The Illinois Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,501      

UofI08

Chicago
Please clone yourself on this thread somehow.

Thanks! I'm gonna have to frame this :thumb:

I've been on this site since 2008, but rarely ever posted until this basketball season. I have basically 0 inside info, but have followed Illini sports and recruiting since my freshman year there in 04. Some of these comments are just ridiculous and I just try to bring some grounded perspective.

#3,502      

jmilt7

Waukegan
I think too much is made of assistant coaches. I recall all of us getting totally wrapped up in Jerrance Howard and Tracy Webster back in the Weber era, and what came of that? If you have a head coach who can recruit, you don't need to depend on your assistants to do it. If you need to depend on your assistants to get good recruits, you hired the wrong head coach. As for Tillmon, that's a short-term issue.

Doesn't Walker want to coach someday? Maybe Whitman has him coaching so that Walker can peddle that resume to a mid level school. Even if it is pretty limited coaching experience every coach has to start somewhere. And that eliminates Walker from being a competing recruiting assistant. Too Machiavellian, or just too stupid? It was a completely random thought.

#3,504      
If anyone doubts the elite perception of the IU job vs the UI job, all you have to do is watch espn's coverage of Crean's firing and the relative amount of play the two open positions get in the media. It pains me to say it, but it's not even close. Having lived in Indiana for a few years, I can tell you that it is all IU basketball, all the time. They don't care about football, and outside of a few pockets around Lafayette and the Region Purdue is an afterthought.

Having said that, the pressure is immense. The fans are insane, as is the administration. No matter what you do, you will always live in the shadow of Bobby Knight. No sane person would want that job. Crean won a Big 10 title last year and got run out of town for God's sake.

#3,506      
If anyone doubts the elite perception of the IU job vs the UI job, all you have to do is watch espn's coverage of Crean's firing and the relative amount of play the two open positions get in the media. It pains me to say it, but it's not even close. Having lived in Indiana for a few years, I can tell you that it is all IU basketball, all the time. They don't care about football, and outside of a few pockets around Lafayette and the Region Purdue is an afterthought.

Having said that, the pressure is immense. The fans are insane, as is the administration. No matter what you do, you will always live in the shadow of Bobby Knight. No sane person would want that job. Crean won a Big 10 title last year and got run out of town for God's sake.

No one here is saying we have as good of a job as IU (or are they?), but that's only somewhat relevant. IU is a Blue Blood, we obviously aren't. However, we are in that next tier as far as potential, and IU can only hire one guy, right? If we get IU's second choice, we are sittin' pretty!

#3,507      
Mark Tupper‏
@MarkTupper

I've always liked the idea of Josh Whitman looking for someone with an NBA background. Makes sense. So don't rule Dan Majerle out. #dechr

giphy.gif

#3,508      
I find it hard to believe IL made offer and wanted Cuanzo Martin and did not get him.

https://www.landof10.com/illinois/cuonzo-martin-missouri-illinois-coaching-search

I personally don't think he would be the best choice, but if we wanted him, I can't believe we could not have out bid Mizzou. There is risk with him at Mizzou if he took Walker and recruits. But I think it is more important for IL to get the right coach. I would love Bennett, Miller or Marshall but feel they are longshots. Keatts would be a good choice and so would B. Drew.

#3,509      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
That's (thankfully) phrased like the musings of people on here. I don't think Tupp has anything there. #dechr

#3,510      
I thought Keatts team fit the style and intensity that I would be looking for in a new coach. He is obviously a fall back guy at the moment with the likes of Bennett, Archie, and Marshall out there, but I liked his style. Drew is building a solid coaching career, but I'm not sure if he wants out after 1 year. I think we will get an upgrade at head coach, but we may get a guy that loses a couple recruits along the way. We knew this might happen and need to be okay with it.

Also, we could technically block our recruits from going to places that a former U of I coach was going to be at and give them free reign to go anywhere else. I'm not saying that we will do this, but it would cover out !!! on Tilmon to Mizzou... I'd much rather him go to SLU. We will most likely not do this, but didn't something similar happen at Okie State in football when the OC left?

#3,511      

Deleted member 4723

D
It all ends up being the Head Coaches fault, but I blame the assistants there for not communicating the situation to the kid. I blame the Fisher-Davis for forgetting the time and score, his awareness ratings plummeted after today.
Also, Vandy used their last timeout right before the 8 min media timeout.
After being down 15 and hustling, kids are tired. When players are tired, exhausted, or need a breather the majority tend to make mistakes.

You forgot that the coaches should have reminded the team "we are wearing the black uniforms". It all gets a little too ridiculous to pin this on any of the coaches. Plain and simple a "brain fart" by this kid.

#3,512      

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
Even if IU hires Phil Jackson we still need a winning head coach. You can be wildly successful at either place. Can't be scared, this is a big moment for Illinois basketball.

#3,513      

illini55

The Villages, FL
For this board's information on any future recruiting concerns on Prohm, he was the head coach responsible for recruiting current Chicago Bull Cameron Payne when he was at Murray State, so the NBA pedigree is there.

Prohm would be an intriguing hire. I haven't had a chance to watch Iowa State since he took over, but his Racer teams liked to run the floor and had some great athletes. I'd be thrilled if he came to Illinois.

+1

#3,514      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Ha, I think "decimates" is a bit sensational, but if you can't see the direct impact it COULD have on the Illinois search then you have blinders on.

Just hoping Alford fills the spot and UCLA goes after a West Coast guy so we're not too affected. However, the impacts could be more indirect such as the amount of money IU will dish out and how that might change the market for top tier coaches.

ACTUALLY

I'm sure this was not their intention, but in the literal sense it's very accurate - decimate means "reduce by a tenth" which strikes me as pretty close to exactly what Indiana can do (take one of our top 10 targets, leaving us with 9).

/pedantry

#3,517      
I feel like at least 60% of IU bball fans are also ND football fans. They all seemed to be spoiled from the past.They believe every top coach at every level should be interested in their job. That being said, I have always followed Illini basketball and will until the day I die. It is my favorite of all of my sports teams. It's been tough lately being a Blackhawks, Spurs, Oregon football, Colts and even lately a Cubs fan. I'm desperate for better times at our program. I feel like a lot of people feel this same sort of desperate. I believe this is why we are seeking a Marshall, Miller, or Bennett. We are scared to throw away the next 4-6 years and be even farther from our goals if we take a chance on someone. That being said, I would be excited for Keatts and even Drew. It may just take longer. Either way, like Whitman said "We will win." Go Illini!

#3,518      
Lol people. Before the game today "Bryce Drew would be a home run" now because of one game they came back in and their player made a dumb mistake "GOD PLEASE NO". Vandy was nothing talented or special yet he got them there. Please tell me I'm not alone that this would be a very good hire.

I got your back - He would be a good hire. Someone please point to something that says he's not. NBA experience (as a player), overachieving with a less talented squad, recruiting well (for where he's at), comes from a basketball family who has been successful / influential. Would be solid - maybe not my first choice but I would not complain.

#3,519      
I feel like at least 60% of IU bball fans are also ND football fans.

Purdue fans love making fun of IU fans for this. I don't have the link, but there is this link out there that they like to show that features an IU basketball/ND football reversible jacket.

#3,520      

sacraig

The desert
Ha, I think "decimates" is a bit sensational, but if you can't see the direct impact it COULD have on the Illinois search then you have blinders on.

Just hoping Alford fills the spot and UCLA goes after a West Coast guy so we're not too affected. However, the impacts could be more indirect such as the amount of money IU will dish out and how that might change the market for top tier coaches.

I had a conversation with a UCLA fan yesterday who assured me that he, too, hopes Alford leaves for Indiana.

#3,521      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
In my mind I hear these conversations from JW to potential coaches going something like this.
JW- Tony Bennett we would love to have you at Illinois
TB- I appreciate it, but I think im going to stay at Virginia, but do you mind if I leak this info to get a raise here at VA?
JW- Go ahead, but make sure you put out a really big number, so it catches the eye of some of the other guys on the list.
TB- Will do. 25 mil sound about right?

#3,522      

EJ33

San Francisco
I don't think Marshall is a fit here, nor do I think there's any chance we get him. But, for the believers, this impacts the narrative that he's frustrated by his NCAA seeding.

Disrespected again by selection committee, Wichita State seems destined for bigger league

Conversations with sources around college sports this week revealed Wichita upgrading its league—likely to the American Athletic Conference—as a distinct possibility in the near future. This could happen in as soon as the next few months or may take a year or two. But the odds are increasing that the Shockers will end up somewhere else, with the AAC offering the highest profile and making the most sense. “It wouldn’t be a genuine response if I said we weren’t concerned,” Elgin said. “We want them to stay. Losing Creighton was a blow to the league. Losing Wichita State would be the same.”

#3,524      
I had a conversation with a UCLA fan yesterday who assured me that he, too, hopes Alford leaves for Indiana.

I think his hopes will be dashed. I don't think Indiana will want Alford.

His coaching record is decent but not awe inspiring. Plus there's that whole Pierre Pierce thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.