Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois DL coach Keith Gilmore headed to North Carolina

Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1
quhawks12
UNC's DL coach just jumped over to S. Carolina to replace their DL coach who went to Florida. UNC was already sniffing around with Gilmore so is expect him to be gone to UNC soon. Just the way I see it...no facts.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
SCillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
UNC's DL coach just jumped over to S. Carolina to replace their DL coach who went to Florida. UNC was already sniffing around with Gilmore so is expect him to be gone to UNC soon. Just the way I see it...no facts.
That would make sense, given the positive working relationship Gilmore had with VK, and the rumored differences with TB/Banks this past season. Despite this, I still think it would hurt, based on the job Gilmore has done with the DL since he's been here. He's developed a lot of good players during his time here.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Dan
Admin
Couple random tweets with Gilmore-to-UNC speculation-

Quote:
@KennyD53 @ehill73 The main name I see is Gilmore at Illinois. Very good DL coach solid recruiting. Has rep for developing pass rushers
https://twitter.com/JFay51/status/293836319652720640

@KennyD53 @ehill73 also speculation that Vic wanted to bring Gilmore in before to work with DE, leaving Adams to just DT
https://twitter.com/JFay51/status/293836738789531651
Quote:
..Ron West and Keith Gilmore from Illinois seem to be replacements.
https://twitter.com/gteeitup/status/293739859879804930
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Awesome!...who needs facts!!....this would suck....how many of our recruits were counting on Gilmore to tutor them up to a NFL level of performance?...hate this stuff:rolleyes:
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Illinnoying Orange
Coach Gilmore has done a very good job here, but I will not be surprised to see him jump at the chance to reunite w/ VK at UNC. The only thing I am surprised by is how long it has taken to actually happen.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
AlmostFamous79
True.

The hits just keep on coming.
But hey, Gilmore and VK like a downhill attacking style of D. We know that is
not at all what TB and Banks.

TB is killing this program.
AlmostFamous79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:49 PM   #7
TooHot4Tots
Would definitely be a blow. Really liked Gilmore. Wish him best of luck if he does move on.
TooHot4Tots is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:53 PM   #8
illinitownie
I would lose a lot of faith in this staff without Gilmore. Not because I don't trust them but because he brings so much experience. Also I feel he's the only thing attracting d linemen :rolleyes:
illinitownie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous79 View Post
True.

Tim Banks' Cincy defense in 2011 was nationally No. 1 in TFL and No. 2 in sacks. But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitownie View Post
I would lose a lot of faith in this staff without Gilmore. Not because I don't trust them but because he brings so much experience. Also I feel he's the only thing attracting d linemen :rolleyes:
Did Gilmore recruit a single quality D lineman during his time at Illinois prior to the arrival of Beckman?

Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Juice
Quote:
True.

Really?
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:47 PM   #11
BigStan97
any real truth to this? Like actual facts?
BigStan97 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStan97 View Post
any real truth to this? Like actual facts?
Just rumors based upon connections to Koenning. No idea if Fedora (who does the actual hiring) is interest in hiring Gilmore.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:18 PM   #13
TexasIllini
Quote:

How exactly is the potential departure of Gilmore Beckman's "killing of the program"?

1. He publicly acknowledged Gilmore was a good coach and retained him.

2. If Gilmore does leave, I am sure it is because of the following reasons: an increase in salary, the ability to coach with someone he is more familiar with (VK), and going to a program that is more committed to putting a consistent football program out there. Beckman has no control over those factors.
TexasIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:21 PM   #14
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIllini View Post
How exactly is the potential departure of Gilmore Beckman's "killing of the program"?

2. If Gilmore does leave, I am sure it is because of the following reasons: an increase in salary, the ability to coach with someone he is more familiar with (VK), and going to a program that is more committed to putting a consistent football program out there. Beckman has no control over those factors.
Especially #2. You have to remember that Gilmore is sort of the odd man out on this staff. The rest of the staff had worked together at some point when it was originally put together.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Tim Banks' Cincy defense in 2011 was nationally No. 1 in TFL and No. 2 in sacks. But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Did Gilmore recruit a single quality D lineman during his time at Illinois prior to the arrival of Beckman?
I think lots of fans got a good look at Banks defense with Illini athletes who appeared better under Gilmore/ Vics scheme. Should they believe their lying eyes or your statistics?

It may take awhile for Banks to get his players integrated into what, statistically speaking, appears to be a very fine defense....curious?...what DL draft picks came off that Cincy defense and where did they rank compared to Liuget and Mercilus?

No clue about Gilmores efficacy as a recruiter but he definitely can coach them up to the next level
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:27 PM   #16
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Especially #2. You have to remember that Gilmore is sort of the odd man out on this staff. The rest of the staff had worked together at some point when it was originally put together.
Beckman is not killing the program. Period. Nonetheless, Gilmores departure doesn't have to be about money or being the odd man out...it might just be that he prefers to coach a different style of play than Banks system requires...better for Banks to get his own guy..he's going to be held responsible no matter what
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:46 PM   #17
NJJ87
Banned
At this point it seems like it's every man for himself, the ship is sinking fast. You can't fault anyone on the staff for moving to where they'll have a better chance at keeping their job longer than the last day of the season this coming fall. Landing a quality OL or DL coach in this environment will be almost impossible, but thankfully there are a lot of mediocre coaches out there floating around who will gladly take the 1-year paycheck.

If I could link a video to represent Beckman right now, it would be Kevin Bacon in "Animal House" shouting "remain calm, all is well!!" before being run down by the stampede.
NJJ87 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:00 PM   #18
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
Beckman is not killing the program. Period. Nonetheless, Gilmores departure doesn't have to be about money or being the odd man out...it might just be that he prefers to coach a different style of play than Banks system requires...better for Banks to get his own guy..he's going to be held responsible no matter what
Please tell me how Banks and Gilmore have differing styles...seems like you're reaching.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJJ87 View Post
At this point it seems like it's every man for himself, the ship is sinking fast. You can't fault anyone on the staff for moving to where they'll have a better chance at keeping their job longer than the last day of the season this coming fall. Landing a quality OL or DL coach in this environment will be almost impossible, but thankfully there are a lot of mediocre coaches out there floating around who will gladly take the 1-year paycheck.

If I could link a video to represent Beckman right now, it would be Kevin Bacon in "Animal House" shouting "remain calm, all is well!!" before being run down by the stampede.
What are you talking about? Beatty was fired. Butkus and Gilmore had no previous ties to Beck, so it shouldn't be a complete surprise that they are moving on (or at least looking). Contrary to talk at the end of the season there has been no mass exodus of asst coaches.

Fedora has to replace a couple of coaches. Is his staff crumbling?

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:01 PM   #20
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Please tell me how Banks and Gilmore have differing styles...seems like you're reaching.
It wouldnt be Banks and Gilmore..it would be Banks and Koenning....Banks defensive lineman hold and read the gaps to free the linebackers and Vics guys played more 3 technique and shot the gaps in his scheme along with the linebackers...Gilmore just coaches the system his DC runs

you didn't notice the difference in Akeem Spences play under the two systems?
...Jonathan Brown perhaps...he went from Butkus Award watch list to a speed bump...

Not saying Banks won't build a great D...he has...but it's different than Vic's and it starts upfront
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:05 PM   #21
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
It wouldnt be Banks and Gilmore..it would be Banks and Koenning....Banks defensive lineman hold and read the gaps to free the linebackers and Vics guys played more 3 technique and shot the gaps in his scheme along with the linebackers...Gilmore just coaches the system his DC runs

you didn't notice the difference in Akeem Spences play under the two systems?
...Jonathan Brown perhaps...he went from Butkus Award watch list to a speed bump...

Not saying Banks won't build a great D...he has...but it's different than Vic's and it starts upfront
Mercilus required a number of double teams last year which allowed Spence to beat his man time after time last year. This year, teams could jam him and he would be taken out of the play.

JB was hurt all year so nothing really to compare there...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:58 AM   #22
NJJ87
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
What are you talking about? Beatty was fired. Butkus and Gilmore had no previous ties to Beck, so it shouldn't be a complete surprise that they are moving on (or at least looking). Contrary to talk at the end of the season there has been no mass exodus of asst coaches.

Fedora has to replace a couple of coaches. Is his staff crumbling?
UNC has lost 1 coach (not 2, the staff is in tact but with the rumored departure of the DL coach which is the basis for this thread) from an 8-4 team, and he is said to be moving to the SEC. There has been no mass exodus of coaches at Illinois because other than Gilmore, no one wants these guys. (If Gilmore stays, it will truly be a blessing for Illini football, but I'll bet on him leaving). The coaches who have left have gone to: 1. the unemployment line, 2. that DI powerhouse FIU

Beckman thought he could hire a bunch of young, energetic recruiters, but unfortunately none of them (with the exception of holdover Gilmore, and perhaps Salem) can coach a lick. So far in round 2 of attempting to build a Big10 quality staff he's convinced a pre-retirement just-fired coach looking to build up his retirement bank account to join him for a year. Oh, and he's had an opening for an OL coach for a month, right during the home stretch of recruiting season. Let's see who the next great talent he has lined up to coach up our OL. Should be very telling. And if he's got to find a DL coach as well, just consider that person more ballast for the SS Beckman.

Last edited by Dan; Jan 23, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
NJJ87 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:04 AM   #23
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIllini View Post

I thought all of that Big Ten money would allow us to be able to pay an assistant coach more than North Carolina.
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:09 AM   #24
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJJ87 View Post
UNC has lost 1 coach (not 2, the staff is in tact but with the rumored departure of the DL coach which is the basis for this thread) from an 8-4 team, and he is said to be moving to the SEC. There has been no mass exodus of coaches at Illinois because other than Gilmore, no one wants these guys. (If Gilmore stays, it will truly be a blessing for Illini football, but I'll bet on him leaving). The coaches who have left have gone to: 1. the unemployment line, 2. that DI powerhouse FIU
As you see below UNC's DL coach is "rumored" to be gone. But, it's a 100% chance of it happening. The below is from Footballscoop. And my buddy, who is on the coaching staff at UNC, confirmed it.

Quote:
South Carolina: Sources tell us that North Carolina defensive line coach Deke Adams will join the staff.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:12 AM   #25
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
I thought all of that Big Ten money would allow us to be able to pay an assistant coach more than North Carolina.
Your mistake is thinking it's all about money.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »