Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Updated Big Ten division alignment coming soon

Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
B1G division alignment coming (fairly) soon

"I would hope we would have divisions and conference schedules for '14 later this spring," Delany said

Rittenberg

Last edited by Dan; Jan 5, 2013 at 07:16 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Chi Trib learns B1G interested in putting #Northwestern in East. Cats want to stay West w/rivals #Illini, Iowa, Wis, Neb. Better 4 fans.

http://twitter.com/TeddyGreenstein
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Dan
Admin
Here were the suggestions from the Big Ten's Dec 13th fan survey-

Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Groundhogday
So it sounds like we might move to this alignment:

East: Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, tOSU, Michigan, MSU, Northwestern
West: PU, IU, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, UNL

The league doesn't want permanent cross-divisional rivalries because there aren't enough cross-division games as it is. Illinois vs. Northwestern is clearly the weakest rivalry game in the league, so that is the one to end. Personally I don't mind. And I really don't mind seeing NW play in the tougher division.

Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Dan
Admin
Quote:
I should mention that even tho B1G interested in moving #Northwestern east, Cats officials resisting & think they will stay West.

http://twitter.com/TeddyGreenstein
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Oskee Mayer
All 20 fans have voiced their opinions. 1 through his megaphone, repeatedly.
Oskee Mayer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:33 AM   #7
jackman404
Banned
Protecting the Purdue-IU rivalry is much more important than protecting the Illinois-Northwestern rivalry. I wouldn't mind not playing them.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Groundhogday
Basically, NW has such a weak fan base that it doesn't really matter one way or another where they end up.

Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Ilovetheillini
I like our division!!!
Ilovetheillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:34 PM   #10
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Basically, NW has such a weak fan base that it doesn't really matter one way or another where they end up.
That was my response as well. They only draw when the opponents buy tickets. They idea that their fan base is worried about travel is laughable. They can't make it to Evanston, so why would they worry about traveling to Penn State or Maryland?

Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:42 PM   #11
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
So it sounds like we might move to this alignment:

East: Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, tOSU, Michigan, MSU, Northwestern
West: PU, IU, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, UNL

The league doesn't want permanent cross-divisional rivalries because there aren't enough cross-division games as it is. Illinois vs. Northwestern is clearly the weakest rivalry game in the league, so that is the one to end. Personally I don't mind. And I really don't mind seeing NW play in the tougher division.
That would be fantastic for illinois.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #12
DrewD007
Made the map for Northwestern in the East...

DrewD007 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Made the map for Northwestern in the East...

Contiguous, largely geographic divisions. I like it. And I also like being in the same division with IU, PU and Minny.

Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:29 PM   #14
quhawks12
Quote:
Contiguous, largely geographic divisions. I like it. And I also like being in the same division with IU, PU and Minny.
That would be huge.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Warriors1994
This would be great for Illinois lets hope it goes through
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:56 PM   #16
AngryOrange
Quote:
One thing I don't like about it, with NW in the East, the major population and recruiting centers are all in the other division. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't like the fact that we would visit the other division less frequently and miss the major recruiting beds. YMMV.
AngryOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryOrange View Post
One thing I don't like about it, with NW in the East, the major population and recruiting centers are all in the other division. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't like the fact that we would visit the other division less frequently and miss the major recruiting beds. YMMV.
They used to think the same thing about the original SEC east and west divisions.

One additional thought: Illinois has stronger ties to Chicago than Northwestern. Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska all recruit Chicago. I don't think playing in an empty stadium at Northwestern once a year really helps anyone recruit that city.

Last edited by Groundhogday; Jan 4, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Groundhogday is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:03 PM   #18
GilThorpe
has there been any acknowledgment of the need for not just the B1G, but the SEC as well to follow suit with the PAC and have 9 league games.

playing just 2 teams from the other division means you can wait 6 or 8 years to play a cross division team. Thats ridiculous. I dont like the alternating 4&5 home game thing either, but going 8 years without playing a fellow conference team seems nuts
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:00 PM   #19
BWBW
A Northwest - Southeast split would have Northwestern with the two schools in MI, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska.

We would be with the two schools in IN, OSU, PSU, Maryland, and Rutgers.
BWBW is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:15 PM   #20
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
has there been any acknowledgment of the need for not just the B1G, but the SEC as well to follow suit with the PAC and have 9 league games.

playing just 2 teams from the other division means you can wait 6 or 8 years to play a cross division team. Thats ridiculous. I dont like the alternating 4&5 home game thing either, but going 8 years without playing a fellow conference team seems nuts
It has been pretty much a given that we will go to 9 games, right? I don't know that we would wait for the Pac12 or SEC to follow suit. With 9 games, we would play 3 of the 7 cross division teams every year, so play every cross-division team almost every other year.

Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Ander1345
What about a dividing line that starts just west of Mich ST and divides Purdue and Indiana?
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander1345 View Post
What about a dividing line that starts just west of Mich ST and divides Purdue and Indiana?
The problem is that Purdue and Indiana have a long and contentious rivalry. Most of it is just basketball spillover, but it is much more serious rivalry game in football than Illinois vs. Northwestern.

Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:34 PM   #23
twincityillini
Quote:
Agreed. IMO, they'll most likely keep making bowl games no matter where they end up and regardless of their weak fan base. So in the end it shouldn't really matter to them.
twincityillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:44 PM   #24
GilThorpe
the PAC already plays 9 league games, hence why they backed out of the arrangement to have a PAC-BIG "series" of all teams in each league rotating through each others conference. it would have given them 10 BCS games , in an era where the SEC and the B1G are getting fat with cupcakes.

By going to 14 teams, I just cant see how the B1G or the SEC can not go to 9 league games. as of now, I know of nothing that says this is happening in either conference.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Schlepper
They may go to 10 league games since the Pac 12 thing didn't work out. Would also make for even numbers of home and road games which is important to coaches and ADs.
ND games may get lost in the shuffle.
Schlepper is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »