Brad Underwood Named Illini Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniRunIn07

Tampa, FL
Wow, it is GOOD to be an Illini fan today. Watching tournament games is more exciting when you have confidence your team will be playing in them regularly. I miss March! #WeWillWin

EJ33

San Francisco
Hopping on the train (after being skeptical an hour ago).

I can't recall such universally glowing comments about an Illinois hire (even Lovie). Greenstein, MacIrvin Fire, Steve Bardo...like nobody is negative.

Josh is betting this system in the B1G will draw recruits - I think he's probably right.

SFC will be vibrating with this Coach's style of play. No more pining for the the good ol' days ('89 & '05)

Nice seeing a different teams discussion board melting down for once tehee.

For all of these weird people who are concerned about Bruce Weber losing his job next season and Underwood jumping to KSU. Just Wow! Absolutely nuts. He hasn't even landed yet at Willard and we have people worrying about sh$t like this.

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
People who didn't know his name (who in turn don't know college basketball) are the ones who are upset. Those who know what they're talking about love it, so I'm on board.

Agreed. I also think many were overestimating the perception of the UI job. I'm not saying our program is a bad get, but we're a long way from where we used to be. If things go well with Underwood I would imagine the next time we are looking for a coach we could seriously be considered by Bennet, Marshall, etc.

Welcome to the Illini family coach!
:hailtotheorange:

That's good, because Texas is one of if not the hardest market in the US to recruit.

He had a high school coach from the Dallas area at OSU. Was Phil forte and Marcus Smart's high school coach. Because of that, Dallas area coaches like him.

Hopping on the train (after being skeptical an hour ago).

I can't recall such universally glowing comments about an Illinois hire (even Lovie). Greenstein, MacIrvin Fire, Steve Bardo...like nobody is negative.

Josh is betting this system in the B1G will draw recruits - I think he's probably right.

What did bardo have to say? Sorry I picked the wrong year to give up Twitter for lent:tsk:

illini55

The Villages, FL
Who are his present assistant coaches and what are their backgrounds?

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Brad Underwood is Trending at #3 in the US right below #Wisconsin and Villanova.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
great hire! the part that i find most interesting is JW is now 2 for 2 for coaches that nobody really thought were on the market. That's some serious strategery right there. Do you think NC State or Indiana even knew he was on the market? Did their AD's think to even sound him out? And the speed and level of secrecy of the process JW pulled off made sure that he got him locked down before anyone else really even knew what was happening. Well played...this guy must crush it at poker.

welcome Coach Underwood! Best of luck to ya!

EJ33

San Francisco
Is this the best thing Kaplan has ever said about Illinois?

Illinois AD Josh Whitman made a GREAT hire in Brad Underwood. I've known him for a long time. Trust me, he will win and he will get PLAYERS!

Our new Coach clearly disagrees with you...

Agreed. I also think many were overestimating the perception of the UI job. I'm not saying our program is a bad get, but we're a long way from where we used to be. If things go well with Underwood I would imagine the next time we are looking for a coach we could seriously be considered by Bennet, Marshall, etc.

Welcome to the Illini family coach!
:hailtotheorange:

"Coaching basketball at the University of Illinois is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," Underwood said in a statement. "The players, fans and administration at Oklahoma State have been absolutely incredible, and I want to thank them for the support they've given me and my family over the last year. However, during my time at Western Illinois, I always saw the Illinois coaching job as one of the truly best in the nation. I want to thank Josh Whitman for the opportunity to join the Fighting Illini family and look forward to working with him to build a championship program."

I think Underwood is also a guy who matches competitiveness, passion and intensity with Whitman.

Status
Not open for further replies.