Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs DePaul, Friday, November 17th, 7:30pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 12, 2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 34,975
Illinois vs DePaul
Friday, November 17th
7:30pm CT
BTN

Dan is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Spoon House
Spoon House's Avatar
Posts: 173
Another step up in opponent quality.

__________________
Not affiliated with the actual Spoon House.
Spoon House is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 07:26 PM   #3
dweebs19
Posts: 489
Hopefully, we have a good week of practice and cleanup the mistakes.
dweebs19 is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Captain Bubbles
Captain Bubbles's Avatar
Location: Fairfield, IL
Posts: 2,960
How long has it been since Illinois played DePaul? Several years I think.

Good to see an in-state rivalry renewed.

__________________
"I think the life blood of our program is recruiting. To be able to get Mr. Basketball in this State, we gotta be the option. Not just a option, we gotta be the option." - Brad Underwood
Captain Bubbles is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Lucy727
Lucy727's Avatar
Location: Des Plaines, Il
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bubbles View Post
How long has it been since Illinois played DePaul? Several years I think.

Good to see an in-state rivalry renewed.
Said on radio Illinois last played them in 1957. Loooong time ago.

__________________
Lucy727 is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 07:57 PM   #6
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bubbles View Post
How long has it been since Illinois played DePaul? Several decades I think.

Good to see an in-state rivalry renewed.
FIFY
rbachhuber is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 07:58 PM   #7
frozenrope9190
frozenrope9190's Avatar
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 670
This should be fun, and I hope it continues for several more years, regardless of this years' outcome.

__________________
"Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks
frozenrope9190 is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 09:26 PM   #8
jrichisamazing
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bubbles View Post
How long has it been since Illinois played DePaul? Several years I think.

Good to see an in-state rivalry renewed.
Rivalry? Just like Northwestern?

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:25 PM   #9
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Posts: 2,010
For those of you wanting to take a look at DePaul prior to the game Friday night, their game against Delaware State tomorrow night will air on FS2 at 7PM.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is offline
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:53 PM   #10
ILLINIShox24
Orange Krush '04 & '05
ILLINIShox24's Avatar
Posts: 369
For the sake of any listeners of Chicago sports radio, we must win this game.
ILLINIShox24 is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Illiini
Illiini's Avatar
Location: In the land of the Nittany Lion
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINIShox24 View Post
For the sake of any listeners of Chicago sports radio, we must win this game.
Convincingly.
Illiini is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:47 AM   #12
KrushCow31
Former Krush Cow
KrushCow31's Avatar
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 362
I feel very not good about this game. I hope we win but DePaul played a 14th ranked ND pretty tight most of the game. Notre Dame hadn't gone up by 10pts till 8:30 left in the 2nd half.
KrushCow31 is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:57 AM   #13
JFGsCoffeeMug
Blunderbuss
JFGsCoffeeMug's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrushCow31 View Post
I feel very not good about this game. I hope we win but DePaul played a 14th ranked ND pretty tight most of the game. Notre Dame hadn't gone up by 10pts till 8:30 left in the 2nd half.
I don't feel good about any of our games right now. At our current level, we are very beatable. Glad BU teams have a tendency to improve.

__________________
#WEWILLWIN
JFGsCoffeeMug is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:40 PM   #14
7yearillini
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGsCoffeeMug View Post
I don't feel good about any of our games right now. At our current level, we are very beatable. Glad BU teams have a tendency to improve.
Isnít this where someone says the word system a few more times than I can stomach?
7yearillini is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:55 PM   #15
TCTORNADO
Posts: 9,593
We are 12-6 against DePaul all time with last game being in 1957 and Illini won in C/U 75-70.
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 04:14 PM   #16
HTT
Posts: 54
If this game is 20mins, I am confident that it is a comfortable W for

But I am really worried about our gas running out again at final 10mins of 2nd half.

Anyone can give a head up on how deep is this Depaul roster?
HTT is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 05:45 PM   #17
IlliniGman
Location: Carmi, IL
Posts: 246
I received an awesome phone call this morning from a friend who happened to have one extra ticket to this game from the company he works for. It's not just any extra ticket either, they have reserved seating in the Legacy Club!! Looking forward to enjoying that and hopefully enjoying an Illini beatdown at the same time

__________________
"We are going to bring the good days of basketball back to Illinois, and I want to be one of the cornerstones to start it out" - Ayo Dosunmu
IlliniGman is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 05:56 PM   #18
Peoria Illini
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT View Post
If this game is 20mins, I am confident that it is a comfortable W for

But I am really worried about our gas running out again at final 10mins of 2nd half.

Anyone can give a head up on how deep is this Depaul roster?
Looks like they went about 7 deep against ND. 7 guys with 13 minutes or more. Good size. Guards are big

Starting lineup was 6-11, 6-7, 6-6, 6-6, 6-2. Two main guys off the bench, 6-9 and 6-5.

Didn't shoot well from anywhere, overall, threes or FTs.

Only 4 turnovers. Not sure if ND pressured much or not.

They play tonight on FS2.
Peoria Illini is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 07:37 PM   #19
IllFanInMi
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoria Illini View Post
Looks like they went about 7 deep against ND. 7 guys with 13 minutes or more. Good size. Guards are big

Starting lineup was 6-11, 6-7, 6-6, 6-6, 6-2. Two main guys off the bench, 6-9 and 6-5.

Didn't shoot well from anywhere, overall, threes or FTs.

Only 4 turnovers. Not sure if ND pressured much or not.

They play tonight on FS2.
I watched entire game vs ND, and two bad possessions early in 2nd half started the momentum to ND, it was even until then; ND also caught fire big time from three to open it up mid way through 2nd half.

This DePaul team has a lot of new faces, quality transfers, size, and most importantly discipline that has been lacking for years. Leito seems to have his guys, playing like a well coached team as he learned from Cahoun and others. Iíve watched a lot of DePaul games, and their quality of play seems to be much improved. Not gonna lie, big fan of DePaul my entire life, along with the Illini of course.

I think this game will be an extreme challenge for both clubs, DePaul bigs could
be a major problem.
IllFanInMi is offline
Old Nov 13, 2017, 08:04 PM   #20
Gunner23
Location: Panama City, Florida
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Rivalry? Just like Northwestern?
IMHO, not "just like" Northwestern, but pretty close. I don't consider DePaul or Northwestern to be one of our rivals... I could be wrong in my opinion but, I don't consider any of the in-state teams to be a true rivalry with the Illini.
Gunner23 is online now
Old Nov 13, 2017, 08:12 PM   #21
illini80
Location: Forgottonia
Posts: 2,347
I've been expecting us to lay an egg or two. Really hope this isn't one.
illini80 is offline
Old Nov 14, 2017, 09:34 AM   #22
TownieMatt
CU Expat
TownieMatt's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
I've been expecting us to lay an egg or two. Really hope this isn't one.
I think the week of practice and scouting prep will be big. Plus this is an opponent with some name recognition, which should help with focus.

__________________
In Whitman We Trust
TownieMatt is offline
Old Nov 14, 2017, 09:38 AM   #23
JFGsCoffeeMug
Blunderbuss
JFGsCoffeeMug's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
I think the week of practice and scouting prep will be big. Plus this is an opponent with some name recognition, which should help with focus.
I'm with you, Matt. If we can take care of business against DePaul, Marshall will be another great test of our mental toughness.

__________________
#WEWILLWIN
JFGsCoffeeMug is offline
Old Nov 14, 2017, 04:00 PM   #24
icengineer
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Awesome View Post
My prediction: Depaul 84- 76 Illinois. Bet the over; since DePaul with be at least +3-4 underdogs, bet on the moneyline.
Are you the guy who said bet the over on the UT-Martin game?
icengineer is offline
Old Nov 14, 2017, 04:32 PM   #25
FollowTisdale
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Are you the guy who said bet the over on the UT-Martin game?
Don't worry, he's progressive betting. He literally can't lose!
FollowTisdale is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump