Illinois Football Staff Thread

Here is the connection.

Greg Auman
‏@gregauman

Garrick McGee was freshman QB at Arizona State in 1991 when Lovie Smith was linebackers coach there.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
I'm all in on Sherman / Nickerson. Make it so... :thumb:

Chambana13

Charleston, IL
garrick turner.jpg

I have a hard time buying college coordinators making a lateral move at this point in the year.

Yeah, I wonder that too. My only thinking would be that if he is the OC under Petrino, is he really calling the plays? Could be where he sees a shot to completely control an offense with Lovie focusing on D.

Trakis

Chicago, IL
I'm only okay with McGee if he's just the QB coach. I don't want him calling plays.

I don't think McGee calls the plays. Probably just the OC title and QB Coach.

He's AHC/OC/QB Coach and is getting paid a ton of money. He was also reportedly Bob Stoops' first choice for OC last year before they hired Lincoln Riley.

He was also Northwestern's first OC under Fitzy, but left for Arkansas to become QB coach. Was he fired? Does anyone remember?

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
The key word you use is buying. Lateral moves may be lateral in title, but not always in salary.

A lot of it is about relationships too. That would be one of the biggest considerations for me in a lateral move.

I hope Lovie puts the staff together soon. The possibilities seem endless. :)

Best guesses given current intel:

OC - Garrick McGee (new info calls him "clear top target")
RB - Scheelhaase? I've also heard he was offered a non-coaching role with the team
WR - Andrew Hayes-Stoker
OL - Tim Holt

DC/LB - Hardy Nickerson
DL - Mike Phair
DB - ? I know that Miles Smith is going for his Master's; is Mikal still in play? If not, Gill Byrd has been with Lovie at pretty much every stop.

ST/Assoc HC - Dave Toub (not sure he'd be interested)

That would be a pretty insane coaching staff. If one more big name signed on, it would be over the top - clearly elite nationwide. My only concern is McGee's mixed track record, but he's clearly well regarded in the coaching community.

Mixed track record. Lots of success at Arkansas, where he coached the Ryan Tannehill/Knile Davis teams.

His Louisville offenses have not been great the last couple years, and he was a disaster as HC at UAB.

Ryan Mallett, not Tannehill.

And he was a disaster as the head coach of a football program at a school that had people doing everything in their power to shut down the football program.

McGee called plays while he was at UAB.

UAB S&P+ on offense in 2012: 86th
In 2013: 82nd

I'm only okay with McGee if he's just the QB coach. I don't want him calling plays.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look to me like McGee fits the stereotype of the ace recruiter who doesn't specialize in the X's and O's side of the game. Both Randy Walker and Bob Stoops wanted this guy to be their play caller.

If McGee comes aboard, it will be largely for the opportunity to call plays. The only reason he doesn't currently is that he's coaching under Bobby Petrino. I imagine he's ready for the chance to show his chops managing the flow of the game at a P5 school. Probably a necessary step on the way to a high profile HC gig 3-4 years down the road. This could be a good fit for all parties.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but what is McGee's offensive style? And is he known as a good recruiter?