Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

1/8 Games

Old Jan 8, 2017, 03:57 PM   #1
JIllini
NC State got absolutely smoked @UNC 56-107

Also Nebraska took their first Big Ten loss at home against Northwestern.
JIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Second and Chalmers
So I watched Minny/NW and Iowa/Nebraska the other night and sat there thinking "we're better than all four of these teams"

Now I'm watching Wisky/Purdue and thinking "whoa, these teams are WAY better than us"
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 04:54 PM   #3
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
So I watched Minny/NW and Iowa/Nebraska the other night and sat there thinking "we're better than all four of these teams"

Now I'm watching Wisky/Purdue and thinking "whoa, these teams are WAY better than us"
Well, Purdue and Wisky both have so many of those top 20 rated players they have to be better than us.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 04:55 PM   #4
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:

Yeah. No question there's a big gap between the top few and the middle of the road B1G teams this year.

Old Jan 8, 2017, 05:32 PM   #5
illiniknight
Wow Purdue is taking it to Wisconsin. This will mean that everyone in the league already has at least one loss. This is going to be an interesting year.
illiniknight is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Bear8287
Rejoice Illini fans!

No. 14 North Carolina ran off a 20-0 first-half run to blow Sunday's game open and beat North Carolina State 107-56. (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400933455)

See. It could be worse!

Oh, does this mean that we can now stop counting the N.C. St. game as a "good win"?
Bear8287 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 06:46 PM   #7
WesterveltVictoryCigar
NC St is still #28 in the RPI.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 06:49 PM   #8
illiniknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
NC St is still #28 in the RPI.
And for those who prefer KenPom. They only dropped from 53 to 57.
illiniknight is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 06:52 PM   #9
TriCityBurbs
So Minnesota looks really really good. Long, athletic, shot blockers...can't see us beating them this year.
TriCityBurbs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 06:53 PM   #10
CoalCity
Minny takin it to the Buckeyes early. Freshman Coffey is really quick to the hoop. Lynch and Murphy are formidable inside. They're gonna be a handful.
CoalCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 07:55 PM   #11
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCity View Post
Minny takin it to the Buckeyes early. Freshman Coffey is really quick to the hoop. Lynch and Murphy are formidable inside. They're gonna be a handful.
Most importantly, they play defense!
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 07:58 PM   #12
Kingo24
Ohio St. lost to Illinois, thus making their claim for 2nd worst team in the conference quite strong.
Kingo24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 08:22 PM   #13
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCity View Post
Coffey doing some bigtime dunkin'.
Illini B-Ball Fan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 08:26 PM   #14
TriCityBurbs
Minny is my super early sleeper team that could make the second weekend. So many weapons, versital players, long, athletic, shot blockers, good in transition, experienced point guard (sounds familiar )
Old Jan 8, 2017, 08:37 PM   #15
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityBurbs View Post
Minny is my super early sleeper team that could make the second weekend. So many weapons, versital players, long, athletic, shot blockers, good in transition, experienced point guard (sounds familiar )
I can hardly believe what they've done. They're the most improved team in the nation by a country mile, and it's with mostly the same guys. I guess that still leaves me a little dubious, but they have legit wins, seeing is believing
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 08:43 PM   #16
TriCityBurbs
Quote:
I can hardly believe what they've done. They're the most improved team in the nation by a country mile, and it's with mostly the same guys. I guess that still leaves me a little dubious, but they have legit wins, seeing is believing
Lynch and Coffey make them so dangerous.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 08:51 PM   #17
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Lynch and Coffey are huge additions that really change their team, especially on defense. And you've got a couple of guys making the frosh-soph leap, so it's not surprising that they are drastically improved. They also played a pretty soft schedule so kind of snuck up on people, but the 2 road wins in conference play have been eye opening.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 09:55 PM   #18
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Lynch and Coffey make them so dangerous.
Akeem Springs=Waukegan
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:41 PM   #19
Bear8287
Quote:
So Minnesota looks really really good. Long, athletic, shot blockers...can't see us beating them this year.
Only play them once at home this year.

Illini probably need at least 3 wins out of 6 home games against Wisconsin, Michigan, Maryland, Northwestern, Michigan St and Minnesota (assuming that the Illini take care of the lower tiered Iowa and PSU at home).

Anything less than 6-3 at home in B1G probably leaves this Illini looking from the outside in on the Big Dance.

If you don't like the Illini to beat Minnesota, where do you think they get at least 3 wins from the remaining 5?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:54 PM   #20
JIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear8287 View Post

Illini probably need at least 3 wins out of 6 home games against Wisconsin, Michigan, Maryland, Northwestern, Michigan St and Minnesota (assuming that the Illini take care of the lower tiered Iowa and PSU at home).

Anything less than 6-3 at home in B1G probably leaves this Illini looking from the outside in on the Big Dance.

If you don't like the Illini to beat Minnesota, where do you think they get at least 3 wins from the remaining 5?
Michigan, Northwestern, and Michigan St. Still, I don't think 6-3 would be enough. In that case we'd need at least 4 (maybe 5) road wins.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:45 PM   #21
TriCityBurbs
Quote:

Never said they would!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:56 PM   #22
Bear8287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski300 View Post
And for those who prefer KenPom. They only dropped from 53 to 57.
...and before this loss to UNC, Lunardi had N.C. State as the 5th team out of the tourney.

At this point, the Illini only have one win against a Lunardi projected tourney team and that is VCU and VCU was his last team in. So Illinois' record against projected tourney teams is now 1-4. Where are the other "good wins" going to come from?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:58 PM   #23
Bear8287
Quote:
Never said they would!
LOL!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:01 AM   #24
Bear8287
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIllini View Post
Michigan, Northwestern, and Michigan St. Still, I don't think 6-3 would be enough. In that case we'd need at least 4 (maybe 5) road wins.
In that case then you view Illinois' next game against Michigan as a "must win"?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 01:57 AM   #25
JIllini
Quote:
In that case then you view Illinois' next game against Michigan as a "must win"?
Yes, or very close to it.