The Illinois AD Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,201      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Mark Tupper
‏@MarkTupper
Hearing today that it's George & Tiley. Or Tiley & George. Sounds like a 2-horse race. #dechr

QyZso.gif

Seriously though, have no idea what to think. No one seems to have a handle on even basic facts.

#2,203      
What I'm getting out of this conversation is that the little people want Khan to donate his money like T Boone, but shouldn't care one bit about who is taking his money and if it will be put to good use. Bizarre.

#2,205      
Couple of things.. the biggest faction of Guenther loyalists are the ECI country club crew. There is another smaller vacuum that is simply loyal to Guenther and not only wants a seat at the table, they want to be in charge of the table. Khan is part of this second group. Both are loyal to Guenther and both are doing a fine job of confusing the hell out of this situation.

Tupper said it best yesterday when he described Illinois athletics as "massive knot of wet yarn"

Thanks, that makes more sense.

#2,206      

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
I've seen so many hints from both sides it's amazing. Either "we're getting an Illini guy and we'll be happy" or "be prepared for the worst". The battle of leaks and spin control has been fascinating.

Goes to show how messy this process is. Would love to see a longform article sometime on the behind the scenes mess these last 6 months have been.

#2,207      

socalini

So Cali
Mark Tupper
‏@MarkTupper
Hearing today that it's George & Tiley. Or Tiley & George. Sounds like a 2-horse race. #dechr

Pick who you want and pay the man.

Don't flirt with them both and see which one wants it enough to take the lowest offer.

Don't drag it out.

Seize the day!

#2,211      

IlliniOX08

Bucktown, Chicago
University of Illinois announced today they will have a panel to begin searching for the solution to the yarn question :shield:

Yea too bad a group of stupid ECI people already leaked that they prefer wet yarn to dry yarn. Even though the popular vote is on the dry yarn. We're gonna need a search firm to look for the solution - this is out of control.

#2,214      

TyinLex

Kentucky
So the national search firm hired to help in the search, back channeling and interviewing of potential AD's, could in theory never physically interview the rumored two front runners the university has laid out...indeed odd times

#2,216      
Mark Tupper
‏@MarkTupper

If this is true then we are back! Either of these men can and will unite the fanbase and rally donors big and small.

Hiring either of them would be a home run, and a turning point for the University and Athletic Department.

#2,218      
This is in regards to Tiley and George...

Dave Wischnowsky ‏@wischlist 5m5 minutes ago
Totally understand. Did hear permission was requested to go above budget which would seemingly indicate 1 of those 2

J Smith @AleJSmith
@wischlist I'll believe it when I see it, Dave. I think all Illini fans would go nuts 2 land either, but too many letdowns to count recently

#2,219      
Mark Tupper
‏@MarkTupper

Get the gun ready. Both horses will somehow break a leg down the stretch. Probably a collision caused by the floundering horse named Tom Michael. He just wouldn't get out of the way!

#2,220      

EJ33

San Francisco
Guenther is a good guy who had great relationships with people, but he didn't understand the job.

Really? Come on.

Lots of good things happened under Guenther. He built a lot of facilities and hired some incredible coaches (Kruger, Self, Tiley, Small...). He also made some bad hires, but Zook and Weber looked pretty darn good for a few years. I'd take a repeat of the Guenther era in a heartbeat.

My biggest complaint with Guenther is that he didn't step up to try and keep Self. I doubt anything could have kept him, but imagine Illinois hoops had we kept Self. Of course, you've got to give credit to Guenther for landing Self in the first place.

With respect to his catering to boosters, the times were different. Guenther didn't have TV money and needed boosters to fund the department. Boosters are still important, but their money is a smaller part of the budget today.

#2,221      

CUWPC

Geneva, IL
New theory. All the people interviewed were to see if anyone could challenge Tiley and/or George and they couldn't. Plus I'm assuming there’s a protocol that has to be followed and several candidates have to be interviewed to have diversity in the process. Now extra money is being requested to make a strong offer to Tiley or George.

#2,222      
What if we do get George or Tiley and they come in and fail miserably?? And one of the other candidates, say Michael(just an example) goes elsewhere and just nails it with hires and so on?? Imagine the meltdown on here.

#2,223      
New theory. All the people interviewed were to see if anyone could challenge Tiley and/or George and they couldn't. Plus I'm assuming there’s a protocol that has to be followed and several candidates have to be interviewed to have diversity in the process. Now extra money is being requested to make a strong offer to Tiley or George.

This is most likely.

#2,224      
I'd take a repeat of the Guenther era in a heartbeat.

Look at where the department was in 1992 versus 2011. Forget the in-the-moment quality of the teams, the brand of Illinois Athletics was immeasurably stronger. More fans, more media attention, more pride, more enthusiasm. The scattered success we had during those years just masked the extent to which the roots of the program were rotting out.

#2,225      
Mark Tupper
‏@MarkTupper

The "extra money" report is intriguing, but unfortunately, I'm in fool-me-eight-times-shame-on-me mode at this point. For one thing, Tupper, who I like, nevertheless seems to get all his info from one source that has been hellbent on pushing the Rick-George-in-play angle despite all evidence suggesting otherwise. And second, Tupper pulls back a few follow-up tweets after this one, saying basically "Well, my source says that George and Tiley are nos. 1 & 2 on the university's list of preferred candidates." I'd be happy to leak the info right now that nos. 1 & 2 on my list of preferred second wives are Jessica Alba and Margot Robbie, but honestly, you might want to hold off on getting the wedding present just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.