Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:05 AM   #1326
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB1979 View Post
While I agree with the sentiment that Bruce Weber COMPLETELY failed to capitalize on the 2005 championship run, i think you are looking more at results than rankings here. I don't remember what any of these kids ranked - but I do think Brian Carlwell was a high level recruit, at least, if my memory serves me correctly. Jamar Smith, maybe i have bias having seen him in high school - i don't know what his ranking was exactly - but he was a good player. I would have liked to see these two progress without making bad decisions off the court.

Yes, Brian Carlwell was top-50, and I believe he had an offer from Michigan State. Though they were also going after Tom Herzog who was their top big option.

Jamar was a 3-star kid outside of the top-100. Chester was a 3-star with offers from Binghamton, College of Charleston, and a few others. I believe Charles Jackson had offers from Auburn and UGA, but mostly because they wanted him to play football as well.

And yes, Jamar would have been a very good 4-year player for us. It's a shame what happened with him.

Nonetheless that 2005-2006 combo was an unmitigated disaster. Perhaps the single worst recruiting performance I've seen when you consider how high Illinois was as a program when those classes were recruited. 2007 rebounded slightly when you consider McCamey, Tisdale, Mike Davis, etc., but even that was a disappointment considering who we were targeting -- IDKWTI, Evan Turner, Moore, etc. Not even going to mention Rose, because that was never going to happen.

Follow that up with the 2008 0-fer (missing Shumpert, Liggins, Darius Miller, Michael Dunigan, Matt Humphrey, etc.), and that 4-year stretch should go in the dictionary under "recruiting disaster".

Last edited by Verified Insider; Oct 9, 2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:06 AM   #1327
EfremWinters84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo222 View Post
We didn't notice that the lights had changed......
Woke up. Fell out of bed. And started reading IL.

Agree with Finn, Ayo, THT, and a late Big. If Nolley comes knocking, we then listen. (Ryan Evan's info has been accurate the past month or two.)
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:07 AM   #1328
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Find it interesting that some are ready to jump ship on Nolley. Without knowing anything behind the scenes, I'm willing to give a 17 year old the benefit of the doubt and guess that he probably enjoyed his UGA visit and committed too quickly. Guessing VT is the likely destination, but I wouldn't rule us out. I don't think the whole staff would have made the trip last week if they didn't think they had a real solid chance.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:09 AM   #1329
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB1979 View Post
While I agree with the sentiment that Bruce Weber COMPLETELY failed to capitalize on the 2005 championship run, i think you are looking more at results than rankings here. I don't remember what any of these kids ranked - but I do think Brian Carlwell was a high level recruit, at least, if my memory serves me correctly. Jamar Smith, maybe i have bias having seen him in high school - i don't know what his ranking was exactly - but he was a good player. I would have liked to see these two progress without making bad decisions off the court.
Carlwell was a stiff at Proviso East. He was pretty highly ranked (~70, IIRC), because he was 6' 11" and had a good frame. I definitely don't fault Weber for recruiting him, but the idea that he was a "high level recruit," other than an inflated ranking, is revisionist history.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:15 AM   #1330
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
For all those saying Ayo is the program changing recruit, I just want to remind you all the times we said that under Groce. DJax, Cliff, Brunson, Snider, Evans, Thomas, am I missing anyone else?

If we miss on Ayo there will still be plenty more "program changers" out there. If Groce gets just one of those guys, he might still be here.

Any class with Ayo is a success, IMO.

He would be the most talented kid on our roster from day 1, and would probably start right away. Heck, he'd probably be the most talented recruit since Richmond (at a minimum).

Program changing? Eh, I don't know. With or without him, our backcourt is in very good hands going forward. For once, we're loaded at PG/combo guard, so he doesn't really fill a position of dire need the way Jawun Evans or Brunson would have done a few years back.

However, Ayo helps us for a few additional reasons: (1) one would think he'd help us with Adam Miller and other elite recruits in future classes, (2) he immediately gives the staff that top-tier Chicago victory which we've lacked for years, and (3) he probably helps us attract a quality player or two in the 2018 class.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:17 AM   #1331
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
Any class with Ayo is a success, IMO.

He would be the most talented kid on our roster from day 1, and would probably start right away. Heck, he'd probably be the most talented recruit since Richmond (at a minimum).

Program changing? Eh, I don't know. With or without him, our backcourt is in very good hands going forward. For once, we're loaded at PG/combo guard, so he doesn't really fill a position of dire need the way Jawun Evans or Brunson would have done a few years back.

However, Ayo helps us for a few additional reasons: (1) one would think he'd help us with Adam Miller and other elite recruits in future classes, (2) he immediately gives the staff that top-tier Chicago victory which we've lacked for years, and (3) he probably helps us attract a quality player or two in the 2018 class.
+1 to all your points.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:22 AM   #1332
miketherevelator
Bossi article includes latest on Ayo and Nolley, among others.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....down-to-a-pair
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:27 AM   #1333
Calvin
Quote:
Yes, Brian Carlwell was top-50, and I believe he had an offer from Michigan State. Though they were also going after Tom Herzog who was their top big option.

Jamar was a 3-star kid outside of the top-100. Chester was a 3-star with offers from Binghamton, College of Charleston, and a few others. I believe Charles Jackson had offers from Auburn and UGA, but mostly because they wanted him to play football as well.

And yes, Jamar would have been a very good 4-year player for us. It's a shame what happened with him.

Nonetheless that 2005-2006 combo was an unmitigated disaster. Perhaps the single worst recruiting performance I've seen when you consider how high Illinois was as a program when those classes were recruited. 2007 rebounded slightly when you consider McCamey, Tisdale, Mike Davis, etc., but even that was a disappointment considering who we were targeting -- IDKWTI, Evan Turner, Moore, etc. Not even going to mention Rose, because that was never going to happen.

Follow that up with the 2008 0-fer (missing Shumpert, Liggins, Darius Miller, Michael Dunigan, Matt Humphrey, etc.), and that 4-year stretch should go in the dictionary under "recruiting disaster".
Agree with most of this, but would add that Jamar was a steal. He was an impact freshman, shot over 48% from 3, and was on the All-BIG freshman team. His high ankle sprain and subsequent drinking ruined his career here, but he definitely showed he was a player. Definitely better than a 3 star IMHO.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:30 AM   #1334
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
Find it interesting that some are ready to jump ship on Nolley. Without knowing anything behind the scenes, I'm willing to give a 17 year old the benefit of the doubt and guess that he probably enjoyed his UGA visit and committed too quickly. Guessing VT is the likely destination, but I wouldn't rule us out. I don't think the whole staff would have made the trip last week if they didn't think they had a real solid chance.
Just curious why you wouldn't rule us out? Seems like everything was pointing to VT. Is it the rumored Ayo connection?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:36 AM   #1335
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
2005 was an epic recruiting failure. Absolutely epic. When you combine with the 2006 class and consider that those classes came in the midst of our 2005 run, it's incredible to see that we winded up with 2 classes consisting of Jamar Smith, Chester Frazier, Charles Jackson, Richard Semrau, and Brian Carlwell.
I would go even further and make the argument that it was an unprecedented failure. Can you think of another instance where a team:

-was borderline wire-to-wire #1
-was pretty much the biggest story in CBB for the entire season
-tapped into a borderline insane, nationally distributed fanbase
-owned two significant media markets (Chicago and STL) for about 5 months

And come out of it with n o t h i n g to show for it in recruiting? I'm not talking about Georgia Tech making a surprising-ish run to a title game here. This was a generational opportunity served up on a platter, and not only did we not take advantage, we dropped the platter on our foot, broke everything, and gave ourselves a decade-long nagging injury.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:59 AM   #1336
Kajagoogoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT View Post
It seems that Nolley's parents prefer VT but he likes Georgia himself. Why not each side takes a step back and settles on Illinois
He should go where HE wants to go. Novel concept.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:01 AM   #1337
Bubba Eder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Beer 4 All View Post
None of it makes sense. Are you suggesting he didn't discuss his commitment with his parents before he made it? That seems equally implausible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Agree 1,000,000
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:02 AM   #1338
Illini Beer 4 All
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT View Post
It seems that Nolley's parents prefer VT but he likes Georgia himself. Why not each side takes a step back and settles on Illinois
If you believe the rumors about the recruitment of Caleb Swanigan, Swanigan wanted to go to Cal, his family wanted MSU and he ended up at Purdue.

Stranger things have happened.

Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:27 AM   #1339
illinitiger
Quote:
If you believe the rumors about the recruitment of Caleb Swanigan, Swanigan wanted to go to Cal, his family wanted MSU and he ended up at Purdue.

Roosevelt Barnes swayed Swanigan to purdue I believe.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:33 AM   #1340
miketherevelator
Quote:

I realize this is off-topic, but in the spirit of 'the more you know', Caleb's family was not involved -- think his father died when he was young and Caleb was homeless at one time growing up. But his guardian, Roosevelt Barnes, ex-Boiler bb and fb player, and our good friend Cuonzo, were involved along the way in Caleb's recruitment.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...mmit/26984829/
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:34 AM   #1341
Illini Beer 4 All
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post
Roosevelt Barnes swayed Swanigan to purdue I believe.

I'm sure he did, but that didn't change the fact that he committed to MSU first and there was a lot of rumor he was joining Brown and Raab at Cal.

Like I said, if you believe the rumors that I listed, that's how it went down.

With Nolley it could be something like, he had Georgia 1, Illinois 2. His parents have vt 1, Illinois 2. When they talk they come to an agreement that they can all be happy with Illinois as the choice.

But since we're Illinois and we lose basically every major recruitment, he probably ends up at VT.

Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:41 AM   #1342
Kajagoogoo
Quote:
I'm sure he did, but that didn't change the fact that he committed to MSU first and there was a lot of rumor he was joining Brown and Raab at Cal.

Like I said, if you believe the rumors that I listed, that's how it went down.

With Nolley it could be something like, he had Georgia 1, Illinois 2. His parents have vt 1, Illinois 2. When they talk they come to an agreement that they can all be happy with Illinois as the choice.

But since we're Illinois and we lose basically every major recruitment, he probably ends up at VT.

Now you're talking some sense.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:57 AM   #1343
UCantHideYer
We have spoken of Ayo possibly influencing Nolley's de-committment, but maybe Nolley might still have some positive influence over Ayo. If Ayo wants Nolley more than the Finn, staff should go back to showing the love. If they do, maybe enough to tip Ayo our way. Hopefully Ayo's decision doesn't hang on such trivia, but drama seems to abound. I'd like to say run with the Finn, but Ayo is too important to not get his say.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:03 AM   #1344
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHideYer View Post
We have spoken of Ayo possibly influencing Nolley's de-committment, but maybe Nolley might still have some positive influence over Ayo. If Ayo wants Nolley more than the Finn, staff should go back to showing the love. If they do, maybe enough to tip Ayo our way. Hopefully Ayo's decision doesn't hang on such trivia, but drama seems to abound. I'd like to say run with the Finn, but Ayo is too important to not get his say.
Nolley is great and if there is a package deal...fine. I hope staff stays focuses on their targets, including Fins visiting this week.

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:05 AM   #1345
Captain Bubbles
This is a key, critical stretch for recruiting. Let's go!

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:06 AM   #1346
miketherevelator
These are from summer of '16 but I'd say Valtonen could end up being the best outcome for us at wing if we were to land him.

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...ds-at-fiba-u17

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...ge-of-fiba-u17
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:18 AM   #1347
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
These are from summer of '16 but I'd say Valtonen could end up being the best outcome for us at wing if we were to land him.

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...ds-at-fiba-u17

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...ge-of-fiba-u17
I watched the game VS China and I was impressed, I am guessing those games were before he hurt his Knee, as he looked to jump better then in the new clips.

After what I have watched, if this kid wants to commit you take him in a heart beat, no matter what it does to the chances of getting Nolley or even AYO( no clue why it would effect Ayo since the players Ayo will be going against for playing time are already here) but you have to get players who want to be here 1st and foremost, BU isnt going to be everyones buddy and tell them what they want to hear. He is going to be their coach and tell them what he needs them to do to get better as a player and a team
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:20 AM   #1348
americanoutlaw11
Are Nolley and Ayo tight? Where is all this talk coming from about how one may influences the other? Because they sent a couple tweets?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:28 AM   #1349
TheGMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteGoesWeGo View Post
+helps with the recruitment of Liddel and Okoro if we have as many elite guards as possible. A backcourt of sophomore Smith, Junior Tejon and Ayo would probably end up one of the best in the big ten if not the country if Smith and Tejon pan out to be as good as we hope.
And Trent and DaMonte...

Most likely not all of these guys are gonna work out, but I like that we have a lot of potential. Increases the odds that at least one works out. Hopefully more!!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:29 AM   #1350
ILLINIShox24
Orange Krush '04 & '05
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHideYer View Post
If Ayo wanted to be at Illinois with either one of them, he could have committed a long time ago and helped recruit.

Ayo is taking his time and that's fine, but he passed on any opportunity to influence his potential teammates here. The implication that he has that power given his current status is a bit much.
Closed Thread