Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is the case couldn't the AD provide the necessary declaration that this isn't a thing?

So the AD tells the recruit Groce stays. Recruit then later backs out and signs somewhere else anyway. Groce tanks, gets fired anyway. No way this works out.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
Derek Piper just released an article. Tilmons mom finally spoke out.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1727298-silence-breaks-in-jeremiah-tilmon-camp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Seems like something non-basketball is going on....At the very least you know that it isn't radio silence like with JGood with the confirmation that they were down Saturday to see him. In all likelihood the staff and others close know the real situation and we fans are the ones hem hawwing.

EJ33

San Francisco
Listen to the Saturday Sportsline podcast.

The simple explanation here is that Kansas is coming at him hard and they have a great pitch.

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Listen to the Saturday Sportsline podcast.

The simple explanation here is that Kansas is coming at him hard and they have a great pitch.

If that's the case, maybe they should be a little more focused on that IU game last night as opposed to going after recruits that have already verbally committed to a different school.
Illinois 1-0
Kansas 0-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
Including Snacks? Careful.....

Yes including snacks. Basketball is not football where committed recruits are fair game. Generally coaches back off when a recruit is committed somewhere unless the recruit reaches out to them. As much dirty stuff goes on in basketball that aspect is hands down better than the football side.

Maybe it's just me, but it almost feels like no one respects UI. Everyone seems to feel like they can disrespect the U and do whatever they want. UI needs to put a fierce smackdown on one of these disrespectors some way to show that we can't be pushed around. You want to mettle with our committed recruits? You get a smackdown. You want to decommitt on signing day? You get a smackdown. Ere-body gets a smack down!

What is Kansas recruiting pitch? We lost out on other big men and now you are a priority. I'm glad Snacks isn't representing our university and I'll leave it at that. Bring back classier folks like Roger Powell to be assistants and leave that clown in Lawrence.

Mbrew87

Lincoln, IL
Just wait until it's down to a Illinois vs Kansas recruiting battle for Adam Miller. JH is already on him and is not going down without a fight.

Illinithad

Northeast Missouri
Watching the game last night, it looked like Bill Self has been hitting the snacks or the Budweiser. The belt buckle was drooping more than I remembered in the past.

In my eyes, he'd dead to me. He's the enemy now, and of course that can change when he comes back. But there is no program I hate more then Kansas.

This is ridiculous. It's our coaches' job to out-recruit KU or whoever else they're up against. I bear no ill will towards Bill Self or Jerrance Howard or anyone else. They're doing their jobs. This is the big leagues. Don't like other coaches coming in and taking all of your recruits? Do better. Period.

I'd take both of them back here in a second if we could get them back.

Chris Yates

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
Watching the game last night, it looked like Bill Self has been hitting the snacks or the Budweiser. The belt buckle was drooping more than I remembered in the past.

But his "hair" looked spectacular. The deal must be that Dollar Bill promised to do for Jeremiah Tilmon what he has done for Cliff Alexander and Carlton Bragg.

This is ridiculous. It's our coaches' job to out-recruit KU or whoever else they're up against. I bear no ill will towards Bill Self or Jerrance Howard or anyone else. They're doing their jobs. This is the big leagues. Don't like other coaches coming in and taking all of your recruits? Do better. Period.

I'd take both of them back here in a second if we could get them back.

It's certainly annoying, but I agree. I couldn't even tell you where any of our assistants went to school. But I would want them fired if they took a dive on recruiting battles with wherever it happened to be.

LOL, I have a friend who is not an illini fan who told me the same today. I wasn't watching, he's an IU fan, so... can I really call him a friend?

I hope everyone realizes this isn't about academics at all. Tilmon wants to play for Groce. Want Tilmon to play for U of I ? Hope Illinois has a great year so Groce gets retained. If Groce is here next year, so is Tilmon. Tilmon is too good to comitt to a coach he doesn't know if he wants to get to the next level.

I hope everyone realizes this isn't about academics at all. Tilmon wants to play for Groce. Want Tilmon to play for U of I ? Hope Illinois has a great year so Groce gets retained. If Groce is here next year, so is Tilmon. Tilmon is too good to comitt to a coach he doesn't know if he wants to get to the next level.

Why verbal then? Nothing has changed since he did. Makes no sense. Honor their loyalty with yours. He said that he committed because they were loyal. That has not changed and Groce will be here next year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No one knows whether Coach Groce will be here next year. I hope he is because that would probably mean we had a pretty good year and that would be a nice course to negotiate the winter through. But no one knows.

This is not the reason for the delay. Has nothing to do with Groce's job status.

Last edited by a moderator:

whovous

Washington, DC
On the flip side of this, if it's really the case, why not sign the LOI . If JG gets the axe won't the university let players out of that commitment ? If JT wants to come here then let Kansas be the one who has to wait. If he's that good they'll find a spot somehow for him.

Simple. By the time HCJG is axed, most schools will have completed their recruiting for next year. If he wants to fully explore his options, the time is now, not much later

Status
Not open for further replies.