Illinois 70, Missouri 64 POSTGAME

I really like having Tejon and Trent playing together going down the stretch. Right now Tejon is better at running BU's traditional offense, but Trent is better at making things happen late in the shot clock.

But the difference in this one was the lack of silly turnovers. In past losses we had at least 5 or 6 silly turnovers. I'm not sure if we even had 1 tonight.

Yeah, Leron Black (Hole)... It gets frustrating watching him shoot almost every time he gets the ball, except when it goes in.

On one of the last 2 or 3 possessions of the game, he got a key offensive rebound on a Frazier missed layup, and tried to go back up with it. Thankfully he got blocked and the ball went right back to him, because after that, he kicked it out to waste more clock. Should've done that in the first place, but his mindset is always SHOOT/SCORE.

Just a thought that may or may not have occurred to you.....are you certain, due to his phenomenal success at scoring against bigger guys and his dependable skill in getting off tough shots and making them that BU does not encourage him to shoot almost every time he gets the ball. Illinois has had power forwards in the past (Pruitt comes to mind) who truly was a Black Hole...his next assist will be his first....and I hated to see him get the ball. NOt so with Leron as he is a talented scorer inside....something that he was not in previous years. I have a lot of confidence in his ability to score anytime he gets the ball...and has not been the case until this season. I guess one has to look at his season's percentage very closely. Jordan is shooting the ball lights out...yes....but it is too easy to shut him down with a bigger, quicker, defender. Not so with Leron, and he scores at a high percentage compared to most others. Oddly, he seldom draw a double team and that is likely why BU would want to give him a green light.

Black

I am so impresssed with blacks improvement this year. He has become our offensive anchor. Plus he doesn’t foul nearly as much any more....

Sure he is and that is evident....but Lucas does has some really good parts of his game that are valuable to this team. Shooting 3s and free throws in the clutch are two of the most visible, if not THE most visible, stages a player can stand upon. Neither is a strength of TJL's game at this point....not that it has to be a weakness forever but a ton of hard work and mental effort is needed. Frazier is better at both at this time.

But both kids really bring their lunch pails to work at the defensive end and look to their teammates with confidence. They are desperately needed talents lacking in the program for several years. I, for one, embrace their talents, enthusiasm, attitude, and hard work and am glad they wear the orange and blue. That one is better than the other is irrelevant in the long run. They are both needed to play, both make mistakes, and are improving with every game. I did like that BU put Lucas on the bench in the last minute of this game as he does not need to shoot critical free throws at this point. He improved his technique and showed it to me a couple of games ago. Tonight, he took a step back and did not bring the ball to a starting point and did not keep his weight on the balls of his feet. He was not too far off, but the misses said it all and he did not need to shoot more of them. I think, due to seeing his improvement, that he will become dependable, but does not need to shatter his confidence at this time, especially if it would cost a critical win.

Anyway, I love both of these kids and to see the team with Smith and Williams is really fun to watch. This team should be a load next year, especially if BU can find some dependable and talented help inside.

yes, Trent is just feeling it now...which is really nice.... Kind of taking the Jawun Evans place in Underwood's offense. Te'Jon was a little frustrating tonight. It's nice to have to PG's.

Last edited:
can you spell your fiancé's name?... the last name's Black ;)

That was definitely the line of the night, right?
Even got a solid guffaw out of BU.
And pretty good planning by LB to pick a night when both families were together. I wondered what the reasoning was, then found out that it was pretty good.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Frazier and Lucas bring different things to the team and with our aggressive defense we really need both of them. Please appreciate what they both bring to the table.

Back home now from ScottTrade Center.
Late arriving crowd. But after the arena filled in, I noticed that just like at Assembly Hall, the empty seats were in Section A. Why don't the season ticket holders show up?
This is big time NCAA basketball. Split crowd, two bands, the cheerleaders and the dancers. This game matters.
Biggest impression was that in the first half the refs let them play. The guy on the Mizzou baseline was the one making dubious calls.
In the second half, they called a foul on every possession. In one sequence when Kipper was in there, we had 3 fouls within something like 5 seconds. The whole complexion of the game changed, and turned it into a free throw shooting contest. Of which we could not hit the broadside of a front end of a one and one.
Black was my hands down player of the game. Aaron Jordan didn't take a shot.
Our whole offense is run above the free throw line. Is this how college basketball has evolved?
Finally, Illinois is undefeated post-man bun. That says it all.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Big win of course, the kind that makes you think the garbage 50/50 games like WF and NW and UM can start breaking our way. Right in time for the B1G season.

I have to ask though, what is the BU in the Mizzou locker room meme about? I’ve only heard of Coach K doing that before.

EDIT: nvm, I figured it out. Lol Cuonzo...

Hopefully now we can put the Tilmon thing to bed. It was great to beat the team he chose but he kept his cool and represented himself well tonight. Fine young man who just plays for the bad guys.

We were the better team out there tonight (and probably actually are the better team this season).

For all the people questioning Tilmon's decision, just realize he pinned all his hopes on playing with a NBA level franchise like talent and due to injury it didn't pan out. Be like Underwood, compliment the player and then don't lose any sleep over it. I know I'm not. I'm just going to lose good sleep for bad sleep due to the beers I drank during the game tonight.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
After Mizzou beat SFA by 1 on Tues, Cuonzo asked to speak to the SFA players in their locker room. He then rambled about how they can be proud of their effort, and how it hurts to lose, but they should know they have a good team.

SFA posted the video to Twitter.

Some people have called it classy.

I think it shows Cuonzo is full of himself and a blowhard.

Dan

Admin
[youtube]mYAEDaCHlG0[/youtube]
[youtube]DNHNdo1GwCY[/youtube]

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
Yeah, Leron Black (Hole)... It gets frustrating watching him shoot almost every time he gets the ball, except when it goes in.

On one of the last 2 or 3 possessions of the game, he got a key offensive rebound on a Frazier missed layup, and tried to go back up with it. Thankfully he got blocked and the ball went right back to him, because after that, he kicked it out to waste more clock. Should've done that in the first place, but his mindset is always SHOOT/SCORE.

Always so positive

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I hope all of our opponents look at our record and underestimate what we're capable of doing on the court. Sure, we have five losses, but those were all eminently winnable games (maybe with the exception of UNLV).

I wonder how much trash talking Mizzou fans would be doing right now if we had been 12-1 going into the game. Just shows they expected to roll over us.

Which makes the win that much sweeter.

IWannaBeLikeDee

rockford, il
How automatic is Leron's midrange? I don't know if I can think of anyone who'd I'd rather have shooting a baseline jumper, maybe Hakeem, not to compare the two at all. He's been huge for us and I think Brad can point to him among some of his past players and say "see what we can do with our system for these bigs, imagine what you can do with these touches".

Super excited for our freshman. Still think next year is the year we take a huge step.

Seems like we finally have an identity! I'm stoked!

Last edited:

EJ33

San Francisco
Run, don’t walk, to see the performance being put on by NWMOTiger over on Tigerboard.

That message board is just brutal - was the last update in like 1998?

I'm really enjoying Mizzou's hopes for basketball domination completely imploding. They've still got people thinking they're a Final Four team. :doh:

How automatic is Leron's midrange? I don't know if I can think of anyone who'd I'd rather have shooting a baseline jumper, maybe Hakeem, not to compare the two at all.

I can think of many :D

In all seriousness, if there is one player that Leron should emulate his game after, it is Bernard King, although Bernard was much, much, much better. :)

Deleted member 649710

D
Our freshman >> Their freshman.

I don't understand why any mobile big man wouldn't want to come play with these guards. Great opportunity available here!

We were the better team out there tonight (and probably actually are the better team this season).

For all the people questioning Tilmon's decision, just realize he pinned all his hopes on playing with a NBA level franchise like talent and due to injury it didn't pan out. Be like Underwood, compliment the player and then don't lose any sleep over it. I know I'm not. I'm just going to lose good sleep for bad sleep due to the beers I drank during the game tonight.

I just read some Missou board saying that they were the better team :)