The Illinois Coaching Staff Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
0440 Avatar Watch! We have activity in the South Sector!!

giphy.gif
That's me in Phoenix the last few nights, trying to find the person shooting illegal fireworks over my house. 😂

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Bet against the insider suggestion on this board, always.

Also apparently Florida is trying to get Robinson as co-DC/Secondary coach. We can *probably* outbid them, and would definitely give him the full DC title and job, but is leaving the SEC for Illinois as a DC better for his career path than being at Mullen's Florida and being the lead recruiter on some of the top-top players in the country? That's a tricky decision.

Robinson could run the worst defenses that have ever been seen out there for two years here and he will still be welcome on any staff in the SEC, so he has that in the bank. The upside is that if a solid gold Florida recruiting ace suddenly is also a lynchpin of a winning Big Ten rebuild, he's a red-hot HC candidate for Sun Belt, CUSA, AAC type jobs. Or if we're Matt Campbell Iowa State good, maybe even higher than that. That's not gonna happen as a not real coordinator at Florida, at least not immediately.

If Todd Grantham gets fired there (and he's hanging by a thread for some reason) is Robinson the next DC? Or is he out on the street again?

Last edited:
Like when some of us knew Bielema was almost certainly going to be hired and were accused of trolling? Lol. Sometimes people know things and sometimes they don’t. Sometimes they change. Glad you are on record saying T Rob would be a home run. :)

really hope it’s him. Pretty sure it’s not Ash.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Thank you. Made my afternoon...now if only the Bears can pull one off!

Just think about the core and lower body strength Wile E. has that enables him to lean over the cliff like that without falling!?

Not that falling would hurt him at all, but still.

Just keep Chuck Pagano away.
Wrong takeaway. When the best move your team makes all season is removing your play calling responsibilities, you might not be the best coach in the room. Hey, at least we're 500 and in the playoffs. I'm now looking forward to a BIG announcement this week and seeing what this staff looks like.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Tank Wright Named Director of Football Strength and Conditioning

Wow, that's really interesting, he went from the strength staff to the coaching staff proper, never heard of someone doing that before.

Ben Herbert was probably always a pipe dream if Harbaugh wasn't fired, so we've gotten his #2, who was also with Bielema at Arkansas. Thumbs up from me, though one does wonder what made him give up on the proper staff side of the business after 1 year? A nice offer, I'm sure.

And shoot, hard to fault hiring a strength coach named Tank Wright.

Wow, that's really interesting, he went from the strength staff to the coaching staff proper, never heard of someone doing that before.

Ben Herbert was probably always a pipe dream if Harbaugh wasn't fired, so we've gotten his #2, who was also with Bielema at Arkansas. Thumbs up from me, though one does wonder what made him give up on the proper staff side of the business after 1 year? A nice offer, I'm sure.

And shoot, hard to fault hiring a strength coach named Tank Wright.
On name alone, i love the hire.

FT35

Naperville
Tank Wright Named Director of Football Strength and Conditioning

He went from DL Coach at Army to Director of Football Strength and Conditioning here? That's essentially a demotion for him. Great hire on the surface for the name alone.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
From everything Google can tell me, this is a guy who had a really good reputation in the strength world, and was trying to use that to parlay into an on-field role. There was some thought it would be at Michigan, but that didn't end up happening, so he took the DL coach gig at Army, and now he's leaving there after one year to go back into strength coaching.

He and Bielema were together for the entire time at Arkansas (Wright had graduated as a player the previous season), so he'll know exactly what he's jumping to in terms of the role S&C plays in the program.

Would be interested to hear what he wants from his career. Is he trying to move to defense or is his own S&C what program what he truly wants?

He went from DL Coach at Army to Director of Football Strength and Conditioning here? That's essentially a demotion for him. Great hire on the surface for the name alone.
I'm guessing he realized he wasn't going to move up from DL coach at Army. Academy lineman aren't going to build your rep and I feel like Monken's staff is solid, but set and he wanted to get back to the B1G where he eventually could parlay a staff move to a position coach if Someone moves on at UIUC.

#1,000      
I'm guessing he realized he wasn't going to move up from DL coach at Army. Academy lineman aren't going to build your rep and I feel like Monken's staff is solid, but set and he wanted to get back to the B1G where he eventually could parlay a staff move to a position coach if Someone moves on at UIUC.
And what I’m guessing is a pretty nice raise probably had something to do with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.