Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini-Mizzou Gameday Articles (12/22)

Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Their time to brag

It was the kind of breakout performance players tell their kids about.

But 12 months later, recalling how Illinois rallied from 13 down to take the lead, then gave up seven straight points in the final two minutes, Bertrand's clearest memory is how it felt to lose the game, 78-74.

"What I remember most is that we lost, and that's a really sour taste," Bertrand said this week. "It was definitely a memorable game, but it wasn't good enough to win."

Tupper
Quote:
Braggin' Rights on line in Illinois' showdown against Missouri

"People like good stories," Illinois coach John Groce said. "They like to watch giants crash and David rise. We're just worried about getting better. I don't get caught up in all that stuff. As soon as you start worrying about things you can't control, you drive yourself crazy."

What the Illini are thinking about is ending their three-game losing streak against Missouri. No one on this Illinois team has beaten the Tigers.

"A lot of the guys owe them one," said Illini guard D.J. Richardson, who is eager to hoist the Braggin' Rights trophy.

Herb Gould
Quote:
HQ forecast: Illinois 79, Mizzou 78

Missouri's rebounding margin of plus-13.3 ranks third in the country. Illinois' figure of plus-3.8 ranks 10th in the Big Ten. The Tigers' prowess on the glass figures to give the Illini trouble. "I'm concerned about their size. The biggest thing is the rebounding; that's what I'm most concerned about when it comes to their size," Groce said. "We've got to do a good job of doing what we do. We've got to block out well, we've got to be willing to hit people when the shot goes up. We've got to snatch our fair share. I think that's a big key to the game."

Marcus Jackson
Quote:
Illini thriving beyond the arc

"There aren't too many bad shots in his offense," forward Tyler Griffey said. "He knows we can shoot. He just really instills the confidence."

The same players made 30.4 percent of their 3-pointers last season and ranked 197th in 3's per game. The Illini are shooting 38.6 percent beyond the arc through 12 games while employing Groce's philosophy to take "the first available shot that we can make."

Stu Durando
Quote:
Illini will test Mizzou's still-forming chemistry

Haith acknowledges itís all still coalescing but says so far, so good.

"I'm very pleased with where we're at," he said Friday afternoon at Scottrade Center, adding that Mizzou will get closer as it plays together more because players have bought in and accepted personnel decisions being made in the best interests of the team. "Usually when you make those decisions you see some guys pout, and we haven't seen that yet. So I will say that stuff has been really good."

Brown could become an integral ingredient in enhancing that.

"What Jabari brings is basketball IQ," Haith said after MU's 102-51 victory over South Carolina State on Monday. "He moves well without the ball, plays unselfish, he passes the ball and is patient. I think thatís something that is needed on this team."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...fb09fe89a.html
Quote:
Bertrand creating #JoeTales on, off court

Bertrand is averaging a career-high 8.6 points and 21 minutes for the undefeated Illini. He's also shown an ability to step outside and has more 3-pointers this season (11) than he had his first two years (3).

"What's impressed me is his ability to come off the bench and be an impact guy,"said Illinois assistant coach Paris Parham, who works individually with Bertrand. "He's making shots. He's putting up numbers that are usually starters' numbers.

"Playing for coach Groce is the perfect style for Joe's style of play. I think coach Groce is a big-time players' coach. He gives the guys a lot of freedom. I don't think Joe was allowed to shoot 3s last year. It's helped his dribble-drive game."

Scott Powers
Quote:
Groce: Winning them over

"He's a great guy, younger coach with a lot of energy. He relates to us pretty well," Richardson said. "That's kind of what I was expecting when I first met him. I figured he was going to let us play free. He just let us run up and down; that's the kind of coach I was looking forward to and he definitely lets us do that."

Marcus Jackson
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Dan
Admin
Quote:
When your out to eat as a team & they bring them appetizers out..you best keep your head on a swivel or your done

http://twitter.com/BP3
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Dan
Admin
Video piece on Tyler Griffey
Quote:
St. Louis native @tylergriffey poised for his Braggin' Rights finale. Wants 1 win against his home-state Tigers #Illini

http://illinoishomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=449112
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Dan
Admin
Quote:
It's #BragginRights gameday! #Illini @JohnGroce & #Mizzou @frankhaithmu at the Coaches vs. Cancer breakfast in STL. http://pic.twitter.com/INZu5pHv

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:04 AM   #5
mattcoldagelli
SOON, GENTLEMEN.

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Illini_1979
Our coach is taller. Therefore we win.
Illini_1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
troyk
Banned
"Playing for coach Groce is the perfect style for Joe's style of play. I think coach Groce is a big-time players' coach. He gives the guys a lot of freedom. I don't think Joe was allowed to shoot 3s last year. It's helped his dribble-drive game."

troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:02 AM   #8
ILLbill
Great stuff. Can't wait for this game.
ILLbill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:23 AM   #9
IllinoisTradition1984
I think this one will go ILLINI 79, Mizzou 74 ... It should be very close, but I think the intangibles are in our favor (Coaching, Seniors, Team Vibe/Confidence, and Stronger Schedule/Quality Wins). Bring this trophy back home guys! Hit those threes!!

Fighting Illini - A Culture of Winning: 1 Maui Invitational Championship , 29 NCAA Tournament Appearances, 17 Big Ten Championships, 10 Sweet 16's, 6 Elite 8's, 4 Final 4's, 1 Championship Game, and Counting ...
IllinoisTradition1984 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:25 AM   #10
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTradition1984 View Post
I think this one will go ILLINI 79, Mizzou 74 ... It should be very close, but I think the intangibles are in our favor (Coaching, Seniors, Team Vibe/Confidence, and Stronger Schedule/Quality Wins). Bring this trophy back home guys! Hit those threes!!
Like against Gonzaga, this will definitely be the key to the game. If Illinois hits 10+, I really like our chances.

I'm saying:

Illinois - 76

Missouri - 67
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:55 AM   #11
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLbill View Post
Great stuff. Can't wait for this game.
+1, and thanks for putting all this together, Dan...well done. I'm psyched for this game too.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:31 PM   #12
cali illini
I think its our time to BRAG!!
cali illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:59 PM   #13
OBxpress
I have been waiting for this payback. Its time to START a winning streak!
Go Illini
OBxpress is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Dan
Admin
Epic caller on WDWS this morning.

Jim in Urbana was not able to turn left when exiting his lot the last game.

A must-listen!

1:05:45 mark-
http://www.illinihq.com/audio/2012-1...-12-22-12.html

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »