Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,626      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The rumor winds are shifting in this late 11th hour!! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

tenor.gif

#1,635      

t7nich

Central IL
In a real head scratcher, Alabama was in to visit Timme on Sunday and have made him a main target. Not sure what to think of the whole Timme recruitment.

I wouldn't call it a head scratcher exactly. They've been on him since the spring, and I'm pretty sure they visited him 3 times last month. He's definitely a priority for them.

Certainly hard to get a good gauge on that recruitment, Timme seems to play things really close to the vest.

#1,637      
OA and Chin have been moving mountains for us on the recruiting path. Most of this current team is OA and Chin recruits. Watch how they play this year. We might get lucky with a fall commit, but this is likely another late spring class like last year. There's just no product on the court yet to sell to these kids.

#1,638      

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
OA and Chin have been moving mountains for us on the recruiting path. Most of this current team is OA and Chin recruits. Watch how they play this year. We might get lucky with a fall commit, but this is likely another late spring class like last year. There's just no product on the court yet to sell to these kids.

Yep...win and things will change..none of these kids have seen us be a relative program

#1,639      

Your statement is dead-on, can't argue with what has transpired on the recruiting trail. We are clearly a 3rd choice for our most coveted recruits at best. We got lucky with Ayo with the ties to Chin. Think staff has done well with recruiting late, but that is not going to get it done. Going to have to win and spotlight our key recruits (Trent, Ayo, Tevian) to change things around.

Weber unfortunately set us back by not landing top tier talent when Illinois was peaking in 2005-2007. BU has already out-recruited those years.

#1,641      

I agree on OA and Chin. I hope we see improvement on the player development side of things this season as well.

Walker is a hold over from a failed staff, and was only kept on to maintain established relationships and deliver on Tilmon and Co and Liddell/Okoro. I see absolutely no reason to keep him.

#1,646      
Duke has no 2019 commits yet. Of course, they only offered something like 12 players while we offered something like 55.

And Duke gets many fall commits all the time. And the elite caliber of players they recruit have (wisely) begun to wait until the spring to choose more often.

Something is seriously, seriously wrong if the only fall signee we have in two entire years under a new coach is a player who was essentially a direct purchase through an assistant coaching hire.

I don't think that will be prove to be the case in the end. But no one should be talking about that like it's a no big deal outcome. That would be an outcome which would show a need for radical changes in approach and frankly staff personnel going forward.

#1,650      
Only B1G team w/o a 2019 commit. Magic # to sigining day is 44 and counting.

Certainly doesn't look good if we keep our sites on top guys and come away empty. I thought the usual process was to have a mix of guys, and if you can get leverage on timing, use it to take an early domino. If you have 3 schollies, you'd think we'd get at least one guy to drop in October.

I'm not looking to blame anyone. We have a good class coming in, and some pieces to work with. I want to see the product on the court be a lot better this year, even if it means we're bubble material while this huge but young class matures. We should have enough buy-in to be decent. Don't know what to say about recruiting other than I will continue to reserve judgement until we have a class.

Status
Not open for further replies.