Bracketology

Status
Not open for further replies.

whovous

Washington, DC
Caveat is I would rather have more games to play in the BTT if we were already in that position. I'd rather be playing 4 games in the bottom half of the bracket, and have PU/WI as the 1/4 Seed on the opposite side, if that were possible.

Agreed. We'd likely play Michigan or the kitties on Friday and then get crushed by PU on Saturday. I'm not sure one BTT win gets us in after two byes.

Dan

Admin
Question- Are good wins in a postseason conference tournament included in a team's Selection Committee resume? Has the NCAA commented on this recently?

Quite a bit of discussion on this on page 4 of the NW game.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=23707&page=4

Short answer is that they count, but late games, especially on Sunday, are hard to consider as they are too close to final brackets being announced.

FWLIW, my sometimes faulty memory saw an interview with a committee member that said if it would change a team's selection (even at-large), they will make alternate brackets for both outcomes. They won't make those for seeding, instead going on what they know as of the early afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_3777.PNG
    IMG_3777.PNG
    138.4 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_3778.PNG
    IMG_3778.PNG
    179.5 KB · Views: 378
Between the Top 3, I would rather avoid Purdue the most. They are definitely the team that scares me the most. Wisconsin is beatable, and so is Maryland.

Personally, I hope we get matched up again Wisconsin, as I think a win there would do the most for our tourney chances. With the rotation that JG is running out there now they are definitely beatable if the Illini play like they did against NW and Iowa.

whovous

Washington, DC
We are First Four out in USA today...as I have said the bubble is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo weak, its not over and even with 1 more regular season loss. Win out and take one game in BTT and 19-13 will put the team right at the cut line

Wow. I just said in another thread that we were still a distance from first four out land. The bubble must be incredibly weak this year.

The bubble must be incredibly weak this year.

It is. Apologies if I've already posted this here, but one factor is many of the mid major leagues that would sometimes send 2 or 3 teams are going to send just 1 or 2 (barring upsets in the conf tournies). The conference consolidation has moved programs like Creighton from the Missouri Valley to the Big East. The A10 lost Xavier & Butler. The Mountain West just isn't that good. The Valley is a shadow of what it used to be.

So now the bubble is dominated by the Power 5 + Big East and a bunch of them already have double digit losses, so it's not attractive to look at.

This current run is fitting with this team's identity --> #FakeRally. What they are doing now on a full season level is what they have done in several games this year. They play poorly to a point where it looks like all is lost and you don't even have to watch anymore. Then they start playing well, make a run, and things get interesting. It even looks like there is a small chance they could pull it out. Then, they don't.

Given this team identity, it is clear to me how the rest of the season will unfold. In order for the fake rally to really be in effect, Nebraska will have to be defeated. I really think Michigan St. will also have to be defeated for many to truly start to think, "Hey, there is a small chance we might get in the dance." Which brings us to the final regular season game. A game against the worst team in the league. A game this team would seem destined to lose to after getting everyone's hopes up, only to once more see them swallowed in the vast darkness of yet another #FakeRally.

I'll accept wagers via PM :D

This current run is fitting with this team's identity --> #FakeRally. What they are doing now on a full season level is what they have done in several games this year. They play poorly to a point where it looks like all is lost and you don't even have to watch anymore. Then they start playing well, make a run, and things get interesting. It even looks like there is a small chance they could pull it out. Then, they don't.

Given this team identity, it is clear to me how the rest of the season will unfold. In order for the fake rally to really be in effect, Nebraska will have to be defeated. I really think Michigan St. will also have to be defeated for many to truly start to think, "Hey, there is a small chance we might get in the dance." Which brings us to the final regular season game. A game against the worst team in the league. A game this team would seem destined to lose to after getting everyone's hopes up, only to once more see them swallowed in the vast darkness of yet another #FakeRally.

I'll accept wagers via PM :D

This wouldn't surprise me...but I still see us putting on an underwhelming performance against the Huskers and this shimmer of hope being put to rest

whovous

Washington, DC
If Rutgers defeats Michigan would we get the 5 seed?

You can change the result of any remaining game(s) you want and that website will give you the resultant tournament seeding and brackets. You can get an Illini fourth seed if you choose your upsets judiciously. They key is to make sure no one other than the top three get ten or more wins. Playing with the bracket can get addictive.

If the only change you make to FiveStar's graphic above is to have Rutgers beat visiting Michigan tonight (tomorrow night?), then we'd tie for 5-8 and get the five seed on the tie break. Taking it still further, we'd play the winner of the PSU-OSU game on Thursday, and if we won, we'd play Minnesota on Friday. Another win would likely lead to Purdue in the next game.

If we beat Purdue on Saturday, the moon would fall from the sky and both the remainder of the Big Ten tourney and the entire NCAA tourney would be canceled. Groce, of course, would then be fired for failing to make the tournament after causing the cancellation with that impossible string of wins. Would Illinois then face sanctions for causing March Madness to be canceled? It is too soon to say.

Don't know if this is the only way but here's a path to the 6 seed.

Leave all of yours the same but make these changes and we're the 4 seed!

Feb 25-26 - Minny loss
Feb 28-Mar2 - Minny loss, Wisky loss
Mar 4-5 - Ohio St., Maryland and Nebraska

:chief:

Let's say the next three games are all 50-50. Some a little higher and some a little lower, but 50-50 on average. Our chance of winning all three equals 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5, or 0.125. So, a 1 in 8 chance of finishing 9-9 and roughly a seven seed. Note that there is no chance of playing Purdue, Wisconsin or Maryland on Thursday. They will all be in the top four with a Thursday bye. If we win the next three then we'll be paired against a lower seed on Thursday. Call it 50-50 again and it is 0.125 x 0.5, or 0.0625. That is 1 in 16.

Those are not good odds, but I'll take 'em. Our only chance of getting NW or Minny in the next game is if one of them was a four seed and we were a five seed, and it is hard to see any tiebreak getting us to the fifth spot even if we tie for it.

If we got there with an eight seed, our next game would be against the one seed, and that is likely Purdue, since they win the head to head tiebreak with Wisconsin. If we get there with a six or seven seed, we get either Wisconsin or Maryland.

So, a 1 in 16 chance we get to Friday, at which point we play one of the top three. Our best chance is against Maryland, in my humble if uninformed opinion. If we call that chance 1 in 3, then our chance of getting to Saturday is 1 in 48. The odds get worse if we get Wisconsin or Purdue.

50-1 odds we play on Saturday with a 9-9 league record. If we do all of those things, I think we dance. If we lose any of the next three, I think we need to at least play on Sunday to dance, and we probably need to win that one, too. The odds on that?

Bad.
I made a pretty similar analysis over in the coaches thread, unless we fall to 12/13 seed or climb to a 4/5 in a mega-tie breaker situation we look like a pretty sure bet to get one of Purdue/Wisconsin/Maryland on Friday. I almost think the best situation is the 8/9 seed, have to beat Wisconsin or PU Friday, get an easier game Saturday (likely NW, MSU,or MN whoever comes out of 4/5 game), then hope for an upset on the bottom half of the bracket so we only have to go through 1 of Wis/PU/MD...and yeah that all adds up to bad odds, the only positive is WI/PU/MD are less scary as top teams than the typical year in the B1G and after that nobody is significantly better or worse than us, so seems more likely than most years for a lower seed to win.

With our current resume? I like to see it but I don;t understand it at all.

I don't see it either, but we don't have a bad loss and have a very difficult schedule. VCU is currently a premium Neutral floor win

????? Still hard to see it

Status
Not open for further replies.