Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Closed Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 04:20 PM   #826
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
What's a "national program" by your definition? P5? Or just blue bloods?
I would wager the majority of large P5 schools have rosters that span the nation. I was simply making the point that there is zero chance that we keep the best of our home grown talent in state. Even in our very best stretches we couldn't. Which makes Ayo's commitment so huge. UNC is as attractive a state flagship school as you can find and they have five or six home state kids.

The hand wringing over keeping in state talent here is just over done IMHO. That's all I meant.
The programs you mentioned are all true blue bloods, programs that recruit top 5* recruits regularly and nationally with much success. Not all P5 programs are in that category, Illinois is certainly not.

As my post states, State loyalty means little today, but even that little is more than the ability to recruit the top 5* recruits from other states.

The reason that UNC, Duke, UK, KU, etc. have do not have many in state recruits is not that they are not attractive to them, rather that they do not necessarily recruit them and opt for higher rated recruits from other states. Illinois will not be able to do that consistently, definitely not in our current state, but even if we win, you need to do that for many many years and do it consistently.

The vast majority of our top recruits (e.g., McD AAs) have always come from Illinois and that is unlikely to chance. In the current recruitment of bigs (even high 4*'s), it definitely counts in the recruitment of Okoro, Liddell etc. that UI is the state school. It does matter. If you miss on those, it is highly unlikely that we end up with someone higher ranked in that position from out of state. Statistically, the odds are not in our favor with highly ranked prospects.
Old May 15, 2018, 06:28 PM   #827
Dan
Admin
Illinois offers top 100 2019 SG from Michigan
https://twitter.com/UIHoopsRecruits/...42633983008770
https://twitter.com/kingJay79/status/996536370263969792
Old May 15, 2018, 06:44 PM   #828
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dren1 View Post
Ok, so no Okoro. Happy Parker Braun unofficial visit day!

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Soooooo. How's the visit going? Anyone see Braun out and about campus, or has everyone gone home?

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
Old May 15, 2018, 06:55 PM   #829
drewillini89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefini View Post
Soooooo. How's the visit going? Anyone see Braun out and about campus, or has everyone gone home?
Braun still on campus for his visit. Could see a commitment soon - Samba, Giorgi, and Andres all committed at the end of their visits.
Old May 15, 2018, 06:57 PM   #830
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewillini89 View Post
Braun still on campus for his visit. Could see a commitment soon - Samba, Giorgi, and Andres all committed at the end of their visits.
When was the last time that a recruit committed on an unofficial visit?
Old May 15, 2018, 07:06 PM   #831
drewillini89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
When was the last time that a recruit committed on an unofficial visit?
Unofficial versus official doesn’t matter IMO. He’s here and the last day for the spring singing period is tomorrow. Might as well be his last visit.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:09 PM   #832
westcoastillini
Hehe

https://twitter.com/illinitoffee/sta...54276539957248
Old May 15, 2018, 07:16 PM   #833
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
*pokes head in door*

Anyone for trading Ayo for Castleton or Conditt yet?

*runs away*

I respect you, S&C.

But that claim of yours still stands as one of the most bizarre posts I've read on a basketball message board. Tough to beat the claim on the old SIU board back in 2005 that Darren Brooks would prove to be a better pro than Deron Williams, but it's still memorable.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:18 PM   #834
Davo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
He went on a verbal assault blocking spree today on Twitter I was proudly one of those who got the axe! What a jerk blames everyone else for his reporting false information.
Yeah Schmidty lost his mind today. Okoro exposed him and he's having a hard time living with it because it killed his credibility. He specifically went after Illinois fans.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:44 PM   #835
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Would instantly become my favorite name on the roster.
Would instantly become my favorite name of all time!
Old May 15, 2018, 08:35 PM   #836
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
I respect you, S&C.

But that claim of yours still stands as one of the most bizarre posts I've read on a basketball message board. Tough to beat the claim on the old SIU board back in 2005 that Darren Brooks would prove to be a better pro than Deron Williams, but it's still memorable.
An exaggeration on my part, guilty as charged.

But an exaggeration reflective of an underlying reality, the big time imbalance of talent between our backcourt and frontcourt.

Next year's team would be better off with a lesser (but still solid) talent than Ayo that's a 6'8" PF with a jumper.

Gotta go get that guy in 2019 and make the best of it in the meantime.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:43 PM   #837
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewillini89 View Post
Unofficial versus official doesn’t matter IMO. He’s here and the last day for the spring singing period is tomorrow. Might as well be his last visit.
He can commit to a school without signing an LOI so he can most certainly take additional visits.
Old May 15, 2018, 09:05 PM   #838
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:

But an exaggeration reflective of an underlying reality, the big time imbalance of talent between our backcourt and frontcourt.

Next year's team would be better off with a lesser (but still solid) talent than Ayo that's a 6'8" PF with a jumper.

Yikes S&C, while there's no way of knowing if this is true, I really hope Ayo makes you eat a lot of crow on this one!
Old May 15, 2018, 09:21 PM   #839
SergioKittner
Quote:

We need quality bigs to balance the roster but guards win games. I look back at UCONN’s title behind Napier and Boatright. Two 6’ PG’s lead an 11 seed (as I remember? Not looking it up right now) to a title in a coach’s 1st year (fired this year? Again not looking it up).

We’d be a better team with Okoro. Or several other bigs that we have recruited. I don’t think there is any way around that. But Ayo should still be easily more impactful than an average big.
Old May 15, 2018, 09:48 PM   #840
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Also, I made the mistake of rolling with AZ (best big man) in my bracket this year over Villanova (best guard).

It seems to be that way every year.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:22 PM   #841
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I feel that this post and the awesome name on this kid is not getting the attention it deserves.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:43 PM   #842
Tacomallini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Illini View Post
I know it's a Chicken or Egg argument. But I'm not willing to do the research.
I admire your commitment to this topic!
Old May 16, 2018, 12:03 AM   #843
eMitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
I feel that this post and the awesome name on this kid is not getting the attention it deserves.
It's good. But, when TCU had Bingo Merriex and Nucleus Smith on the same team, they set a pretty high bar.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:17 AM   #844
ivwilsoniv
Quote:
He went on a verbal assault blocking spree today on Twitter I was proudly one of those who got the axe! What a jerk blames everyone else for his reporting false information.
I got blocked years ago. Welcome to the club.

Old May 16, 2018, 05:29 AM   #845
GortTheRobot
Quote:
Johnny Lawrence and I jumped on that earlier. Might be the best name ever given to a human being. Top that Johnny. 😜
You are correct! Could be one of my favorites since Baskerville Holmes in the 80's.
Old May 16, 2018, 05:39 AM   #846
drewillini89
Illini have picked up a CB for Braun - for those interested in click bait
Old May 16, 2018, 07:18 AM   #847
drewillini89
Overall I think we’ve had a good first true recruiting class. Ayo was the only “MUST-GET”, Tevian was a huge get. Kane and Griffin I think will surprise a lot of people. Giorgi and Feliz will have important roles as well.

I think Whitney is our next MUST-GET. If we miss out on him that’s on the staff and pretty unforgivable. Okoro seems to be reclassifying so it’s just tough luck that we missed him. But I think there are clear must-get players down the road - Whitney in 2019, Miller in 2020. I regard “must-gets” as a combination of us being in early on them, having the perception of a pipeline, being program-redefining talents, etc.
Old May 16, 2018, 07:26 AM   #848
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
Yikes S&C, while there's no way of knowing if this is true, I really hope Ayo makes you eat a lot of crow on this one!
It would be Giorgi or Ebo or Kipper or Kane or some combination of all of them (or maybe Parker Braun?) who would make me eat crow. And I hope they do as well.
Old May 16, 2018, 07:30 AM   #849
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Illini View Post
I'd be curious to know, did the KU, UK, Dukes, UNC's of the world become big time because they got lucky with some big time local talent, or was it because they started going 'national' rather then local in their searches?
The key thing from the direction you're looking at this is that those schools became dominant in an ancient college basketball environment that doesn't resemble our own at all. There is nothing to be gleaned from a recruiting strategy at Illinois in 2018 perspective from the history of those programs.
Old May 16, 2018, 07:40 AM   #850
Obelix
Quote:
The key thing from the direction you're looking at this is that those schools became dominant in an ancient college basketball environment that doesn't resemble our own at all. There is nothing to be gleaned from a recruiting strategy at Illinois in 2018 perspective from the history of those programs.
That is about it, it has nothing to do with recruiting strategy. They just created consistent tradition and their biggest accomplishment is that they were able to maintain that tradition over the years.

Recruiting nationally is no big revelation for any school, of course you should get talent independent of where it comes from. The problem is the ability to get highly ranked players from other states, when you can't get them in your own state.
Closed Thread