Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,882      

FT35

Naperville
You guys beat me to it. Gus was wrong.

#1,883      
Hearing Oladipo took a visit to Penn State recently so I'd expect a de commitment soon.

I don't think he has visited since the Ohio State game. He was in Champaign for the homecoming game and then his high school team played this past Saturday. Unless he visited sometime during the week, which I would find unlikely given how far travel would be, I don't see any reason why he would be likely to de-commit. He has had the PSU offer since May and had already unofficially visited before committing.

In addition, you can't always look to hard into "official visits". They are essentially paid vacations. If you can take up to five, why not?

#1,884      
I don't think he has visited since the Ohio State game. He was in Champaign for the homecoming game and then his high school team played this past Saturday. Unless he visited sometime during the week, which I would find unlikely given how far travel would be, I don't see any reason why he would be likely to de-commit. He has had the PSU offer since May and had already unofficially visited before committing.

In addition, you can't always look to hard into "official visits". They are essentially paid vacations. If you can take up to five, why not?

To State College, PA?

#1,886      
Olalere shortly after his visit to Pedophile U, said he enjoyed his visit and liked what he saw but he was still very strongly committed here.

#1,887      
Couple of thoughts on the last couple offers for 2017.
I liked everything but one on E St Louis senior Estes. That 160 frame would just worry me. One he needs to be a minimum of 205 to 210# to survive in our conference, and how he will perform after a 45 to 50 pound gain if in fact he gets there as runner that leaves a serious question. He has a heck of an arm it is just years ahead Thomas in reads and how how much arc or speed needed to get it there on time. Now I like Thomas arm every bit as much and I am guessing if they of similar weight the running would be as well. So I like him very much with but with one big proviso.
Juco de Boykin is a sde or 3 tech and for the same reasons as Jihad Ward. Best position might be a de in a 3-4 that said he would be a very good get. Personally I would have to seriously consider taking 5 defensive ends if we can get the quality we want. So the bee bees Boykin and Bagner would help with the upper class men void while O O and a couple of the half dozen or so high school guys would really flip the script as to the future at the position.

#1,888      

FT35

Naperville
I liked everything but one on E St Louis senior Estes. That 160 frame would just worry me. One he needs to be a minimum of 205 to 210# to survive in our conference, and how he will perform after a 45 to 50 pound gain if in fact he gets there as runner that leaves a serious question. He has a heck of an arm it is just years ahead Thomas in reads and how how much arc or speed needed to get it there on time. Now I like Thomas arm every bit as much and I am guessing if they of similar weight the running would be as well. So I like him very much with but with one big proviso.
Juco de Boykin is a sde or 3 tech and for the same reasons as Jihad Ward. Best position might be a de in a 3-4 that said he would be a very good get. Personally I would have to seriously consider taking 5 defensive ends if we can get the quality we want. So the bee bees Boykin and Bagner would help with the upper class men void while O O and a couple of the half dozen or so high school guys would really flip the script as to the future at the position.

Thanks for the insight, as always.

I didn't even realize that we offered Estes. I know he's committed to Missouri which has a number of East St. Louis kids on the roster. He was committed to Western Michigan before Missouri offered, however.

Maybe he's seeing how much playing time we're giving Stanley Green and will give us some consideration.

His lack of size, like you said, is the only concern. Otherwise, it's hard not to like his highlight reel. We really need depth at QB and he would be a nice fit in this offense.

#1,889      

BigStan97

Cincinnati OH

I disagree with Estes. He's listed as 5'11.5 and 164lbs. Players that need to get bigger from senior year HS to college normally put on roughly 10-15 lbs. if he's around 175-180 freshman year. He will continue to grow/mature and gain muscle. He can absolutely fill out to 190-200lbs as a QB and play in this conference.

Best thing about mobile qbs who are shorter- defenses have a hard time getting a solid hit in them cause they know how to play the angles and avoid taking big hits.

I like Estes cause he knows when to throw a rope and when to put some air/touch on the ball.

#1,890      

Estes offer most likely has more to do with the 5-star recruit that currently plays WR at EStL than it does with his individual playing ability...

#1,891      

FT35

Naperville
Estes offer most likely has more to do with the 5-star recruit that currently plays WR at EStL than it does with his individual playing ability...

I'm sure Thomas has something to do with it but they wouldn't offer Estes if they didn't think he could play here.

We desperately need warm bodies at QB. Look at who the options are if JGJ gets hurt. I would much rather have a JUCO or 5th year transfer, but we've only offered one JUCO that I know of (who looks worse than Estes) and we really have no idea if any 5th year transfer will come here or is even a good fit for this offense.

Cam Thomas isn't going to be anywhere close to ready next fall. Estes, on the other hand, is more polished and is someone who could be ready to contribute next fall.

I'm not sure how open he'd be to a position change, but Estes could also be moved to other positions if he doesn't work out at QB.

#1,892      
While Estes technique and football skills are further along is body is far behind. I have serious doubts either would be ready next year. That includes having either or both as Jan enrollments to start learning the playbook and get in the gym for the s+c.
I am not willing to just assume because a tiny guy is fast and quick he is not going to take a pounding that is foolish for a dual threat qb who is asked to run frequently.

#1,893      

BigStan97

Cincinnati OH
I don't feel like Estes or Cam will be anywhere near ready to play next year. But they both are intriguing prospects at QB for the future.

#1,894      
Did I miss where Crouch is injured for next year too? ;) I could see where a 5th year comes in and plays, but there should be no need for Cam to come in and have to play next year unless both JGJ and Crouch get hurt.

#1,895      
I agree with Cubby. If JGJ finishes the year as the starter, which I hope he does, having that experience plus everyone with another year in the weight room maybe means the offense can be solid. Then McGee can transition to his preferred offense over the next couple seasons letting kids mature in that system. Fingers crossed ;)

#1,896      

FT35

Naperville
Did I miss where Crouch is injured for next year too? ;) I could see where a 5th year comes in and plays, but there should be no need for Cam to come in and have to play next year unless both JGJ and Crouch get hurt.

Considering we are down to our 3rd QB this year, I would hope we have better options next year than Cam Miller, Cam Thomas and Trenard Davis.

#1,897      
I don't feel like Estes or Cam will be anywhere near ready to play next year. But they both are intriguing prospects at QB for the future.

Copy that.
Concerning George and Crouch. I like what George is capable of doing and his instincts. However he must show improvement over the last 3 games right now he is to hit an miss. Crouch we just have not seen enough of him for one thing.
I want to see him throwing some more passes when his arm is 100%. I had more of feeling than clear idea but his arm strength seemed better/respectable. For George I could say the same think about moving around the pocket passing on the move and running. Now I don't see him being asked to run the ball 5 to 10 times a game. But I had said I would like to see him take a collapsing pocket and and turn it in to a 5-10 yard gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.