Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Departure of Christian Williams Hurts Hawkeyes Depth

https://dearoldgold.com/2017/11/03/christian-williams-loss-hurts-hawkeyes-depth/

Junior guard Christian Williams, Iowa’s primary backup point guard from the last two seasons, notified Fran McCaffery last week that he will be transferring next semester and leaving the Iowa basketball team immediately. His last minute departure has the team searching for replacements, and the options are limited.

6-5 combo guard from Peoria, Illinois

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Departure of Christian Williams Hurts Hawkeyes Depth

https://dearoldgold.com/2017/11/03/christian-williams-loss-hurts-hawkeyes-depth/

Junior guard Christian Williams, Iowa’s primary backup point guard from the last two seasons, notified Fran McCaffery last week that he will be transferring next semester and leaving the Iowa basketball team immediately. His last minute departure has the team searching for replacements, and the options are limited.

6-5 combo guard from Peoria, Illinois

He's from Decatur, not Peoria. Played at St. Theresa, I think.

Illinois State would be a possible landing spot for Christian Williams. As for Tim Finke, I was impressed with his play in high school. His options could change considerably in the Spring after a successful high school season.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
My golfing days are pretty much a thing of the past after 2 back surgeries. I think I may have played Maryvale probably 20 years ago. It's great that they are doing that but they'd have to buy an awful lot of land around campus in a short period of time to make a significant difference. Being hemmed in by 35th Ave, Camelback, and the 17 pretty much limits their growth to expanding North, which is all residential. GCU's growth in such a short period of time has been pretty amazing. Sort of reminds me of the growth that University of Phoenix had a while back, sans the sports teams.

Always been a huge fan of Colangelo and Thunder Dan Majarle! Reminds me, is Majarle's still a thing? Haven't been downtown Phoenix in several years.
Majerle's is still there last I checked. Downtown Phoenix has changed a lot in the last five years, though, especially the Roosevelt Row area. Almost unrecognizable from what it was.

Majerle's is still there last I checked. Downtown Phoenix has changed a lot in the last five years, though, especially the Roosevelt Row area. Almost unrecognizable from what it was.

Majerle is a considered one of the up and coming coaches, and yes still at GCU.

The growth is happening and it is pretty nice to see, but yes there are still some "avenue" areas that are less than desirable.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Majerle is a considered one of the up and coming coaches, and yes still at GCU.

The growth is happening and it is pretty nice to see, but yes there are still some "avenue" areas that are less than desirable.

Majerle's the Sports Grill. ;) Just checked, 3 locations now.

It could help but Okoro really wants to be a Tarheel.

This is the first time I've seen this said anywhere...

Okoro's family and Ayo's are very close.. Okoro really likes Illinois for multiple reasons.

I think he commits to Illinois and possibly sooner rather than later.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Okoro's family and Ayo's are very close.. Okoro really likes Illinois for multiple reasons.

Obviously, that would be ideal. It's difficult to imagine a better playing time situation. Hopefully, the allure of playing for an elite program is tempered by the realization that he's going to be a plan B or C guy and constantly being recruited over.

Just putting in a plug for the Washington Tournament of Champions coming up Thanksgiving week. This tournament is a real gem and has featured countless future NBA players. I look forward to this little basketball respite all year long! Just me, a gym, a program, and a bag of popcorn and I am good. This year E.J. Liddell will be there and I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. Ignus Brazdeikis and George Conditt are both playing there as well (albeit bittersweet for us). Tourney information here https://washingtontofc.org/

Given the success of Illini Golf and Deron's basketball career, might be worth leveraging the two in getting him on campus more often.

Obviously, that would be ideal. It's difficult to imagine a better playing time situation. Hopefully, the allure of playing for an elite program is tempered by the realization that he's going to be a plan B or C guy and constantly being recruited over.

My worry is he will keep improving, have a huge summer, and be everyone's plan A guy. Since basketball is still so new to him, there's a legit chance that what we've seen from Okoro only scratches the surface of what he could be a year from now.

It’s been out there a while. Someone might have even posted about this scenario in July of ‘16:cool:

Tim Finke taking an OV to Grand Canyon University this weekend.

Tim Finke is listed on the Illinois Loyalty Scholarship Grid as "Offered/Uncommitted". Does Tim Finke currently have a "committable offer" from the University of Illinois? If so, why doesn't he call up the University of Illinois and take the offer? Is he undecided? On the other hand, is the university's offer currently "non-committable" ? If so, why? Is the university undecided?
I believe that a coherent discussion of Tim Finke's recruitment should start with the answers to those questions.

Tim Finke is listed on the Illinois Loyalty Scholarship Grid as "Offered/Uncommitted". Does Tim Finke currently have a "committable offer" from the University of Illinois? If so, why doesn't he call up the University of Illinois and take the offer? Is he undecided? On the other hand, is the university's offer currently "non-committable" ? If so, why? Is the university undecided?
I believe that a coherent discussion of Tim Finke's recruitment should start with the answers to those questions.

Finke seems like a midmajor guy if he signs early. Unfortunately his summer did him no favors. Really just unfortunate for him that he was injured during the most important basketball window of his life. If he waits and high majors miss out on their higher priority wing targets, he can probably find a high major to take him. If he can’t, he’ll still find a midmajor to take him. Verdell Jones taught me that if you really feel you’re a high major guy, you wait.

I'd be very interested to hear how these offers are made and all the inside info. Last summer, it seemed that Finke was sitting on offers from Kansas, Illinois, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and Ohio State among others. Now apparently those offers are not there anymore? How is that message delivered? Were the initial offers conditional in some way? What if a kid commits early and then the school changes its mind? They have to decide to honor the offer or pull it based on performance I suppose? Sure would discourage a kid from committing early and limiting his options if a school is going to pull the rug out from under them.

Deleted member 4333

D
When offers are made, they usually become public pretty quickly and I put them on the grid. If and when an offer is withdrawn, it's usually done privately and no one speaks of it. So, Tim Finke is on the grid because Groce offered. Whether he still has an offer is doubtful, but he'll stay on the grid until he commits somewhere, or it becomes public that his offer has been withdrawn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm assuming Ayo is expected to sign when the early signing period begins?

When offers are made, they usually become public pretty quickly and I put them on the grid. If and when an offer is withdrawn, it's usually done privately and no one speaks of it. So, Tim Finke is on the grid because Groce offered. Whether he still has an offer is doubtful, but he'll stay on the grid until he commits somewhere, or it becomes public that his offer has been withdrawn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification. If indeed it is "doubtful" that Tim Finke has a "committable" offer, the previous discussion in this thread about his recruitment makes perfect sense. If he has an offer and is not taking it, the discussion would not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.