Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Tennessee-Martin, Sunday, November 12th, 5:00pm CT, ESPNU

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 10, 2017, 08:53 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 35,010
Illinois vs Tennessee-Martin
Sunday, November 12th
5:00pm CT
ESPNU

Dan is offline
Old Nov 10, 2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Illwinsagain
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 1,639
I've got it DVR'd. Look forward to it more than the NFL, is that wrong?
Illwinsagain is online now
Old Nov 10, 2017, 09:21 PM   #3
InterimLoyalty
Posts: 112
Looks like Tenn-Martin went to overtime tonight against Marshall in a losing effort after having a pretty decent lead at half. With the short rest, will be interesting to see what they have in the proverbial tank, mentally and physically.
InterimLoyalty is offline
Old Nov 10, 2017, 09:36 PM   #4
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
I've got it DVR'd. Look forward to it more than the NFL, is that wrong?
Ha, no way is that wrong.

__________________
I'm not tense, just really, really alert.
FeelYourPaign is online now
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:09 PM   #5
skyIdub
skyIdub's Avatar
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
I've got it DVR'd. Look forward to it more than the NFL, is that wrong?
It's the opposite of wrong.
skyIdub is offline
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:15 PM   #6
Captain Bubbles
Captain Bubbles's Avatar
Location: Fairfield, IL
Posts: 2,960
Looking at UT-Martin's roster, there are a couple of Illinois connections. You have first year assistant coach Zach Carpenter who was an assistant at Wabash Valley College when Dan Sparks was coaching and John A. Logan College.

Jerome Davis out of Waukegan also played at JALC. Averaged 11 ppg. They have six players on the team from Memphis.

__________________
"I think the life blood of our program is recruiting. To be able to get Mr. Basketball in this State, we gotta be the option. Not just a option, we gotta be the option." - Brad Underwood
Captain Bubbles is offline
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:22 PM   #7
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Posts: 2,012
Here's some stuff on UT-Martin from the OVCball.net website:

This is from their preview of UT-Martin's game against Marshall:

Quote:
Without question, the Skyhawks three-year run of 20+ win seasons has been quite impressive. To make it four, they’re going to be relying on a whole lot of new faces: UTM returns just four guys from last season and a single starter: Matthew Butler.

Last year, Butler was a solid hybrid point guard who could just as easily hit a pull up jumper as find an open guy for an assist, but he’s not that aggressive at driving the ball inside and he wasn’t the best at creating turnovers on the defensive side. But they didn’t need him to be a player that could do everything last year, not with guys like Jacolby Mobley, Javier Martinez, or Kedar Edwards around him. Now, with all three of those guys gone, Butler is going to be asked to do even more, and we’ll see if he’s up to a, frankly, lofty task.

UT Martin didn’t play a game in the preseason, (other than an intrasquad game) so there’s even less to go on when it comes to the mostly new supporting cast.
And here's a brief bit of info from their preseason power rankings, where they had the Skyhawks ranked 9th out of 12 in the OVC:

Quote:
Yes, I know UT Martin has had three straight 20-win seasons and yes, I know they’ve made (and lost) the OVC Tournament title game each of the past two years. But this team is almost unrecognizable from those teams, so the Skyhawks recent history is mostly irrelevant here. Matthew Butler is a good player, but is he first-team all-OVC good? You’ll likely be hearing a lot of new names out of Martin this year if the Skyhawks are going to keep their successful roll going.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 07:14 AM   #8
Illiini
Illiini's Avatar
Location: In the land of the Nittany Lion
Posts: 71
There should be a lot of deer-in-the-headlights faces in Martin, TN, except I've never seen deer act like deer in the headlights. They always run away. If the guys bring the same kind of intensity Sunday as they did last night, it's giong to be a beatdown worthy of a gangster movie.
Illiini is online now
Old Nov 11, 2017, 07:32 AM   #9
skyIdub
skyIdub's Avatar
Posts: 1,119
If they can keep that intensity ( I think BU won't let them relax) they will wax these guys. Imagine last night plus making 3 or 4 more three's.

I would like to see us hold them under 50 pts. Keep this defensive intensity and pressure and shoot a little better, look out.
skyIdub is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 08:44 AM   #10
Goldtop
Posts: 115
I liked that we couldn't buy a 3 last night and still scored 105. Underwoods offense doesn't rely on one way to score. The last couple of years if the 3's weren't falling we were in trouble.
Goldtop is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 09:04 AM   #11
whovous
Posts: 1,521
It is not easy for a young team to play well for two games in a row. I think Sunday will be quite a bit closer than yesterday.
whovous is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 09:12 AM   #12
IlliniinIowa
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
It is not easy for a young team to play well for two games in a row. I think Sunday will be quite a bit closer than yesterday.
You're right. There will be ups and downs this year. This one though, I still expect to be a rout.
IlliniinIowa is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 09:48 AM   #13
jrichisamazing
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
It is not easy for a young team to play well for two games in a row. I think Sunday will be quite a bit closer than yesterday.
Eh, I think we would've won just as easily without the freshmen. We would've scored more if the freshmen weren't playing. The upperclassmen played great. We had a big enough lead that BU could let the freshmen play and learn without worrying about mistakes costing the game. If it was a closer game we would've seen a lot more of Tejon, Alstork, Finke, and Black. If those 4, plus maybe AJ, can be consistent then we'll be able to get through the highs and lows of the freshmen and make the tournament.

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 09:59 AM   #14
TownieMatt
CU Expat
TownieMatt's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,048
I expect a lot tougher game Sunday. We won't play a team as bad as Southern again this year. The intensity level yesterday was phenomenal, can we do it again after the adrenaline of the first game has worn off? We'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I expect a win.

Illini: 79
UTM: 63

__________________
In Whitman We Trust
TownieMatt is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:32 AM   #15
IlliniinIowa
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
I expect a lot tougher game Sunday. We won't play a team as bad as Southern again this year. The intensity level yesterday was phenomenal, can we do it again after the adrenaline of the first game has worn off? We'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I expect a win.

Illini: 79
UTM: 63
Illinois 94
UTM 67
IlliniinIowa is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:38 AM   #16
thethrash
Posts: 18
I've bought tickets in section 12 row B for this game. I can't find row B on the seating map. Does anyone know where that row in section 12 is?
thethrash is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:48 AM   #17
icengineer
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrash View Post
I've bought tickets in section 12 row B for this game. I can't find row B on the seating map. Does anyone know where that row in section 12 is?
Apparently you have to sit in the aisle...

That's the Orange Krush section....
icengineer is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:53 AM   #18
thethrash
Posts: 18
Tracking that it is the ORANGE Crush section...hoping it isn't in the aisle. ��
thethrash is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:50 PM   #19
Philly Boy
Location: Deerfield IL
Posts: 1,122
Zone Against Us?

I didn't see the Southern game, and have only glanced thru the BU videos on the spread and his offensive scheme. So maybe FiveStar or someone else could tell me: Can the offense we run now work against zones? I would imagine some parts of it might.

I do think, based on the Southern U game, we will be seeing a good many zones -- at least until we show we can hit from outside. Last nite, we couldn't hit threes, but we were able to drive well (and pick up fouls).

To me, this translates into our opponents playing a zone that gives up the perimeter. Or maybe a packline that surrounds the rim. It seems that either D would effectively cut off the easy lobs and the easy drives, forcing us to hit from outside. And maybe preventing an effective use of the spread?
Philly Boy is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:52 PM   #20
ChazzReinhold
Mom! The Meatloaf!
ChazzReinhold's Avatar
Posts: 431
Southern played a lot of zone against us.
ChazzReinhold is online now
Old Nov 11, 2017, 01:08 PM   #21
TheLegendaryOne24
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniinIowa View Post
You're right. There will be ups and downs this year. This one though, I still expect to be a rout.
I think the team will continue to grow but how good would this offense be if TJL actually went to Smith's side (left) equally as many times as the Right side...then you have a 1-2 combo punch going on with Smith/Alstork...
TheLegendaryOne24 is online now
Old Nov 11, 2017, 01:13 PM   #22
TheLegendaryOne24
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Eh, I think we would've won just as easily without the freshmen. We would've scored more if the freshmen weren't playing. The upperclassmen played great. We had a big enough lead that BU could let the freshmen play and learn without worrying about mistakes costing the game. If it was a closer game we would've seen a lot more of Tejon, Alstork, Finke, and Black. If those 4, plus maybe AJ, can be consistent then we'll be able to get through the highs and lows of the freshmen and make the tournament.
I think Smith will be a key factor this season especially when the competition gets better. I like AJ glad to see him have a good game but AJ playing in front of Smith is not an remotely an option. DaMontee and Frazier both are playing solid. Southern was not any good Yes there should be some leadership from the upper classmen but you cant tell me that TJL (Soph) and AJ are both better than Smith as a freshman TJL just has B10 experience and AJ didnt play last season....

You may not like the freshman involved in this rotation but they are going to play big roles in some key upsets this team is going to pull this season...
TheLegendaryOne24 is online now
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:22 PM   #23
CLEARWATERDAN
Posts: 153
Illinois -17.5
CLEARWATERDAN is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 03:25 PM   #24
jrichisamazing
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendaryOne24 View Post
I think Smith will be a key factor this season especially when the competition gets better. I like AJ glad to see him have a good game but AJ playing in front of Smith is not an remotely an option. DaMontee and Frazier both are playing solid. Southern was not any good Yes there should be some leadership from the upper classmen but you cant tell me that TJL (Soph) and AJ are both better than Smith as a freshman TJL just has B10 experience and AJ didnt play last season....

You may not like the freshman involved in this rotation but they are going to play big roles in some key upsets this team is going to pull this season...
Well if you watched the game yesterday, it was clear that AJ and TJL both played better than Smith. My point is there will be times where Smith or one of the other freshmen look like the B1G FOY, and other times where they look like walk-ons. I love watching the freshmen play, and they need to play. But we need the upperclassmen to stay consistent so we still have a chance to win when the freshmen are off.

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline
Old Nov 11, 2017, 05:13 PM   #25
Goldtop
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Well if you watched the game yesterday, it was clear that AJ and TJL both played better than Smith. My point is there will be times where Smith or one of the other freshmen look like the B1G FOY, and other times where they look like walk-ons. I love watching the freshmen play, and they need to play. But we need the upperclassmen to stay consistent so we still have a chance to win when the freshmen are off.
You had me until this line. They will look like freshman. Walk-on is a tad over the top.
Goldtop is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump