Illini Basketball 2016-2017

Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:20 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Roster
Schedule
Tickets Thread

https://twitter.com/IlliniMBB/status/791278207760752736

Last edited by Dan; Oct 26, 2016 at 12:35 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:28 AM   #2
JudsonFTS
Easy to see Malcolm is the Alpha in that group.

Getting excited to see wha happens this season.
JudsonFTS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:17 AM   #3
FiveStar
i hope this extra strength keeps us from wearing down late in games and late in the season. I'd be interested in what kind of nutrition plan the coaches are pushing.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:28 AM   #4
Calvin
Any reports from scrimmages on DJW?
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:03 PM   #5
jrichisamazing
Lol at Lucas cheesin' while everyone else is trying to look hard.

Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:21 PM   #6
FiveStar
The Lucas injury is a bummer. Have to think he would have had some major gains these last 3 months.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:51 PM   #7
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
The Lucas injury is a bummer. Have to think he would have had some major gains these last 3 months.
I dunno. I think he was able to do some jump shooting when he first got here so I'd assume he wasn't that limited as far as the lifting goes. He might have missed some conditioning and some explosiveness drills, however. He's the odd man out as everyone else, including Kipper, has been here since the winter and longer. I'm sure he's stronger, but 3-4 months is a little unrealistic to achieve the superman look we now expect from everyone.
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Bailey
For those who care - and carried over from the shoe company thread - looks like we're finally up to speed on some current team models from Nike. Still behind on some of the higher end kicks that the Dukes, Spartys, UKs have been receiving, but that's expected.
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 02:55 PM   #9
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
I dunno. I think he was able to do some jump shooting when he first got here so I'd assume he wasn't that limited as far as the lifting goes. He might have missed some conditioning and some explosiveness drills, however. He's the odd man out as everyone else, including Kipper, has been here since the winter and longer. I'm sure he's stronger, but 3-4 months is a little unrealistic to achieve the superman look we now expect from everyone.
As an incoming freshman, Lucas looks like the biceps and triceps are coming along per the pic. He should show considerable physique progress in his final year.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 04:28 PM   #10
Illiniguy13
Quote:
Lucas is just a baby. Give him time
Illiniguy13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 04:42 PM   #11
Illinijose
walk on Clayton Jones had a good fg percentage overall and from the 3pt. Good size for PG and appears to have good handles and feel for the game. Wonder if he may take some minutes.
Illinijose is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 05:08 PM   #12
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
For those who care - and carried over from the shoe company thread - looks like we're finally up to speed on some current team models from Nike. Still behind on some of the higher end kicks that the Dukes, Spartys, UKs have been receiving, but that's expected.
I'm pretty sure we've been up to speed since Groce got here. IIRC, Bruce was pretty strict on what shoes were acceptable. Groce lets the players where whatever they want as long as they are team colors.

Old Oct 1, 2016, 05:30 PM   #13
Bailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
I'm pretty sure we've been up to speed since Groce got here. IIRC, Bruce was pretty strict on what shoes were acceptable. Groce lets the players where whatever they want as long as they are team colors.
I'm speaking more to what Nike is giving us, and generally speaking (unless the players chose not to wear them), prior to this year we've been a season behind on nike performance basketball shoes. There's a couple pairs in the picture above that are from 3-4 years ago. Maybe we just don't discard team shoes from over the years.
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 07:00 PM   #14
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniguy13 View Post
Lucas is just a baby. Give him time
I think maybe I wasn't clear on my Lucas comment. I'm not bemoaning his lack of progress. I'm bemoaning what I view as a missed opportunity. For example, maybe he can max squat 275, I'm disappointed his injury didn't afford him the opportunity to get to 315 or whatever.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 07:42 PM   #15
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinijose View Post
walk on Clayton Jones had a good fg percentage overall and from the 3pt. Good size for PG and appears to have good handles and feel for the game. Wonder if he may take some minutes.
Do fans for other teams do this too?
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 08:01 PM   #16
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Only if they have 3 PG's under scholarship.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 08:01 PM   #17
illini80
Interesting comments by Groce on WDWS today. He said Tracy was stronger, faster, jumping higher and more explosive than at anytime in his career. I still have a hard time believing he will come back better, but I can't imagine JG laying that kind of expectations on him if he isn't up to it. It would be huge for this years team if it comes to pass. Supposedly his jump shot is much improved too.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 08:05 PM   #18
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
Interesting comments by Groce on WDWS today. He said Tracy was stronger, faster, jumping higher and more explosive than at anytime in his career. I still have a hard time believing he will come back better, but I can't imagine JG laying that kind of expectations on him if he isn't up to it. It would be huge for this years team if it comes to pass. Supposedly his jump shot is much improved too.
It's hard to believe any of this is true and not just coach speak/confidence boosting.
illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 08:16 PM   #19
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
I will be rooting for Tracy and Malcolm so hard this year. Those guys deserve a great season. Would love for them to go out on a high note.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 08:56 PM   #20
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
It's in the same vein as begging for minutes for the 3rd string QB.

Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:00 PM   #21
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
It's hard to believe any of this is true and not just coach speak/confidence boosting.
I mean fletcher did post gains on August 4 for our guys. Tracy's older numbers would have probably been post acl recovery, while his current numbers are post Achilles. Unless fletch is lying on his Twitter, it's unambiguously true.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:17 PM   #22
Obelix
Quote:
I mean fletcher did post gains on August 4 for our guys. Tracy's older numbers would have probably been post acl recovery, while his current numbers are post Achilles. Unless fletch is lying on his Twitter, it's unambiguously true.
I do not think he meant Fletcher's numbers. I believe he meant that Tracy is stronger, faster, jumping higher, more explosive, with a better jump shot than at anytime in his career. That describes a much better overall player, not just Fletcher's numbers. You have a senior who suffered 2 major injuries/surgeries, has not played in more than two years, and comes back a much better player than ever before.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:34 PM   #23
Sizzler22
I really think people bash on Tracy too much on this board. I think of it this way, he has not only been good for the Illini in the past but he has also been able to see the game from the sideline and take away a lot of experience from that end. He's probably 5 years older than most of the competition out there and he's an Illini guy and will work his tail off. Give the kid a break and hope for the best. If Groce has faith in him then so do I. Tracy was a captain the past two years if I am correct and he was chosen by his teammates. Dudes a winner.
Sizzler22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:37 PM   #24
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzler22 View Post
I really think people bash on Tracy too much on this board.
Huh?
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:41 PM   #25
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I do not think he meant Fletcher's numbers. I believe he meant that Tracy is stronger, faster, jumping higher, more explosive, with a better jump shot than at anytime in his career. That describes a much better overall player, not just Fletcher's numbers. You have a senior who suffered 2 major injuries/surgeries, has not played in more than two years, and comes back a much better player than ever before.
I don't know if he's going to be "better" but people that have seen him play recently have made it seem like he is indeed faster, stronger, and more explosive. Not sure about the jump shot, but that would be the least surprising thing to improve.

I'm not surprised that Tracy has been able to get to this point physically but I am still curious on what his game will look like when he plays real competition.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote