Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Northwestern, Thursday, January 17th, 7:15pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 29,812

https://www.facebook.com/IlliniBasketball?sk=photos

Game 19: Illinois (14-4, 1-3) vs Northwestern (10-7, 1-3)

Thursday, January 17th

The Assembly Hall

Time: 7:15pm CT

TV: BTN


Last edited by Dan; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Dan is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 29,812
Northwestern hosts Iowa tomorrow (Sunday), 4:30pm CT, ESPNU.
Dan is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:57 PM   #3
zpfled
zpfled's Avatar
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 3,380
This is a good game to send a message and start Shaw, Abrams, and any one else willing to fight.
zpfled is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
OrangeandBlue4eva
Location: Secretcity
Posts: 2,044
Just play the opposite of how we did vs Wisky and all should be good
OrangeandBlue4eva is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:40 PM   #5
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
BenjIllini's Avatar
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 299
UI-36
NW-30
BenjIllini is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Peoria Born
Posts: 92
Illini 54
NW 61
Peoria Born is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:21 PM   #7
jrichisamazing
Posts: 1,631
My questions is will the Hall still get packed and have a good atmosphere once we drop in the rankings. It got pretty loud at times against Minny and Ohio St and the Orange Krush wasn't even there. Hopefully fans still see that this is a good, fun team to watch and we have to send that message starting this game by knocking down some shots. Win here and at @Nebraska, then get ready for the showdown against possible #1 Michigan.

Illini 72
NW 61
jrichisamazing is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:27 PM   #8
classof2016
Posts: 909
We better win these next two or else the real panic sets in.
classof2016 is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
blmillini
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
My questions is will the Hall still get packed and have a good atmosphere once we drop in the rankings. It got pretty loud at times against Minny and Ohio St and the Orange Krush wasn't even there. Hopefully fans still see that this is a good, fun team to watch and we have to send that message starting this game by knocking down some shots. Win here and at @Nebraska, then get ready for the showdown against possible #1 Michigan.

Illini 72
NW 61
Groce deserves our support and we need to show that we are committed to turning this thing around too. I'm not sure many people would have been too upset with where we are now before the season began. The early success simply created higher, possibly unrealistic expectations.
blmillini is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:00 PM   #10
RecLeagueHero
Banned
Posts: 5,596
Must win. If not, the tailspin may go into full effect.
RecLeagueHero is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:03 PM   #11
illini ri0t
Banned
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,272
Must win is right, next two in fact....
illini ri0t is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:06 PM   #12
-josh-
Banana no more
-josh-'s Avatar
Location: The paign born and raised
Posts: 4,964
I'm going to buy a bottle of Jameson for this game and take a shot every time illinois gives up an offensive rebound, the plan is to get drunk after all.

__________________
http://youtu.be/i37uttMA6Mc?t=31s
Looks like it's the University of Illinois!
-josh- is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:48 PM   #13
AzIlliniFan
Posts: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
I'm going to buy a bottle of Jameson for this game and take a shot every time illinois gives up an offensive rebound, the plan is to get drunk after all.
I have a bottle of Jameson's I bought for Christmas that I haven't tapped into yet. I don't think I'll follow your example though. You'll be drunk 10 minutes into the first half and zonked out on the sofa at halftime and miss the 2nd half
AzIlliniFan is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:51 PM   #14
-josh-
Banana no more
-josh-'s Avatar
Location: The paign born and raised
Posts: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
I have a bottle of Jameson's I bought for Christmas that I haven't tapped into yet. I don't think I'll follow your example though. You'll be drunk 10 minutes into the first half and zonked out on the sofa at halftime and miss the 2nd half

That may be for the better :laugh:

__________________
http://youtu.be/i37uttMA6Mc?t=31s
Looks like it's the University of Illinois!
-josh- is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:50 PM   #15
jrichisamazing
Posts: 1,631
So the million dollar question is: Does Shaw get more playing time, possibly even a starting spot for the next game? He is still very raw offensively, but Groce acknowledged that he put forth the greatest effort in the game. He came in with energy and the team saw this energy and fed off it. About 5 minutes into the second half we actually looked like a real team. He isn't the type of player that will come in and score 20, but he does all the little things and he plays with a competitive spirit. We need that spirit now more than ever.
jrichisamazing is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:15 PM   #16
Shenanigans
Shenanigans's Avatar
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 261
BEAT NORTHWESTERN! NO EXCUSES!

__________________
Illini Bears Cubs Bulls Blackhawks
Shenanigans is offline
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:19 PM   #17
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,937
Long week of practice should help this team.

__________________
www.afsp.org

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:03 AM   #18
HeartofaChampion
Posts: 11,124
Honestly no idea what to expect from this Jekyll and Hyde group. Hopefully we come out with renewed focus, a humbled spirit and fire in the belly, but our seniors have a curious track record to say the least the last 4 years. Wouldn't be surprised if we routed NW, then came out overconfident and lost at UNL.
HeartofaChampion is offline
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:25 AM   #19
PotatoesPotatoesX2
Posts: 31
I'm scared

NW: 65
ILL: 70
PotatoesPotatoesX2 is offline
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:43 AM   #20
UIUC1867
UIUC1867's Avatar
Location: Christian County, IL
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
Honestly no idea what to expect from this Jekyll and Hyde group. Hopefully we come out with renewed focus, a humbled spirit and fire in the belly, but our seniors have a curious track record to say the least the last 4 years. Wouldn't be surprised if we routed NW, then came out overconfident and lost at UNL.
My sentiments exactly.

__________________
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses . . . hit it!"
UIUC1867 is offline
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:52 AM   #21
Konnie
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
Groce deserves our support and we need to show that we are committed to turning this thing around too. I'm not sure many people would have been too upset with where we are now before the season began. The early success simply created higher, possibly unrealistic expectations.
Konnie is offline
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:39 AM   #22
Illini70math
Posts: 2,061
The only game that matters now is Northwestern. Wisky doesn't matter and Nebraska doesn't matter, just Northwestern. Coach Groce has stressed focusing on one game at a time for the team, but as fans we would be well advised to take this approach, particulary with this team.

This team is plainly a Jekyll and Hyde group that can play extremely well or extremely poorly. A given win or loss doesn't predict what will happen in the next game. Let's support the team and the coaches and root for an important win against Northwestern. Every win matters in trying to reach our goal for the season, a berth in the NCAA tourney.
Illini70math is offline
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:03 AM   #23
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,165
If this game were on the road, I'd be more worried than I am.

- 77
Northwestern - 69

__________________
That's a winner!
Video producer/manager of Illini Video HD (http://www.youtube.com/user/97illinifan)
Writer for The Champaign Room
trevdv is offline
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:39 AM   #24
PGHillini11
PGHillini11's Avatar
Posts: 180
The next 2 are must wins.
PGHillini11 is offline
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:48 AM   #25
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Swansea, IL
Posts: 4,462
I'll be making the trip for the game. Hopefully they play better than the past 2 games.
DrewD007 is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump