Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black went from 6.5 ppg to 16.4 last year. Is it more of a stretch for Kipper to go from 9.7 to 16? Will he be a worse defensive player? Can Giorgio match Finke? Kane match Ebo? DeLaRosa add anything? I agree our front court is the weakness, just not sure it is worse than last year and the backcourt is significantly better IMO. We'll see!
Dead on accurate statement.

Trent and DaMonte both played good defense as freshmen (as did TeJon). Not convinced freshmen can't play defense. Requires a mind set and quickness. Also giving coaching some credit on Black's improvement and believe they have some raw talent to work.

[G]iving coaching some credit on Black's improvement and believe they have some raw talent to work.
tbh, this my biggest takeaway from last season, and the surest indication I can think of that we have a good hire in place.

tbh, this my biggest takeaway from last season, and the surest indication I can think of that we have a good hire in place.

Agree read the attachment I submitted about Carroll in recruiting thread....telling if you ask me and validates your point.

May also be that DeLaRosa is a better defenseman on one leg than any big last year.

B1G note - I just looked at Wisconsin's schedule. It is a big boy schedule.
@ Xavier (Gavitt Game)
Battle 4 Atlantis - Stanford, Florida/Oklahoma, Butler/Virginia possibly
NC State
@ Marquette
@ WKU

Does anyone have information on single game illini tickets for the Maui tournament? The Illinois booster tickets are sold out and I'm not even sure the regular Illinois full week tickets ever made it to general sale due to demand.

I'm wondering if single tickets are likely to be available, either through the official box office or through StubHub/etc? We're figuring out if we should make the trip to Maui but only want to go if we have a chance to see the beloved.

B1G note - I just looked at Wisconsin's schedule. It is a big boy schedule.
@ Xavier (Gavitt Game)
Battle 4 Atlantis - Stanford, Florida/Oklahoma, Butler/Virginia possibly
NC State
@ Marquette
@ WKU

They should be able to win the last 3 anyway.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Does anyone have information on single game illini tickets for the Maui tournament? The Illinois booster tickets are sold out and I'm not even sure the regular Illinois full week tickets ever made it to general sale due to demand.

I'm wondering if single tickets are likely to be available, either through the official box office or through StubHub/etc? We're figuring out if we should make the trip to Maui but only want to go if we have a chance to see the beloved.

https://mauiinvitational.com/sports/2014/8/6/GEN_0806144303.aspx

SINGLE-GAME TICKET INFORMATION
Single-game tickets, based on availability after booster ticket package sales, will go on sale Friday, Nov. 16, at 9 am HT. Tickets will be available for purchase at the Lahaina Civic Center box office or online at ticketswest.com beginning on Nov. 16.

They should be able to win the last 3 anyway.

I think you are vastly underestimating both Marquette and WKU. Wisconsin will be underdogs at both.
Last year Marquette beat Wisconsin by 19 at Wisconsin and WKU only lost by 1 at Wisconsin. We lost by 25 when we went up there, for the reference point. Both teams return quite a bit and now get the Badgers outside of Madison.

https://mauiinvitational.com/sports/2014/8/6/GEN_0806144303.aspx

SINGLE-GAME TICKET INFORMATION
Single-game tickets, based on availability after booster ticket package sales, will go on sale Friday, Nov. 16, at 9 am HT. Tickets will be available for purchase at the Lahaina Civic Center box office or online at ticketswest.com beginning on Nov. 16.

Thanks - I should have rephrased: does anyone know how likely it will be to be able to purchase single game tickets given how hot the team tickets were? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think the team 3-day tickets made it to general sale? (high demand from the travel packages)

The concern is booking a week trip to Maui and then not being able to scoop up 4 tickets when they are released on Nov 16th, either from the official box office or through 3rd party reseller (StubHub, Tick Pick, etc.). Whatever information anyone can provide will be helpful and will encourage more Illini at the tournament 😁.

With Christmas being on such an odd, crappy day of the week, I think this might finally be the year that I try to attend the Braggin' Rights Game. It's always been on my sports bucket list.

With Christmas being on such an odd, crappy day of the week, I think this might finally be the year that I try to attend the Braggin' Rights Game. It's always been on my sports bucket list.
I would wait until both teams are a little more relevant. The environment hasn't been of the same intensity recently. I think it was 2 years ago there was about 50 miznoz in the entire arena

tOSU game at UC @ 6:00. Well so much for a nice dinner before the game.

Yeah the youth and inexperience excuse should buy Underwood a few more years, fortunately for him the program has bottomed out, cuz that excuse wouldn't be tolerated at places like Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State, etc.
Well it wouldn't be tolerated at those places because the level of recruits he would be getting as freshman are borderline NBA level. If our team is "young" the next couple years, I understand. That is a valid excuse at our program level. When it wont be an excuse is if we have to replace three or four non-senior starters/contributors year in and year out (and we replace them with either freshman or transfers). I'm fine with attrition, even at the high level we saw this year, but that comes with the stipulation that the team can't forever be in rebuild mode or snatching the last top 300 recruit in march every year.

I struggle with thinking whether or not criticism (of BU's recruiting technique) is wrong at this point. I think its wrong to come to conclusions about how this team will shape up to be or that anything he's done so far will become a trend. But I think its justified to be skeptical of actions he's taken so far. he's got a few more cycles before I say what he's doing it wrong, but I question a lot of his actions. In the end, he could recruit kids soley from Panama, replace all thirteen roster guys, and only play four men on the court, winning is all I want to see.

he could recruit kids soley from Panama, replace all thirteen roster guys, and only play four men on the court, winning is all I want to see.

Keep that strategy on the back burner until March in case we have to revisit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.