknell lose isn't horrible at all but I do remember everyone saying how do you lose to the Bison even though many didn't realize Terrone Johnson wasn't playing plus they're a solid team anyway.

Winthrop was hitting everything from outside when they needed it last night and had beaten a good even though they're also somewhat struggling Ohio team who has a couple huge games left before conference albeit only by one point. The Eagles played solid ball last night and it should be noted. Luckily for the Buckeyes Deshaun Thomas went on a ten, twelve point run to fend off this pesky at this point in the season Winthrop team.

Dayton, the flyers have a couple huge non conference games left before they enter a deep A10 conference schedule. The A10 needs those wins if they want more than 3 maybe four teams in the NCAA.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:18 PM   #24
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Why does Purdue suck? Sure it hasn't been a good season so far for this young team with only one senior contributor but Painter will have them ready for us without a doubt. I'm sticking to them finishing over a good Iowa team who will still make the tournament even with a 9th place finish in the B1G. That's right we're getting 8 bids this year. Purdue is NIT bound because they lost a heart breaker to Nova earlier in the season and didn't show up to beat a decent fringe bubble NIT, CBI lock Eastern Michingan Eagles team. The Bucknell lose isn't horrible at all but I do remember everyone saying how do you lose to the Bison even though many didn't realize Terrone Johnson wasn't playing plus they're a solid team anyway.

Winthrop was hitting everything from outside when they needed it last night and had beaten a good even though they're also somewhat struggling Ohio team who has a couple huge games left before conference albeit only by one point. The Eagles played solid ball last night and it should be noted. Luckily for the Buckeyes Deshaun Thomas went on a ten, twelve point run to fend off this pesky at this point in the season Winthrop team.

Dayton, the flyers have a couple huge non conference games left before they enter a deep A10 conference schedule. The A10 needs those wins if they want more than 3 maybe four teams in the NCAA.
I think Winthrop is one of the worst CBB teams there is. I believe the Winthrop win over OU was the biggest surprise of the season according to Kenpom.

I think we get only 7 NCAA bids this season. OSU, IU, UM, MSU, Minny Illinois, Wisky in that order. Nebraska, Iowa, PU, NU, PSU are out.

Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:29 PM   #25
zoggle101
Iowa can definitely make it with a .500 record maybe even at 8-10 in conference. They'd need one win in the tournament most likely if they do finish up 8-10.

Winthrop looked good last night but 25 ft 3 point shots were falling for them. It's a twenty point lose if they aren't hitting those. It's unreasonable to think any team is going to win all games by 20-30 points even against less than good low/mid major teams.

Anyone notice UIC had a huge letdown loss last night. They're going to have to win their conference even though a at large bid was unlikely even before the lose.

Don't worry about my feelings guys and let's make these discussions fun with arguments plus rebuttles!!

Matt my good friends call me weird all the time and it's no big deal. I do get. Little too personal sometimes and forget this isn't a closed forum. I'll cool down with the Zoggle life stories.

For all you fans who don't pay attention to future opponents. Auburn has had Chris Denson back for 2-3 games now and has been playing a lot better since adding him. The Tigers aren't a bubble team or even a fringe bubble NIT team but they are getting better as the season progresses. CBI isn't out of the question and they can pay themselves into the NIT. It should be interesting following them.

After an early season setback to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles without two top players the Miami Hurricanes are running at full throttle even though they are still without Garius Adams who looks like will redshirt if it hasn't been announced yet.

Vanderbilt has Dai Jon Parker back and is finally at full strength. Watch out for the Dores in 13-14.

Another team struggling who I think will turn it around in the FSU Seminoles. They have the talent to make a run in conference that should x out too many early season let downs.

Nova is actually winning games and Utah had a huge win last night even though I don't think they keep it up when conference starts.

West Va. Has a huge game tonight that is a must win with 3 three more ages before conference starts that are resume worthy builders. They need to win four of their next five plus finish in the top 4 of the big 12 after their struggles early if they are planning on dancing. I think they can.

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 19, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »