Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
Jones is a great pickup. We are filling holes, but the jobs not finished yet. Ramey or Hinson and I will be ecstatic. Feliz and Hinson and I'll be very impressed with what the staff accomplished in a short period of time.

Next season may not be pretty, but I think we at least have some players that could be fun to watch develop.

You watch too much TV. The kid is not Rose. Not Zeke. Not Patrick Ewing's son who just won the NC.

Haha I was gonna say if Derrick Rose's high school tape is what you expect out of every 5* chi pg then you're setting yourself up for disappointment :thumb::thumb::thumb:. Man that guy was one of the best to ever do it in IHSA.

Regarding the conversations around what to potentially expect out of Ayo during his freshman year. I thought it would be fun to quickly look at players over the last 3 years who had a similar 247 ranking and find out what their freshman stats were on average. So I pulled guys ranked 24-28 (Ayo is 26) over the last three years, who didn’t redshirt, to see what their freshman season totals were:

Average of 13 players: 20.4 min; 8.2 pts; 3.8 reb; 1.3 ast
Best: 32.2 min; 15.6 pts; 6.8 reb; 3.5 ast
Worst: 6.4 min; 1.8 pts; 0.8 reb; 0.4 ast​

If you just look at the 6 guards in that group it is a bit different (Nick Weatherspoon, Ethan Thompson, Brandon Randolph, Emmanuel Akot, Mustapha Heron and Tyler Dorsey):

Average of 6 guards: 23.5 min; 9.1 pts; 3.2 reb; 1.8 ast
Best: 32.2 min; 15.2 pts; 6.1 reb; 3.5 ast
Worst: 10.4 min; 1.8 pts; 0.8 reb; 0.8 ast​

Given that Ayo will probably play a significant amount next year, I think we should be looking at 25 minutes, 10 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists.

If I am interpretating this correctly they don't think DaMonte can run the point. Not surprised but was curious. Still sorry we lost TeJon's defense and passing. Would have to believe it was his choice when he was starting at the end of the year. Still think next year's success will be more dependent on defense. Recruits look physically capable of improvement with length and speed.

I mean, we're his only offer, the film seems okayish, he kinda seems like just a guy. Which would be fine if that were a position of real need, but how many minutes are even available behind Trent and Ayo? TJL seemed to think not very many.

And a two-year block of scholarships seems neither here nor there, it's not a long term player, but it's also not a scholly available to us next year when we project to have two, maybe three at most.

A 5th year Khalid Lewis depth stopgap I would understand. A developmental redshirtable freshman I would understand. Feliz I do not understand. I can't fathom taking him over Hinson, that's for damn sure.

Congratulations to the coaching staff for an excellent job of recruiting. Every kid that comes to the Illini family, is worthy of our respect, and encouragement. Seems like a lot of couch coaches have turned up in the last few years. Glad we didn’ Have these blogs when I saw the flying Illini play in the Final Four in Seattle. I’m sure Nick Anderson would have been hammered for not blocking out in the last few seconds against Michigan.

The state of New York has some of the best basketball in America. Griffin is currently getting a re-ranking. Stay tuned.

Was more so a rhetorical question, but good to know [emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sinmyp

Back In Robinson!
O M G, Is this for real?!?!?! Flick an A!! Yes!!! This is huge

Past numbers not impressive but if we have a roster spot available for a year and Antigua likes him, can definitely use frontcourt depth and someone to help our young guys develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rim protector and good offensive rebounder, which is important when you have the drivers that we'll have next year.

Rim protector and good offensive rebounder, which is important when you have the drivers that we'll have next year.

Martin, a Miami native, transferred to USF after two seasons at USC. Last season Martin averaged 6.4 points and 4.7 rebounds per game. He shot a team leading 58.2 percent from the field and led the Bulls in offensive rebounding and blocks. Martin finished the season strong making 72.2 percent (26-for-36) of his shots in the last seven games of the season.

In November Martin posted career highs in points (24) and rebounds (10) in his first career double-double against Arkansas State.

spike49

New Mexico
We get TJ and the stock market is UP
It’s a win win Tuesday
Good to see all the Twitter activity giving TJ some Illini love

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago

Some of his 2017-18 stats:
- 4.5 BLK% would have led the team last year
- 12.1 REB% would have been fifth, slightly ahead of Finke
- 15.1 PER would have been 6th last season

He played two years at USC before transferring (likely Creaned). Decent rim protector, but his rebounding is pretty average for a guy that size. Also worth keeping in mind that he only started 8 games on a team that won 3 games in the AAC last year. Should definitely be a fallback option.

In fairness to Ayo and Super G ergi they played a much higher level of competition in high school. If the videos are from high school imo that should be considered.

They both have played against higher level of competition, which makes you feel good about there role in upcoming season. Myself, I have been much more reserved about expectations over last year. This group looks like a good one, and once they sign, staff can start to make plans

Still believe we are looking for a big guy, and Ramey would be great, but not getting hopes up. Think he is a reach, Feliz seems to be very interested, but not sure if he is exactly what we need.

Staff is building a good group of guys, but our lack of experience is something that will be a problem. The winning culture is the most important thing. Teaching these guys how to fit into the system is what needs to happen. BU is picking his guys, hope most all already know how to win.

Welcome Mr. Jones to Illini basketball.

Last edited:

Illini_1979

Oregon
Welcome Mr. Jones. :clappy::congrats::thumb::rock::illinois:

[YOUTUBE]-oqAU5VxFWs[/YOUTUBE]

This obviously isn't the best class ever, but one of my favorites. It fills a lot of holes. Griffin and Jones on the wings is going to be a thing of beauty. I think Jones, Griffin, and Samba's ceilings are very high. I'm still not sure on Georgi, probably because i just havn't seen enough of him. Ramey would be the cherry on top. Speaking of Ramey isn't he expected to announce visits soon??

Control the game and dominate it. He piles up points with regularity against quality competition. That is my hope for him as well.

And there's no doubting his first step and his lateral quickness, as well as his excellent size and length for his position. All of which bodes well for his defensive development.

But you think five-star Chicago PG and you're picturing a more explosive leaper and a more spectacular dime-dropper than what I've seen from Ayo, that's where my comment comes from.

Agreed....although different players...Brunson was 5 star and not a leaper and DWills high school teammate was ranked higher too. PGs being drunkers or crazy leapers although entertaining doesn't matter much at all. I prefer using both hands, vision, speed, quickness, vision, and shooting. If they happen to dunk every now and then ok. How often did this year's player of the year dunk?

You watch too much TV. The kid is not Rose. Not Zeke. Not Patrick Ewing's son who just won the NC.

Who was this year? Zeke..Isiah Thomas in all of college basketball this year? And really who cares as long as he makes an impact and we improve I'm all all good. I never have huge expectations for freshman unless they are top 10. That's why I wanted Brunson so damn bad after he put up 52 in the finals here in P-town

Status
Not open for further replies.