Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,953      
Brief diversion of topic. For some of the old guard around here, how in the heck did Henson pull Derek Harper out of Florida when he did? The Illini were terrible in those days

Actually, they weren't. He got Harper after he had already got it rolling a bit.

#2,955      

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
Everyone take a deep breath.

Wednesday is the day.

:chief:

vwMin.gif

#2,958      
I have nothing newsworthy to post except to share my thanks and appreciation for the witty and clever posts I see on here. Thank you for the laughs and smiles...
:illinois:

#2,964      

dsboyce

Golden, IL
The infatuation Illini fans have with Chastain is really interesting. This kid does not have a single offer from a power 5 team in the Midwest. His offer list is very telling.

#2,965      

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
The infatuation Illini fans have with Chastain is really interesting. This kid does not have a single offer from a power 5 team in the Midwest. His offer list is very telling.

In all fairness to him, he was hidden on a 1A team, and missed summer play last year due to injury... so he has been under the radar. But you are right, he looks to me like a very good outside shooter who could find a spot as a 6'6" off guard in college, but likely not at the Big10 level.... He does handle the ball pretty well, but needs a lot of weight and strength to look like a high level college player. If he played 3 or 4A H.S. ball I suspect he would be seen a good shooter... But not get a lot of attention otherwise. But who knows?
Might develop into the next Larry Byrd in a couple of years, might sit the bench in the Ohio Valley.

#2,966      

midastouch11

New York, New York
In all fairness to him, he was hidden on a 1A team, and missed summer play last year due to injury... so he has been under the radar. But you are right, he looks to me like a very good outside shooter who could find a spot as a 6'6" off guard in college, but likely not at the Big10 level.... He does handle the ball pretty well, but needs a lot of weight and strength to look like a high level college player. If he played 3 or 4A H.S. ball I suspect he would be seen a good shooter... But not get a lot of attention otherwise. But who knows?
Might develop into the next Larry Byrd in a couple of years, might sit the bench in the Ohio Valley.

Larry Bird with a better jumpshot.

#2,969      
Perhaps the telling part is that recruiting has largely evolved to AAU monitoring and there probably is a seam that enables talented kids to be overlooked...and also allow teams to get a steal.

Curious what the thoughts are on his BB IQ and leadership...two elements that are often overlooked.

#2,972      

dsboyce

Golden, IL
Perhaps the telling part is that recruiting has largely evolved to AAU monitoring and there probably is a seam that enables talented kids to be overlooked...and also allow teams to get a steal.

Perhaps. It is possible that he's the next Ron Baker. The odds are heavily against it, though. I just find the subset of board members who think themselves better talent evaluators than college coaches to be amusing. The people who insist that Chastain has more athleticism than anyone on Illinois' current roster are particularly ludicrous.

#2,973      

Well I'd say think of Happ of Wiscy , or Anunobe of Indiana, Levert .I could comeup with more at Michigan, Players like that that weren't household names are a few.

#2,974      
Perhaps. It is possible that he's the next Ron Baker. The odds are heavily against it, though. I just find the subset of board members who think themselves better talent evaluators than college coaches to be amusing. The people who insist that Chastain has more athleticism than anyone on Illinois' current roster are particularly ludicrous.

I don't know if he can play at a high level or not , but talented players are missed all the time. The big schools are all busy fighting for the same high profile guys ( only one school gets the prize). I admire the coaches able to identify guys who can play , regardless of ranking (hello Bo Ryan).

#2,975      
Yep, Ryan has found some good players who were under ranked. But he also has had more than his share of 4 and 5 star players.

Status
Not open for further replies.