Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:09 PM   #2226
Hummus
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCC View Post
There is no way Okoro isn’t starting day 1 if he comes here. He may not be ready for the role, but there is literally no one else in our frontcourt who is ready either. Right now this is my best guess on the lineup next year:

PG: Frazier-Feliz
SG: Dosunmu-Williams
SF: Jordan-Jones-Griffin
PF: Nichols-Kane-Vesel
C: Okoro-Ebo-Bez

If Okoro commits it will be interesting to see how Underwood handles the frontcourt.
In terms of the best recruiting class ever, even if by an act of God we were able to land both a reclassified Okoro and Ramey, it still would not be the best recruiting class ever. It would be a fantastic class, a special class made more so because we rang in 2018 with Ayo as our lone commit. Best, no. Amazing and special, very. But again, until it happens, I will be waiting patiently.

As far as Golden, his mother, and CB predictions / movement, all of that is natural. Of course it is a given that a proper mother would thank Syracuse for hosting her and her son. And it goes without saying that the CB pundits will hedge their predictions after the kid takes his first official visit since decommitting from Pitt. Yes, we are "warm" with Syracuse heating up to "warmer", but he did not come out of there with a definite commit. Maybe he is waiting to hold a signing presser, but why wouldn't he use another official visit or two to personally check out at least the schools in his final four, even if it is purely perfunctory? If he decides to take an official to Champaign, what will 247 and its contributors do then? They were 100% or darn close with THT until noon of the day that he signed. So, like Okoro's reclassification, his ACT results, and his supposed lock to commit to Illinois if all checks out, I will wait patiently to see what Golden ends up doing. I will hope that he is sensible and schedules an official at Illinois, but at this point, we can only hope.

We have done well on the recruiting trail this Spring and have put together a solid team. Okoro, who I do not think is a one-and-done like some have said, will a start at the 4 if he commits to the Illini. And IlliniCC, I do not think that Jordan will be our starting 3. It may be his job to lose, but I have a feeling that Tevian is going to come in and turn a lot of heads, ultimately winning the starting job from Jordan.

I am curious where Griffin ends up on the depth chart. As I said in a post on the Mark Smith thread, Griffin should finish Top-150, if not somewhere closer to 120 with a 4* rating. That notwithstanding, even as a Freshman, he is likely the best pure shooter that we have. He is going to have to earn his minutes, but like Jones, I feel that there are going to be a few disappointed upperclassmen whose minutes are cut because both Jones and Griffin will earn plenty of playing time given their overall skill sets, athleticism, and BU's favourite quality, well-developed, high "basketball IQs".

Last edited by Dan; Apr 16, 2018 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Hummus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:15 PM   #2227
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
A regional site rivals is partnered did that. Rivals themselves do not have Griffen even being close to the number 1 player in New York.
Correct. The ranking was about the top high school player, not the top prospect.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:18 PM   #2228
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Ayo is going to be huge for the top Chicago recruits in the coming years. I have this irrational fear that Trent will be so good that we have to keep the ball in his hands, and Ayo will struggle with shooting and foul trouble and fail to have the immediate star impact he was expecting. He gets discouraged and transfers, MIF blames BU, and that leaves us with back to back Mr. Basketballs transferring out.

Or Ayo could come in and tear it up, be a 1 or 2 and done, and UI becomes the place to be for Chicago recruits. Specifically MIF recruits. Am I over-exaggerating Ayo's potential impact?

Regardless, Miller is on another level from Okoro/Liddell/Whitney IMO. He has a chance to be a top 10 player and potentially the #1 PG in the class.
we're getting Liddell?

Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:31 PM   #2229
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
A regional site rivals is partnered did that. Rivals themselves do not have Griffen even being close to the number 1 player in New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Correct. The ranking was about the top high school player, not the top prospect.
Look, I am not about to argue about who is or isn't the best prospect as I am not an expert in this and haven't seen them play, and whatnot. However, the site that has Griffin as top senior and above Brown is https://nychoops.rivals.com/, which certainly seems like it is Rivals to me, at least on some level. Check the bottom left.

Again, I am not a talent evaluator, have not seen either play, and generally have no clue who is better, but it isn't like it was just some random Tumblr page who had him ranked number 1 in the state.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:33 PM   #2230
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post
Typical, he just had a visit there this weekend.
Not typical at all, but ok
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:45 PM   #2231
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummus View Post
If it is his first official visit since decommitting from Pitt, why would it not be typical for the pundits to hedge their respective bets on him committing to Syracuse? I am sure that some of them talked to him at some point, whether it was during his visit, on his way home, or after he got home, but I find it highly unlikely that he is going to tell them that he made his decision at some point this weekend.

But you never know. Maybe he called his AD to let him know that he is going to be committing, to get the gym ready for a presser, and Golden, himself, let it leak to an insider. I really do not know, but given the fluidity of these things, it is like watching a wave go back and forth. Should he schedule another official, things will die down a bit and it is likely that some of the pundits may change their CB picks; it is doubtful, though, that they would change it until noon of the day that he signs so that they look good if they hedged correctly or get the change in so that their respective accuracy ratings are not negatively affected.
We've been over this many times, particularly when it pertains to crystal balls, and the bottom line is this: everyone here is an expert and anyone who disagrees clearly is naive.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 05:49 PM   #2232
SescIllini
Quick Points

Think Trent is good with and without the ball, similiar to Dee. Ayo has also shown to be a combo guard who excels in transition. Once again good with and without ball.

Those that can defend, rebound, and handle the ball will be our 1-2-3 starters.

I see Ebo getting his share of minutes. See the best rebounder, defender, rim runner get the minutes at 5. We will need a big that can pass, pick, and shoot. Only see Kipper who can fill that role, and he is really a 3. Possibly in the future Georgi and Matic can be that type of big.
SescIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 06:11 PM   #2233
Whitmans Sampler
Okoro in-home visit with Oregon this Wednesday, according to Scott Burgess.

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/sta...68490743906305

Last edited by Dan; Apr 15, 2018 at 06:19 PM.
Whitmans Sampler is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 06:21 PM   #2234
Dan
Admin
Francis Okoro @chibestfrank88 will take official visit to #Purdue Boilermakers on April 25

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/sta...71422218563584
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 06:27 PM   #2235
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Assuming that he does not transfer, how long are you giving Matic before he becomes "that type of big"? I do not see it happening, but you seem to be much more optimistic than I am.
This chatter about Matic transfer is more about his past performance last year, which we all know was about 0. My thoughts are he might get the chance, but when he was recruited, staff brought his mom with, and her feelings was he was to get a great education, not sure she was worried about basketball. For him to leave, I think he would have to want to. His minutes couldn't get much less, so he would be hard to cut what isn't there.

His aggressiveness seems to be the one thing he needed to overcome. Will he, hard to say, but I don't think he can be creaned. Him being on roster is something that seems to be a given. Hope the staff will get the most out of him. Seems to me till he changes his mind, we have 1 schollie to give out. Time will show who will be the choice or option we have!
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 06:27 PM   #2236
illini80
Well so much for the Okoro is a lock talk.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 06:36 PM   #2237
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
Well so much for the Okoro is a lock talk.
He is ours to lose, Forget Ramey, hope we can get Golden to visit.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 06:39 PM   #2238
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap73 View Post
Ayo 5 star, Okoro 5 star , Jones 4 star, Ramey 4 star, Kane 3 star, Griffin 4 star , what class could compare to that before any of them ever played
Griffin is closer to a 2 star recruit than a 4 star recruit. Okoro is not a 5 star recruit, especially if he reclassifies.
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 07:15 PM   #2239
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
The Ramey ship sailed when we signed Feliz.
Until we have 13 in this recruiting class, anything is possible. Please do not disagree, that would be clearly naive.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 07:21 PM   #2240
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Griffin is closer to a 2 star recruit than a 4 star recruit. Okoro is not a 5 star recruit, especially if he reclassifies.
Don't "most" P6, D1 signees get at least that third star?

We've seen his ranking anywhere from #1 in NY to #9. Don't you think the #9 ranked prospect in a talent rich state like NY is worth at least 3*??

Old Apr 15, 2018, 07:24 PM   #2241
IlliniJim20
Quote:
In my lifetime I can name at least 1.

'86-'87: was a stellar class, with Kenny Battle as a RS Jr, Nick Anderson RS Fr (IL Mr. Basketball 1985), Stephen Bardo, Kendall Gill, and Larry Smith.

'02-'03: Illinois had 4 players all of whom were in the Top-100. Dee was a 5*; Deron was a 4*; and Augie and Spears were both 3*. Of the top four players in this class, they grade out the same from a stars perspective, but they are not all concentrated in the top 100.

(the above team was the team that was playing when I was at the U of I)

In terms of a better class, even with the proposed additions, I would say that '86-'87 class, not looking at the NBA draft picks that it produced, just the talent alone, with the bulk coming from Chicago, is the best recruiting class that Illinois has produced; they would be my first choice, even though I do not have the * rating system to back me up.

Not a knock against Self's class, as it was so much fun to watch, but if we were to somehow get both Okoro and Ramey, and was going off of what I have seen of what would be the top four players of this class in Ayo, Okoro, Ramey, and Jones, I would take those four and the rest the class, including Griffin, Feliz, Kane, and Bezhanishvili over what would become the Flyin' Illini II.
Based on rankings coming in, Battle was not a UI recruit, and Gill was not highly ranked. I don't recall where Bardo was ranked.

Old Apr 15, 2018, 07:25 PM   #2242
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
How do you figure that Griffin is closer to a 2* recruit? I am curious as to you came to that conclusion. Also, how much of his game film have you watched?
Well 247 has him ranked #321. That's only about 100 spots from being a 2 star recruit (as an aside 400+ 3 star recruits seem like a lot). 4 stars cut off at about the top 130ish. So yes he's closer to being a 2 star recruit than a 4 star recruit.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 07:39 PM   #2243
illinitiger
Quote:
NY has a history of producing top players as 2 stars. That's just the lack of competition they have there I guess...that's how NY rolls.
illinitiger is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 07:44 PM   #2244
Ga65
Quote:
There is no way Okoro isnít starting day 1 if he comes here. He may not be ready for the role, but there is literally no one else in our frontcourt who is ready either. Right now this is my best guess on the lineup next year:

If Okoro commits it will be interesting to see how Underwood handles the frontcourt.
Do not agree with PF and C

PF: Nichols-Bez-Vesel
C: Ebo-Kane-Okoro

See Okoro long term as PF as Kane will be C. Just guessing Ebo will be more ready than the rest but foul problems will probably assure at least four of the above have ample playing time. Liddel could change the equation should we get him. Also see the increase in size of a Jones aiding Kipper at the four. Would guess there will be plenty of practice experiments with different combos.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 07:52 PM   #2245
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
As of now. I am sure they had Smith as the same. I do not know how he flew under the radar, but being the rated as the number 1 senior in NY, garnering the accolades that he did, and putting up the numbers that he did against elite competition, tells me that 247 missed the boat entirely on him.

The difference between Alan Griffin and Mark Smith is that Alan Griffin, while maybe not being as gifted of a natural athlete as Mark Smith, is still very athletic, can play basketball at a high level without falling off the learning curve, and can shoot lights out. From what I have watched, which would be several games, clips, and highlight films, I would bet that he could play in the CPL and excel. I would be more confident had we signed Landers, but nabbing an underrated 6'5" athletic wing, who can run the court, is not afraid to attack the basket, and is silky smooth from behind the arc, is not a bad consolation.

Bossi has had very good things to say about him, so I trust the man who covers NY prep basketball. If he is wrong, then Griffin fooled him, BU, and the rest of the staff who saw him. Oh, and he fooled Syracuse too, as the checked in on him but were too late.

When the final rankings come out, he will be closer to a 4 than a 2.
The ranking I referenced just came out today ftr.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 07:59 PM   #2246
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
This will be Kippers last year correct, since he only has one and a half years of eligibility?
Kipper has 2 years remaining. He lost the 1st semester of his freshman year because he transferred before he ever played for Tulane.
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 08:05 PM   #2247
DB11Headband
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
Do not agree with PF and C

PF: Nichols-Bez-Vesel
C: Ebo-Kane-Okoro

See Okoro long term as PF as Kane will be C. Just guessing Ebo will be more ready than the rest but foul problems will probably assure at least four of the above have ample playing time. Liddel could change the equation should we get him. Also see the increase in size of a Jones aiding Kipper at the four. Would guess there will be plenty of practice experiments with different combos.
Okoro would immediately step in and be our best frotncourt player. If you think heís reclassifying to do anything other than start, youíre sorely mistaken.
DB11Headband is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 08:31 PM   #2248
combes
Quote:
There is no way Okoro isnít starting day 1 if he comes here. He may not be ready for the role, but there is literally no one else in our frontcourt who is ready either. Right now this is my best guess on the lineup next year:

Feliz was brought in to run the point. If he was brought in as a back up, we would have waited on Ramey. One more player will leave, too. I think we add two more.

Ideally:

C. Okoro, Kane, Ebo
F. Nichols, Golden, Giorgi
G. Dosunmu, Jones
G. Frazier, Jordan, Griffin
G. Feliz, Williams

I think Griffin will move into the rotation early taking someoneís minutes. I look for a big jump for Williams. Kane and Ebo fight it out for rotation, but Kane is almost 4 inches taller.
combes is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 08:38 PM   #2249
RIVERCITYCHIEF
Quote:
Why are you guys arguing over "Stars" and how does what year someone graduates have anything to do with the kind of player he can be? Okoro is mature and is a very very good high school player. One in our state likely only second to Adam Miller. Right now we need a big more. This ranking crap gets old. Last year at this time I'm sure you guys wanted MS more than TF. Cliff Alexander or Carlton Bragg more than less athletic players that blew them away on the court. I'm old n tired and gonna take a break young fellas. By the way, neither McHale, Bird, or the Chief were athletic were 5 stars I guess but somehow are in the hall over much more decorated under achieving high flying athletes.Go Illini!

Last edited by RIVERCITYCHIEF; Apr 15, 2018 at 08:53 PM.
RIVERCITYCHIEF is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2018, 08:39 PM   #2250
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Feliz was brought in to run the point. If he was brought in as a back up, we would have waited on Ramey. One more player will leave, too. I think we add two more.

Ideally:

C. Okoro, Kane, Ebo
F. Nichols, Golden, Giorgi
G. Dosunmu, Jones
G. Frazier, Jordan, Griffin
G. Feliz, Williams

I think Griffin will move into the rotation early taking someone’s minutes. I look for a big jump for Williams. Kane and Ebo fight it out for rotation, but Kane is almost 4 inches taller.
That would be a great line up and a great future for Illinois basketball. Hope it comes to pass.

Always appreciate your input combes.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote