Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 11:13 AM   #926
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
*pokes head in door*

Anyone for trading Ayo for Castleton or Conditt yet?

*runs away*
lulz! With nuggets like that, best not to remind folks that it was your idea.

I like Kane better than Conditt, for sure, and probably Castleton too, FWLIW.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 11:50 AM   #927
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
Foul!!! Sorry, force of habit.
Ha!

There is no way....absolutely no way....that our defense at the rim is worse than last year.

So, already our defense has improved with a one year better Spicy G, an underrated 7 foot C, and a motivated Kipper. Now replacing Blacks O will be the challenge, but maybe it's offset with better D in the paint?
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 12:02 PM   #928
TheOlafRules
We didn't want a consensus 4-star big from a H.S. sixty miles from Champaign anyway.

A 5th year big who can play decent interior defense, board and give us 30 minutes a night without fouling out would be HUGE. Any offense he could provide would be gravy. Does this unicorn exist?

Last edited by TheOlafRules; May 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM.
TheOlafRules is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 12:09 PM   #929
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOlafRules View Post
We didn't want a consensus 4-star big from a H.S. sixty miles from Champaign anyway.
I get that Illicago is a hotbed and we need home state talent to stay, but the hand wringing over kids going elsewhere is nonsense. I love that BU is taking recruiting on the road.

Duke roster: zero NC kids

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22727

Kentucky: 1 KY kid

https://ukathletics.com/roster.aspx?...03&path=mbball

KU: 2 KS kids

https://kuathletics.com/roster.aspx?...99&path=mbball
Old May 15, 2018, 12:10 PM   #930
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOlafRules View Post
Who is saying that? Who exactly?
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 12:11 PM   #931
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Who is saying that? Who exactly?
Tap your sarcasm meter, it seems to be stuck....
Desert Illini is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 12:41 PM   #932
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
I get that Illicago is a hotbed and we need home state talent to stay, but the hand wringing over kids going elsewhere is nonsense. I love that BU is taking recruiting on the road.
The "lockdown the border" argument is overplayed and overstated. Obviously it's "easier" to convince kids who grew up watching Illinois to come here, but recruiting has changed immensely since this was important. Its easier to reach and convince kids from Cali/Texas/NY to travel thousands of miles to play basketball. Obviously winning helps a lot, but losing out on top talent in the state isn't a big deal, especially when they choose schools with more recent success and clearer futures.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 12:47 PM   #933
Gorilla Gorilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Illini View Post
Tap your sarcasm meter, it seems to be stuck....
Funny
Gorilla Gorilla is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 12:54 PM   #934
mhuml32
Quote:

Even though these schools are so successful that they can easily recruit nationally, let's compare their their home states' ability to produce talent that could be on each team's roster (247 recruits ranked from 2014-2017).

From the combined states of North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas:
4 - 5* Recruits
14 - 4* Recruits

From Illinois:
4 - 5* Recruits
17 - 4* Recruits

The State of Illinois is a more valuable property to protect/enforce compared to any of those states (even combined).
mhuml32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 01:03 PM   #935
Obelix
Quote:

These are all national programs, the true blue bloods, so they always be able to recruit nationally, including all the 5* kids from Illinois. State loyalty means little today, but even that little is more than the ability to recruit the top 5* recruits from other states, evident from the fact that the vast majority of our McD AAs, for example, have always been from Illinois.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 01:24 PM   #936
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
These are all national programs, the true blue bloods, so they always be able to recruit nationally, including all the 5* kids from Illinois. State loyalty means little today, but even that little is more than the ability to recruit the top 5* recruits from other states, evident from the fact that the vast majority of our McD AAs, for example, have always been from Illinois.
Agreed, State loyalty is almost gone completely, that said, hate missing out on Okoro. Love that we are recruiting/offering/and getting national players to compete and want to come here.

Look forward to getting national 4 starts on reg basis...you know what that will mean hopefully next...
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 03:53 PM   #937
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
What's a "national program" by your definition? P5? Or just blue bloods?
I would wager the majority of large P5 schools have rosters that span the nation. I was simply making the point that there is zero chance that we keep the best of our home grown talent in state. Even in our very best stretches we couldn't. Which makes Ayo's commitment so huge. UNC is as attractive a state flagship school as you can find and they have five or six home state kids.

The hand wringing over keeping in state talent here is just over done IMHO. That's all I meant.
Old May 15, 2018, 04:20 PM   #938
Obelix
Quote:
What's a "national program" by your definition? P5? Or just blue bloods?
I would wager the majority of large P5 schools have rosters that span the nation. I was simply making the point that there is zero chance that we keep the best of our home grown talent in state. Even in our very best stretches we couldn't. Which makes Ayo's commitment so huge. UNC is as attractive a state flagship school as you can find and they have five or six home state kids.

The hand wringing over keeping in state talent here is just over done IMHO. That's all I meant.
The programs you mentioned are all true blue bloods, programs that recruit top 5* recruits regularly and nationally with much success. Not all P5 programs are in that category, Illinois is certainly not.

As my post states, State loyalty means little today, but even that little is more than the ability to recruit the top 5* recruits from other states.

The reason that UNC, Duke, UK, KU, etc. have do not have many in state recruits is not that they are not attractive to them, rather that they do not necessarily recruit them and opt for higher rated recruits from other states. Illinois will not be able to do that consistently, definitely not in our current state, but even if we win, you need to do that for many many years and do it consistently.

The vast majority of our top recruits (e.g., McD AAs) have always come from Illinois and that is unlikely to chance. In the current recruitment of bigs (even high 4*'s), it definitely counts in the recruitment of Okoro, Liddell etc. that UI is the state school. It does matter. If you miss on those, it is highly unlikely that we end up with someone higher ranked in that position from out of state. Statistically, the odds are not in our favor with highly ranked prospects.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 06:28 PM   #939
Dan
Admin
Illinois offers top 100 2019 SG from Michigan
https://twitter.com/UIHoopsRecruits/...42633983008770
https://twitter.com/kingJay79/status/996536370263969792
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 06:44 PM   #940
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dren1 View Post
Ok, so no Okoro. Happy Parker Braun unofficial visit day!

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Soooooo. How's the visit going? Anyone see Braun out and about campus, or has everyone gone home?

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 06:55 PM   #941
drewillini89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefini View Post
Soooooo. How's the visit going? Anyone see Braun out and about campus, or has everyone gone home?
Braun still on campus for his visit. Could see a commitment soon - Samba, Giorgi, and Andres all committed at the end of their visits.
drewillini89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 06:57 PM   #942
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewillini89 View Post
Braun still on campus for his visit. Could see a commitment soon - Samba, Giorgi, and Andres all committed at the end of their visits.
When was the last time that a recruit committed on an unofficial visit?
Newman is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:06 PM   #943
drewillini89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
When was the last time that a recruit committed on an unofficial visit?
Unofficial versus official doesn’t matter IMO. He’s here and the last day for the spring singing period is tomorrow. Might as well be his last visit.
drewillini89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:09 PM   #944
westcoastillini
Hehe

https://twitter.com/illinitoffee/sta...54276539957248
westcoastillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:16 PM   #945
Verified Insider
Quote:
*pokes head in door*

Anyone for trading Ayo for Castleton or Conditt yet?

*runs away*

I respect you, S&C.

But that claim of yours still stands as one of the most bizarre posts I've read on a basketball message board. Tough to beat the claim on the old SIU board back in 2005 that Darren Brooks would prove to be a better pro than Deron Williams, but it's still memorable.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:18 PM   #946
Davo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
He went on a verbal assault blocking spree today on Twitter I was proudly one of those who got the axe! What a jerk blames everyone else for his reporting false information.
Yeah Schmidty lost his mind today. Okoro exposed him and he's having a hard time living with it because it killed his credibility. He specifically went after Illinois fans.
Davo79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 07:44 PM   #947
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
Would instantly become my favorite name on the roster.
Would instantly become my favorite name of all time!
Johnny Lawrence is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 08:35 PM   #948
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
I respect you, S&C.

But that claim of yours still stands as one of the most bizarre posts I've read on a basketball message board. Tough to beat the claim on the old SIU board back in 2005 that Darren Brooks would prove to be a better pro than Deron Williams, but it's still memorable.
An exaggeration on my part, guilty as charged.

But an exaggeration reflective of an underlying reality, the big time imbalance of talent between our backcourt and frontcourt.

Next year's team would be better off with a lesser (but still solid) talent than Ayo that's a 6'8" PF with a jumper.

Gotta go get that guy in 2019 and make the best of it in the meantime.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 08:43 PM   #949
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewillini89 View Post
Unofficial versus official doesn’t matter IMO. He’s here and the last day for the spring singing period is tomorrow. Might as well be his last visit.
He can commit to a school without signing an LOI so he can most certainly take additional visits.
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 09:05 PM   #950
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
An exaggeration on my part, guilty as charged.

But an exaggeration reflective of an underlying reality, the big time imbalance of talent between our backcourt and frontcourt.

Next year's team would be better off with a lesser (but still solid) talent than Ayo that's a 6'8" PF with a jumper.

Gotta go get that guy in 2019 and make the best of it in the meantime.
Yikes S&C, while there's no way of knowing if this is true, I really hope Ayo makes you eat a lot of crow on this one!