Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcrow View Post
Commentator?
Corporate motivator. Game show host.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:13 PM   #3827
helppitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
Had a few pieces of second-hand information fall into my lap this morning. Just take it fwiw, probably not worth reading into too much.

- Cuonzo Martin is pushing hard for Mark Smith. Smith to cut list of schools very soon.
- If Whitman doesn't announce the new HC Monday or Tuesday, that means that option #1 (no, I don't know who it is) fell through and we're on to the next 3-ish options. Timing is of the essence for recruiting reasons.
Or, his no. 1 choice is still coaching in the NCAA tournament.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:14 PM   #3828
Illini Fan in Louisville
This is totally off topic but since every other post is as well, thought I'd just throw this out here. I was watching the 30 for 30 "Playing for the Mob" episode about BC's point shaving scandal the other night and afterwards just had to take a shower. Not because of the greasy mobsters in that show but because of the multiple Bruce Pearl comments in that episode. That slimy POS that just makes my skin crawl.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:17 PM   #3829
GBPillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Oh my. What a ridiculous article. Northwestern makes the tournament once as an 8 seed, with a coach coming from outside the program, but somehow that shows that they have an amazing network of assistants and past assistants ready to be head coaches? What??

It's amazing Northwestern has found a way to be so terrible when half the media hype's them up when that have mediocre success.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:19 PM   #3830
UofI08
Quote:
Wow. Why waste a column on something he could've written in a 1 sentence twitter post. "I'm an annoying little purple cat and hate Illinois."
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:20 PM   #3831
KBLEE
A Legend in My Own Mind
Quote:
Don't give Purplestein the clicks.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:21 PM   #3832
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPillini View Post
Oh my. What a ridiculous article. Northwestern makes the tournament once as an 8 seed, with a coach coming from outside the program, but somehow that shows that they have an amazing network of assistants and past assistants ready to be head coaches? What??

It's amazing Northwestern has found a way to be so terrible when half the media hype's them up when that have mediocre success.
Medill people are ridiculous in general, but Teddy is one of a kind.

It's a collision of two totally inexplicable things, a professional "journalist" who is emotionally attached to a sports team in the way an 11-year-old is, plus being totally obsessed with the no-one cares sports rivalry between Illinois and Northwestern.

It defies description.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:21 PM   #3833
VictoryIllinois
Quote:
Indeed. But Marshall's agent is in Atlanta...
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:30 PM   #3834
Fighter of the Nightman
LOL, I guarantee you Teddy has taken three or more punches to the face at parties and walked away thinking there's nothing wrong with his persona. Such a tool.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:34 PM   #3835
StateFarmCenter
I say we only offer the next coach 250k per year so we don't look desperate.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:37 PM   #3836
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardKeenesHair View Post
Greenstein is a clown. His undying love of all things Northwestern and hatred of the illini is just comical at this point. As I reminded him on Twitter: congrats on being the 5th to last team in all of DI to finally make the tourney
Being a Northwestern fan is fine. Being a not-remotely-undercover media shill that churns out bizarre hit pieces against a perceived rival when neither fan base (his purported readership, mind you) really gives a damn is just so strange.

Like, who is his editor? Why is the Tribune paying for this?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:38 PM   #3837
BigJIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardKeenesHair View Post
Greenstein is a clown. His undying love of all things Northwestern and hatred of the illini is just comical at this point.
Yep, it is so damn obvious.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:39 PM   #3838
Illinoy
Banned
Quote:
Medill people are ridiculous in general, but Teddy is one of a kind.

It's a collision of two totally inexplicable things, a professional "journalist" who is emotionally attached to a sports team in the way an 11-year-old is, plus being totally obsessed with the no-one cares sports rivalry between Illinois and Northwestern.

It defies description.
LOL He very much screams "I was on the sports teams, but never played so I always aspired to write about them." I could listen to my grandfather and get wiser sports news on today's times. He's deceased btw.

Medill took a step back with that piece. I know it's a column but even those need to be based on facts. Then the speculation about Lovie not working out was baseless.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:42 PM   #3839
Roundball Shaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
Yep
I would never ever have guessed that Lovie to Illinois would have actually been possible. It happened.
This is the main point. To realize and actualize what is possible. The Illini can get an elite coach and become a full member of the Blue Bloods IF THEY WANT TO. Right now is the time they are making that decision.

Not to go all Shaman on you, but to quote Wayne Dyer (the motivational speaker, not a point guard): "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at CHANGE".

I've seen this happen too many times to ever doubt this for a second.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:45 PM   #3840
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Man, that is next level. Even for him.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:45 PM   #3841
SalukiIllini
I wonder what on earth he's seen in Lovie's first year that makes him think "it won't work"?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:51 PM   #3842
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiIllini View Post
I wonder what on earth he's seen in Lovie's first year that makes him think "it won't work"?
That's the wrong question. The question is what that throwaway line is doing in a column ostensibly about Illinois' basketball search.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:52 PM   #3843
GoIllini40
Banned
Quote:
Christ, Teddy is the worst
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:56 PM   #3844
GBPillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIllini40 View Post
Christ, Teddy is the worst
Yes, yes he is.
Quote:
Chicago papers' negative spins on Illinois coach search are comedic click bait. Whitman hasn't whiffed. Give it time. Let process play out.
https://twitter.com/YahooNoise/statu...40003717881856
Old Mar 17, 2017, 02:59 PM   #3845
Ethel
Banned
Of all the names being floated about in the Illinois coaching search, Tim Jankovich's is the most confounding.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 03:01 PM   #3846
spillini
I may have injured my eyes rolling them at the greenstein article. What trash. Having $ to work with doesn't mean you're just giving it away to any coach.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 03:01 PM   #3847
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethel View Post
Of all the names being floated about in the Illinois coaching search, Tim Jankovich's is the most confounding.
I'm sweating bullets watching this SMU game
Old Mar 17, 2017, 03:01 PM   #3848
SalukiIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethel View Post

I agree. He's trash.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 03:02 PM   #3849
Illinifanforlife
Jankovich will not be our next coach.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 03:04 PM   #3850
GBPillini
Quote:
NC State has agreed to deal with UNC Wilmington coach Kevin Keatts, sources told ESPN. http://es.pn/2mBpbZc
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/stat...43849168830464
Closed Thread