Illini Football 2016

Sign me up for that and then some more. Peanut is fantastic - one of my favorite Bears players all time.

I think we will finish 5th, ahead of Minnesota and Purdue.

Last season Iowa had the easiest crossover schedule (Maryland, @ Indiana) and that definitely helped them in their run to the title.

Looking at crossover schedules for the teams in the West:

Illinois - @ Rutgers, @ Michigan, Michigan St
Iowa - @ Rutgers, @ Penn St, Michigan
Minnesota - @ Penn St, @ Maryland, Rutgers
Nebraska - @ Indiana, @ Ohio St, Maryland
Northwestern - @ Michigan St, Indiana, @ Ohio St
Purdue - @ Maryland, Penn St., @ Indiana
Wisconsin - @ Michigan St, @ Michigan, Ohio St

Every BIG West team has two road games. I assume next season will reverse. I like that they are doing that for competitive balance. Let's hope my assumption is correct. If you know, please chime in.

Purdue has the easiest schedule, but 100% of non Purdue fans will be shocked if they make a run this season.

Outside of Purdue I think the other 6 teams have the potential to win the West. Nebraska and Minnesota have the easiest crossover games only playing one of the top teams, so I will predict one of those two winning the West. I'll go with Nebraska.

Wisconsin opens BIG play @MSU, @UM, Ohio St @ Iowa. They might be out of it before October ends.

My uneducated prediction

Nebraska 6-3
Iowa 5-4
Illinois 5-4
Wisconsin 5-4
Northwestern 4-5
Minnesota 4-5
Purdue 2-7

I'm not terribly concerned about our W-L record or place in the standings this year. I am concerned about blowout losses, that is, I'd like to see an end to them. To me that's the first test for this new staff. Those blowouts under the previous regime was the biggest indicator of their ineptitude. And it constantly reinforced the perception of us as a third-rate clown-show and conference punching bag in the minds of fans, the media, and worst of all, recruits. We have time to work on raising the ceiling, but first we need to bring up that floor.

I think we surprise and end up 4th or tied for 3rd. Too many good seniors and too much good coaching to not do better than 6th.

That's my thought. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish better than that even. Our coaching staff has to be at least worth two more wins than the previous. And like you said a lot of good seniors and hopefully not 60 dropped passes.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I'm not terribly concerned about our W-L record or place in the standings this year. I am concerned about blowout losses, that is, I'd like to see an end to them. To me that's the first test for this new staff. Those blowouts under the previous regime was the biggest indicator of their ineptitude. And it constantly reinforced the perception of us as a third-rate clown-show and conference punching bag in the minds of fans, the media, and worst of all, recruits. We have time to work on raising the ceiling, but first we need to bring up that floor.

Totally agree with this. In addition, the elimination of all those long gainers.

I saw that student season tickets are only $60. IIRC they were $90 or more the past few years. I really figured the Athletic Department would go for a money grab by increasing ticket prices, hoping people/students showed up because of Lovie. But I'm pleasantly surprised. Grange Grove and now this, maybe the Atheltic Department is starting to get it.

I saw that student season tickets are only $60. IIRC they were $90 or more the past few years. I really figured the Athletic Department would go for a money grab by increasing ticket prices, hoping people/students showed up because of Lovie. But I'm pleasantly surprised. Grange Grove and now this, maybe the Atheltic Department is starting to get it.

Whitman gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I think I paid $59 for mine in 1991.

In 1975 a high school student could buy an endzone ticket for $1.50.
I still had my highschool ID and was able to get these tickets, work my way around to better seats, and enjoyed many games for this small price that year.

I guess I'm revealing my age here.

GO Illini!

In 1975 a high school student could buy an endzone ticket for $1.50.
I still had my highschool ID and was able to get these tickets, work my way around to better seats, and enjoyed many games for this small price that year.

I guess I'm revealing my age here.

GO Illini!

Wow, that pricing would have helped out when I was a student. But, I bet you had to walk uphill, both ways, through the snow, to get to the game. :D

That sounds like an excellent first goal to me. :thumb:

Did anyone see the media day depth chart!? Shocking Hayes got the other corner spot....was thinking Watkins would.....but I new the lbs would be nickerson Jones and Crawford! Corbin got the number 2 rb spot too