Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,226      
If Tilmon wanted to transfer to Althoff this year, he would have had to sit out per IHSA rules transferring from public to private. Seems, if this is true, he found a way to circumvent sitting while transferring.

#2,229      
Via Google: "La Lumiere School is a Roman Catholic, private, college preparatory boarding and day school located in La Porte, Indiana, United States."

Thats what I thought. Meaning it wouldnt be a public to private transfer. I believe you can go private to private and not sit out.

#2,230      
LaLu is also out of state so it doesn't matter. Pure genius on his part! What I meant to say is that since he transferred out of state he doesn't have to sit when he comes back. Rules only apply to Il schools.

#2,231      

sacraig

The desert
Thats what I thought. Meaning it wouldnt be a public to private transfer. I believe you can go private to private and not sit out.

Right but if he went from East St. Louis to Althoff it would be public to private. The above poster was implying that transferring to LaLumiere first circumvented the sit out year.

#2,233      
LaLu is also out of state so it doesn't matter. Pure genius on his part! What I meant to say is that since he transferred out of state he doesn't have to sit when he comes back. Rules only apply to Il schools.

This however is not true. Or it didn't used to be. The part about him not sitting out because he's coming from another state isn't true. When I was in school, a private school, we had a kid transfer in from Indiamapolis. Not recruited or anything but still had to sit out because he came from public school.

#2,234      
This however is not true. Or it didn't used to be. The part about him not sitting out because he's coming from another state isn't true. When I was in school, a private school, we had a kid transfer in from Indiamapolis. Not recruited or anything but still had to sit out because he came from public school.

You can transfer private to private, private to public, or public to private with the IHSA if you change primary residency. This happens all the time in the metro east. Basically, when your residency "changes" to another school district, then you can pick which school you want to attend.

I have worked in Belleville school districts for about 10 years now. The length that some of these families will go to is incredible to give their child an opportunity to succeed athletically.

#2,235      
Just left the Belleville game. I personally didn't see much from Goodwin that made me think can't miss. I often thought is this guy really D1. After both his missed fast break open dunks that were stuffed by the rim he failed to get back on defense and seem to have a negative attitude all night. I realize this is a one game sample size and my first time seeing him so hopefully someone can jump in and explainthe hype around him. I know that putting stock in one game means nothing but I just didn't feel D1 athlete with him.

Was at the game and can agree with the majority of this. I can live with him missing shots and whatnot, but the constant lack of hustle to get back on defense after missing a layup was really disturbing. I would guess half of his points came from 'cherry-picking' and not getting back on defense.

#2,236      
If rumors are accurate, and these rumors seem legit based on the two metro-east "insiders" I've heard from, maybe Tilmon and Goodwin playing together their senior year of high school will lead them to the same college. If this happens, Althoff will easily be the best team in the state again next year.

But even if Tilmon does transfer to Althoff, as seniors wouldn't they likely have signed somewhere this November, before they really play much at all together?

#2,237      
I find it interesting that no one responded to Nibbs post for 3 hours or so until you did RyanK. I had been flying high off the seemingly unanimous props for this kid and the possibility of getting him until now. :huh: I'm anxious to see who else chimes in on this. Someone mentioned he was in the hospital this weekend. Could that be the reason for what you guys saw? Or is this something you've seen more then this one game?

I would still love the kid to be an Illini, but just found his energy to be the complete opposite of the usual 'gritty' way he's described. Again...not basing my opinion on him based off the one game I saw, just thought it was interesting Nibbs commented something similar that my friends and I were talking about throughout the game.

#2,238      
I find it interesting that no one responded to Nibbs post for 3 hours or so until you did RyanK. I had been flying high off the seemingly unanimous props for this kid and the possibility of getting him until now. :huh: I'm anxious to see who else chimes in on this. Someone mentioned he was in the hospital this weekend. Could that be the reason for what you guys saw? Or is this something you've seen on other occasions beyond this one game?
Damonte Williams was in the hospital. They are referring to Goodwin.

#2,239      
I would still love the kid to be an Illini, but just found his energy to be the complete opposite of the usual 'gritty' way he's described. Again...not basing my opinion on him based off the one game I saw, just thought it was interesting Nibbs commented something similar that my friends and I were talking about throughout the game.
Well I can tell you this. My Asst. Coach and I went last Friday to Highland Sectional game and left with both of us saying that Illinois will never see this kid because he has BIG TIME written all over him. TIFWIW.

#2,240      
Saying "not D1" vs not being a can't miss is a pretty far stretch. If his non hustle and attitude are a problem in some eyes but his talent is still sufficient there are 350 + D1 schools who are out there. Branding him a D2, D3 or NAIA player is a pretty far reach considering the number of folks who have seen him and had good thoughts.

#2,241      

I watched the game online last night and agree with RyanK's assessment. Goodwin looked disinterested. Fortunately I've had the chance to see him play about a dozen other times and this was by far the worst game I've seen him play. I'll also add that he's a guy you need to see play probably more than once. A lot of his value on the court is that he doesn't constantly need the ball in his hands to make plays. He's typically not going to dribble around a lot. He's going to make the right cut, receive a pass, and find the open teammate or score quickly. Also he's looked much more athletic in other venues this year. Not sure if the court in Springfield is not very "springy" or what but if Althoff scores in the 80s they normally have about 5 or 6 dunks.

#2,246      

sacraig

The desert
Well let's just get them to commit before this gets too much more fluid. We are in need of some good basketball news.

#2,247      
People should not underestimate how Tilmon got to LaLu to begin with. Most think it was the ESL strike. Most people also don't understand how JCL got to LaLu from Cathedral.
Do not underestimate Groce having some involvement in both of these transfers.

#2,248      
People should not underestimate how Tilmon got to LaLu to begin with. Most think it was the ESL strike. Most people also don't understand how JCL got to LaLu from Cathedral.

i remember talk of JCL transferring to play for Wayne McClain before la lu was announced.

#2,249      

That has been my thinking as well. Groce is in very well with the lalu staff. Tilmon could be there under Groces advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.