The Illinois AD Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,501      

Deleted member 3875

D
Attended a hockey game at Harvard recently. Very entertaining evening. Lots of action. Would love to see a UI NCAA team.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 233
#1,506      
Good article - nice to hear some of the opinions from past greats.

I think I'm good passing on Sergio, though. Interesting take from him.

#1,510      

Ryllini

Lombard
Ummm, when you say great response are you joking?

No, I'm not joking. I don't care if he is right or wrong, I just think his answer was great and I can appreciate people who believe in themselves that much in such black and white terms.

#1,511      

MoIlliniMoProblems

St. Louis, MO
Henry Jones comments were interesting. I don't know what would make David Williams qualified for the job, besides success in business. Shawn Wax is a different story. Not sure I've read his name often in terms of possible candidates and I know little of him beyond a quick google search. Maybe an interesting "outside the box" candidate?

#1,512      
Never going to happen. First, hockey is way too expensive. The insurance for players is on par with football, and the equipment is on the high side for sports too.

Second, hockey requires a lot of scholarships, which means an equal number of new scholarships for a women's sport. Penn State needed a $102 million gift to start men's and women's hockey.

Third, despite the success of the Blackhawks, hardly anyone plays hockey in downstate Illinois. A little bit in the Chicago area, but nowhere near enough to compete against the Minnesotas, Wisconsins and Michigans. You'd be fighting the established programs for the few good players in Chicago and then picking up the crumbs in the northern states, hardly a way to build a winner.

Fourth and finally, there simply isn't enough of a fan base. Believe me, I'm a huge hockey fan (NHL Center Ice subscriber), but Champaign has a lousy hockey fandom. Even in Chicago, where the Hawks have won three of the last 5 Cups, their TV ratings are about the same as a Bulls team that hasn't sniffed the finals in 20 years.

I agree it's unlikely given the current state of the AD, but it would be great so I wish they'd do it. If any B1G school is going to add hockey, we probably make the most sense. Your #4 is dead wrong--you'd need to do something to goose attendance (I'd allow beer sales)--but if we're talking a small arena, there is a dedicated core of hockey fans that would come out on a regular basis.

If you were really going to do it, the obvious thing would be to have a women's hockey team matching scholarship for scholarship a la PSU and utilizing the facilities. Also, I'd imagine you'd use the facility for other events, shows, etc.

Anyone know if B1G schools w/hockey teams get a larger B1G Network payout?

#1,513      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I agree it's unlikely given the current state of the AD, but it would be great so I wish they'd do it. If any B1G school is going to add hockey, we probably make the most sense. Your #4 is dead wrong--you'd need to do something to goose attendance (I'd allow beer sales)--but if we're talking a small arena, there is a dedicated core of hockey fans that would come out on a regular basis.

If you were really going to do it, the obvious thing would be to have a women's hockey team matching scholarship for scholarship a la PSU and utilizing the facilities. Also, I'd imagine you'd use the facility for other events, shows, etc.

Anyone know if B1G schools w/hockey teams get a larger B1G Network payout?

Agreed, it would be great. More than enough youth hockey talent in Illinois to field a competitive team. But, as another poster stated, Penn State needed a $102 million gift to start men's and women's hockey. $102M! Not chump change.

#1,514      
The search for the next University of Illinois athletics director trudges on and the finish line could be in sight.

Indications are that a conclusion late in January or early February is possible and some of the media has been told an announcement could come “any day but on a Sunday,” so be prepared.

AD search has strong Illini flavor

#1,515      

217sports

Springfield
Hockey just isn't feasible with the current state of all of our facilities, namely football, baseball, and track and field. That could change if we had a Penn State situation and a single donor ponied up most of the money

#1,516      
I just wish there was an actual time table for this announced. Bailed on the 1/21 original expectation. Now we've been hearing that an AD "may" be hired by "late January or early February".

So we could still be 3 weeks away at this point. And that "early February" is just a general idea... it could be after that!

#1,517      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I just wish there was an actual time table for this announced. Bailed on the 1/21 original expectation. Now we've been hearing that an AD "may" be hired by "late January or early February".

So we could still be 3 weeks away at this point. And that "early February" is just a general idea... it could be after that!

What's the difference? They blew the deadline to enable the new AD to hire a football coach. So, I don't see any worth in an arbitrary timetable, even if it's one the put out. Far more important is getting the "right" guy.

#1,518      
We're about 6 weeks from needing to make a decision on our men's basketball coach, with a distinct possibility of missing that deadline, too.

#1,519      
What's the difference? They blew the deadline to enable the new AD to hire a football coach. So, I don't see any worth in an arbitrary timetable, even if it's one the put out. Far more important is getting the "right" guy.
This was a stronger point back in December. It this stage, they have done all the things that were given as justifications for their methodical pace. The search committee is formed. The search firm has been retained. I have to assume they have their short list. Presumably people have been contacted ... Right? What's left to do but do it. If a decision doesn't drop soon, they can't fall back on the excuses about respecting the process. It will be a sign something is seriously wrong and we're not close on the "right guy."

(Unless there is a very specific reason they can't go forward, for example, because their top choice is tied up right now with a high profile international professional sports tournament. But I have yet to see any confirmation of that.)

#1,520      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This was a stronger point back in December. It this stage, they have done all the things that were given as justifications for their methodical pace. The search committee is formed. The search firm has been retained. I have to assume they have their short list. Presumably people have been contacted ... Right? What's left to do but do it. If a decision doesn't drop soon, they can't fall back on the excuses about respecting the process. It will be a sign something is seriously wrong and we're not close on the "right guy."

(Unless there is a very specific reason they can't go forward, for example, because their top choice is tied up right now with a high profile international professional sports tournament. But I have yet to see any confirmation of that.)

That would be a damn good reason. We're not going to get a confirmation until the news breaks.

#1,521      
I know that Rick George is a big favorite here. But I haven't seen any discussions about the Colorado football program under his watch. In conference 2 wins and 25 loses. Worse than the Illini.

#1,522      
I know that Rick George is a big favorite here. But I haven't seen any discussions about the Colorado football program under his watch. In conference 2 wins and 25 loses. Worse than the Illini.

If I'm not mistaken the current football coach was not hired by RG. He was hired the off season before George took over and this was after the previous guy was only given two years at an already struggling program.

#1,523      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
If I'm not mistaken the current football coach was not hired by RG. He was hired the off season before George took over and this was after the previous guy was only given two years at an already struggling program.

Correct. Dan Hawkins took the program completely into the toilet during his time there. Embree was given two years and somehow managed to go from the toilet to the septic tank. MacIntyre was then hired by George's predecessor. While his record has not been great, he really has done a good job of getting the program back to being competitive in the conference. 2-25 or whatever his conference record is sounds awful but this is a case where you must consider just how bad this program was when he took over. Think Ron Turner's last year only worse. Whether he can get the team to the next level by winning some of the close losses remains to be seen. To the original point, the football story at Colorado has to be considered a positive for Rick George.

#1,524      

Sal Iacuzzo

Yonkers, NY
I disagree with this sentiment. Look at Arizona St, if they can recruit a D1 Roster, Illinois could. Actually, a lot of their talent is from Illinois. Regarding downstate talent, there's a decent amount in Spfld, BloNo and the UC. The St Louis area has a huge boom of hockey talent. It's already producing NHL players.

Being in a hockey rich area 100% doesn't matter. Quinnipiac who are ranked #1 in the country have one in state player on their roster. Their recruiting model seems to be to go after older Canadian players who come in as 20 or 21 year old freshman. The Big Ten is working to reduce the age limit.

http://www.startribune.com/report-b...age-restrictions-in-college-hockey/353198561/

Status
Not open for further replies.