Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

The Manti Te'o dead girlfriend story is a hoax (Deadspin)

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:28 PM   #101
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
What kind of person has the 'love of their life' die and doesn't go to pay respects to her family after she dies? What kind of sick freak never visits with the love of his life while she is failing in the hospital for months on end. I mean I know football is REALLY important but come on.
+1 Good point.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:28 PM   #102
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
It seems maybe the kid was lying to cover up some fact of his personal life....maybe it was more important to have his sexual preference in the public domain...if that's the case then it's really sad though if he is gay the worlds worst forum to express that fact would be the ND football program
It is hard for me to believe this would be the sole reason for his deception. I could see it if he just faked a girlfriend etc. Having her die 18 times and staying on the phone with her all night and all these other sympathetic details seemed calculated for a more self promoting reasons
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:30 PM   #103
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
Just told my sons not to get his heroes from the sports world. I've told them this a few times in the past, but with this coming out now, and Armstrong, etc etc blah blah blah, I told them they need to get their heroes from friends, family, or vetted historical figures. Or be their own heroes. Sports history is littered with poor human beings with excellent athletic abilities.

Maybe get work ethic examples from sports, root for them of course, but heroes? No way.
illinois_hustle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:37 PM   #104
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Swarbrick said that they intended to meet in Hawaii, but she never showed up.
Which is in DIRECT contradiction to statements from both Te'o AND his father that his girlfriend was IN HAWAII with their family.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:41 PM   #105
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivetNaz View Post
Which is in DIRECT contradiction to statements from both Te'o AND his father that his girlfriend was IN HAWAII with their family.
I agree with you, Te'o was in on this. I'm just curious, what do you think his motive was? I doubt it's just to cover up his sexuality.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:44 PM   #106
Groundhogday
Quote:
Swarbrick said that they intended to meet in Hawaii, but she never showed up.
That is what Swarbrick is saying now, not what Te'o said before.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:46 PM   #107
uiba99
Tiny Illini
I'm not sure we'll ever get the full story on this. But if Swarbrick is involved in a cover-up, I'll be asking the university for my donations back. Soon.

"The danger is all around us now. Hatred is rising, yet all sides feel more virtuous. We’re asleep to the threat. We can have the most sophisticated Constitution, a brilliant system of checks and balances and a Bill of Rights to safeguard against the tyranny of the majority — yet none of it can stand against the power of hatred."
Fr. John I. Jenkins, President, University of Notre Dame
uiba99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:46 PM   #108
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
It is hard for me to believe this would be the sole reason for his deception. I could see it if he just faked a girlfriend etc. Having her die 18 times and staying on the phone with her all night and all these other sympathetic details seemed calculated for a more self promoting reasons
I agree. It is hard to see this as anything other than self-promotion.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:48 PM   #109
OlivetNaz
Quote:
I agree with you, Te'o was in on this. I'm just curious, what do you think his motive was? I doubt it's just to cover up his sexuality.
I have no idea what anyone's motive on something like this could be...but I'm not a psychopath. That being said, the only two things that come to mind that make sense are: a freakishly creepy way to build support for winning the Heisman, and covering up his sexual orientation.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:50 PM   #110
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
Self promoting his intended sexuality is a pretty good reason....even in this day and age a top college player coming out would be the biggest sports story of the year and many heads would explode in the Mormon community and especially at ND

The depth of the lying might just be attributable to the fact that it is as hard as hell to construct a false narrative out of whole cloth and maintain it for any length of time

Who knows but I have to admit it doesn't bother me all that much to see a bunch of Domers twisting in the wind
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:53 PM   #111
cmore
Why all the talk of his sexuality? Has this been a hot topic regarding manti before this story? I hadn't heard that his sexual preference was questioned in the past.
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:02 PM   #112
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
Why all the talk of his sexuality? Has this been a hot topic regarding manti before this story? I hadn't heard that his sexual preference was questioned in the past.
Just rumors floated in the USC community from what I can tell..that's where i heard it
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:03 PM   #113
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
His sexuality wasn't questioned in the past because he had a serious girlfriend... who turned out be imaginary.

That said, if he is gay it would have been a lot easier to befriend a girl in South Bend and pretend they had a sexual relationship than make up such an outrageous story.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:07 PM   #114
Ander1345
Either way this is a sad portrayal of our American society. Regardless of what actually is the cause, we are either believed to be so gullible as to fall for something like this or(in the even he turns out to gay) we are believed to be so intolerant of homosexuality that a person would actually make up someone(and their apparent death) to avoid outing themselves.

Personally, I refuse to try to delve in to the depths of another man's psyche to figure out what would cause him to make up the life and death of a fake woman because I don't think anyone would be able to find a satisfying answer. The whole thing is pretty amusing, but trying to figure out why... not so much.

I will say, however, that it's very odd that the star linebacker at ND couldn't pretty much pick any woman he wanted on campus.
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:12 PM   #115
IlliniByProxy
This shouldn't take long to clear up. Let's go to the phone records and see if there were in fact 8 hour long phone calls placed. If they exist, who was on the other end. I have a sneaking suspicion that no such calls exist. It shouldn't be too hard to find them in the phone record. Most likely they will be the only 480 minute long call on his books.
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:14 PM   #116
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
His sexuality wasn't questioned in the past because he had a serious girlfriend... who turned out be imaginary.

That said, if he is gay it would have been a lot easier to befriend a girl in South Bend and pretend they had a sexual relationship than make up such an outrageous story.
It seems like a fake campus relationship would be easier for the locals to figure out....but too much TMZ for me...all I know is Manti will be dropping to the Bears pick
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:14 PM   #117
Ander1345
Saw this posted on another forum.

Quote:
“This was before her and Manti,” Mauia said Wednesday evening. “I don’t think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was — I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa.”

Mauia said Tuiasosopo — whom Mauia believes is Kekua’s cousin — introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an “after-party” for all of the athletes involved in the camp.

“She was tall,” he said. “Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model … ”

He said it is his understanding that Kekua’s mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he’d never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said “No, she is real.”
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...-have-met-her/
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:16 PM   #118
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander1345 View Post

I have never laughed so hard than when i read that... This gets more and more ridiculous by the hour, does he not realize that they've already proved that she wasn't real and the whole thing was fake?

Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:24 PM   #119
jmwillini
Let's see if I have got this straight.

Te'o was hoaxed by somebody over twitter, whom he never met, though friends and family say he did, even after the hoax story comes out. Never met the love of his life who was dying of leukemia. She died, but couldn't have died cause she didn't exist, though friends and family say she did exist, though it was all a hoax.

Got it. Makes perfect sense.
jmwillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:26 PM   #120
jmwillini
Though if Mauia is right, then she did exist and now Te'o is lying about the hoax...

Now I'm confused again. :laugh:
jmwillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:31 PM   #121
IlliNYC
Schadenfreude at its absolute best.
IlliNYC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:42 PM   #122
ChiTownIllini22
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander1345 View Post
Either way this is a sad portrayal of our American society. Regardless of what actually is the cause, we are either believed to be so gullible as to fall for something like this or(in the even he turns out to gay) we are believed to be so intolerant of homosexuality that a person would actually make up someone(and their apparent death) to avoid outing themselves.

Personally, I refuse to try to delve in to the depths of another man's psyche to figure out what would cause him to make up the life and death of a fake woman because I don't think anyone would be able to find a satisfying answer. The whole thing is pretty amusing, but trying to figure out why... not so much.

I will say, however, that it's very odd that the star linebacker at ND couldn't pretty much pick any woman he wanted on campus.
Have you ever seen the girls in South Bend? I'd be looking elsewhere if was him.
ChiTownIllini22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:50 PM   #123
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_hustle View Post
Just told my sons not to get his heroes from the sports world. I've told them this a few times in the past, but with this coming out now, and Armstrong, etc etc blah blah blah, I told them they need to get their heroes from friends, family, or vetted historical figures. Or be their own heroes. Sports history is littered with poor human beings with excellent athletic abilities.

Maybe get work ethic examples from sports, root for them of course, but heroes? No way.
My mother told me the same things over forty years ago and there was less of a reason to back then. She was right then as you are now.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:51 PM   #124
champaignchris
My one ND fan friend says that USC is involved in this somehow.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:05 PM   #125
PillPusherSTL
Heisman candidate linebackers do not have online relationships for 4 years with a girl they've never met. That's preposterous.
PillPusherSTL is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »