Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bruce Weber at Kansas State - Chester Frazier hired as assistant at KSU

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old May 4, 2012, 01:03 PM   #251
pizzaman
pizzaman's Avatar
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibob View Post
He's still at it. From the ESPN article:

Weber said things began to snowball once his players received word that he would likely be fired.
"[Otherwise] we would've made the NCAA tournament," Weber said. "It was really hard on our kids. They really took it hard. They could sense what was going on. I mean, kids cried in my office, on the phone.
"We had been very competitive, but that caused us to lose some of that sense of togetherness, a sense of a future or whatever. That's what gets you over the hump in some of those games. We didn't have it."
Simpler to say, "we all quit when we realized we were failing."
pizzaman is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 01:09 PM   #252
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
Simpler to say, "we all quit when we realized we were failing."
And when we got into BT play and got punched in the mouth, we cried and made excuses instead of getting tough and punching back. I was a supporter of Weber until this season. Watching this team quit made firing Weber an easy decision. I was hoping Weber would learn from this and move on, but so far he's at a different school and still making excuses.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 01:10 PM   #253
Jani Lane
What if it's true that his kids were crying and Bruce felt it broke down his team psychologically? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I personally have no problem with Bruce if he's:

1. Telling the truth about his players (which I think he is)
2. Telling what he felt about it all

This is a guy that probably has never been fired or experienced failure like this in his entire life. He's moved up the chain to the highest levels so let's cut the guy some slack if he has a little trouble dealing with a major failure. We've moved on, he's moving on. This will all eventually be about the UI and KSU basketball teams, but in the offseason of the hiring and firing, we're going to get some reflection.
Jani Lane is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 01:22 PM   #254
IL2000
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani Lane View Post
What if it's true that his kids were crying and Bruce felt it broke down his team psychologically? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I personally have no problem with Bruce if he's:

1. Telling the truth about his players (which I think he is)
2. Telling what he felt about it all

This is a guy that probably has never been fired or experienced failure like this in his entire life. He's moved up the chain to the highest levels so let's cut the guy some slack if he has a little trouble dealing with a major failure. We've moved on, he's moving on. This will all eventually be about the UI and KSU basketball teams, but in the offseason of the hiring and firing, we're going to get some reflection.
He was a crying, whining excuse maker his entire tenure here, not just the last season.
IL2000 is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 01:22 PM   #255
scubadunk
scubadunk's Avatar
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani Lane View Post
What if it's true that his kids were crying and Bruce felt it broke down his team psychologically? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I personally have no problem with Bruce if he's:

1. Telling the truth about his players (which I think he is)
2. Telling what he felt about it all

This is a guy that probably has never been fired or experienced failure like this in his entire life. He's moved up the chain to the highest levels so let's cut the guy some slack if he has a little trouble dealing with a major failure. We've moved on, he's moving on. This will all eventually be about the UI and KSU basketball teams, but in the offseason of the hiring and firing, we're going to get some reflection.
Its the coaches job to keep the kids focused and on task. The players do see the negatives but its the coaches job to keep them practicing and not paying attention to all the negavtive. Weber fed into the negatives and made it harder on the players. If he would have been professional and continued to do his job instead of blame others his players wouldnt have had to answer questions during every interview about their coach. It all goes back to the way he handled the situation. And dont say he is moving on. He clearly is not moving on he is still blaming others in interviews after he got a new job. He is lucky to have that job and should start focusing again on the team and not the media.
scubadunk is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 01:59 PM   #256
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani Lane View Post
What if it's true that his kids were crying and Bruce felt it broke down his team psychologically? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I personally have no problem with Bruce if he's:

1. Telling the truth about his players (which I think he is)
2. Telling what he felt about it all

This is a guy that probably has never been fired or experienced failure like this in his entire life. He's moved up the chain to the highest levels so let's cut the guy some slack if he has a little trouble dealing with a major failure. We've moved on, he's moving on. This will all eventually be about the UI and KSU basketball teams, but in the offseason of the hiring and firing, we're going to get some reflection.
You missed my point, and I think Webers point, although as usual he's too cowardly to address it directly. He's saying "if weren't for Thomas we would have made the tournament and I'd still have a job."
I believe players were upset, I believe he was upset, they had reason to be and I understand that. But everybody was upset and crying because WEBER FAILED. No other reason. Yet he cant face that and he keeps putting out excuses and blaming somebody else, he can't even put a cork in it on the weekend he's coming back to CU for his kid's wedding for crying out loud. I assume Kaplan is a bridesmaid.

I had little respect for him left to lose, but with this it's all gone.
illinibob is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 02:59 PM   #257
popejackson
Banned
Location: Chicago, IL
Disgusting. Weber is a disgrace and a coward.
popejackson is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 03:01 PM   #258
OrangeFever
Banned
Location: Seattle area
Bruce is such a cry baby. If he's right that he and the team tanked because of what MT did, I propose awarding Mike a special award of merit. Getting this guy out of town by ANY means was of tremendous value to the program. He is revealing himself as a buffoon. With every inane comment he makes the reasons for his failure at Illinois are clearer. He can't see the forest for the trees and has terrible, childish judgment. Whatever positive image he had left among some Illini fans, he is destroying.
OrangeFever is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 03:11 PM   #259
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
The irony of Bruce Weber's campaign against Mike Thomas, if his story is to be believed (it's not but let's play along)- Bruce is trumpeting the fact that's he's a loser.

So Bruce is saying that the big bad boss was on a mission to get rid of BW. The only way that Bruce could have kept his job was for his team to rally around him and win a few games in the NCAA Tournament (or make it to the Final Four, or win the championship, whatever).

That's what you call a perfect setup to a Disney sports movie.

In the movie, the team rallies around their coach/situation/etc, achieves some measure of glory, the coach's job is saved, custard for everyone, and the big bad boss falls into a pit of tar.

So what happened in real life with Bruce Weber? Did the team pull it together to make a run in the tourney?

No. The team fell apart, cried a lot (both on and off the court), tailspinned into the greatest collapse in Illinois basketball history, and didn't even make the NIT. The big bad boss did what had to be done for the program, and Bruce continued to cry about MT after receiving a $3.9M golden Guenther buyout.

Bruce's rhetoric on his downfall at Illinois is becoming more and more extreme. Obviously, it's in his best interests to discontinue the "I'm mad at Mike Thomas" talking point, but he won't. The man is The Terminator of Excuses.

This is the guy that on February 17th invoked the 5-year-old Jamar Smith incident as an excuse during a press conference (and that presser wasn't extreme enough to be labeled a BW 'meltdown'). To quote Alec Baldwin's character in Glengarry Glen Ross: "A loser is a loser."
Dan is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 03:15 PM   #260
OrangeFever
Banned
Location: Seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2000 View Post
He was a crying, whining excuse maker his entire tenure here, not just the last season.
You are 100% right in this assessment. What we saw this season and now are seeing in spades is vintage Weber, just more extreme. He isn't able to conceal or mute it. His personality and outlook now are fully on display. It's revealing, and pretty disgusting.
OrangeFever is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 04:26 PM   #261
Lab Rat
Banned
Location: SouthEastern Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
Just met Bruce at Le Peep in Champaign having breakfast with his son-in-law, future son-in-law, and other groomsmen. His daughter is getting married in Champaign this weekend. He was wearing a K-State shirt, of course. He knows the guy I was with so came over to say hello and spent a couple minutes chatting.
My thought after reading this post was that of Fever challenging Bruce to a loser leave town match, oh but that has already happened, thanks MT.
Lab Rat is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 05:51 PM   #262
UncleBob
Location: San Clemente, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani Lane View Post
What if it's true that his kids were crying and Bruce felt it broke down his team psychologically? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I personally have no problem with Bruce if he's:

1. Telling the truth about his players (which I think he is)
2. Telling what he felt about it all

This is a guy that probably has never been fired or experienced failure like this in his entire life. He's moved up the chain to the highest levels so let's cut the guy some slack if he has a little trouble dealing with a major failure. We've moved on, he's moving on. This will all eventually be about the UI and KSU basketball teams, but in the offseason of the hiring and firing, we're going to get some reflection.
Just wondering....is there anything that BAM could do or say that you wouldn't defend?
UncleBob is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 05:55 PM   #263
UncleBob
Location: San Clemente, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The irony of Bruce Weber's campaign against Mike Thomas, if his story is to be believed (it's not but let's play along)- Bruce is trumpeting the fact that's he's a loser.

So Bruce is saying that the big bad boss was on a mission to get rid of BW. The only way that Bruce could have kept his job was for his team to rally around him and win a few games in the NCAA Tournament (or make it to the Final Four, or win the championship, whatever).

That's what you call a perfect setup to a Disney sports movie.

In the movie, the team rallies around their coach/situation/etc, achieves some measure of glory, the coach's job is saved, custard for everyone, and the big bad boss falls into a pit of tar.

So what happened in real life with Bruce Weber? Did the team pull it together to make a run in the tourney?

No. The team fell apart, cried a lot (both on and off the court), tailspinned into the greatest collapse in Illinois basketball history, and didn't even make the NIT. The big bad boss did what had to be done for the program, and Bruce continued to cry about MT after receiving a $3.9M golden Guenther buyout.

Bruce's rhetoric on his downfall at Illinois is becoming more and more extreme. Obviously, it's in his best interests to discontinue the "I'm mad at Mike Thomas" talking point, but he won't. The man is The Terminator of Excuses.

This is the guy that on February 17th invoked the 5-year-old Jamar Smith incident as an excuse during a press conference (and that presser wasn't extreme enough to be labeled a BW 'meltdown'). To quote Alec Baldwin's character in Glengarry Glen Ross: "A loser is a loser."
Great post Dan. There are a lot of us who are fed up with this guy and his whining. I love it when you voice your opinion rather than just keep the rest of us on the straight and narrow.
UncleBob is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 06:15 PM   #264
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Chris Yates's Avatar
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
Just met Bruce at Le Peep in Champaign having breakfast with his son-in-law, future son-in-law, and other groomsmen. His daughter is getting married in Champaign this weekend. He was wearing a K-State shirt, of course. He knows the guy I was with so came over to say hello and spent a couple minutes chatting.
What kind of a world is this, Fever? First I run into John Calipari last week at a restaurant in Lexington, and then you run into Bruce Weber this week at a restaurant in Champaign. Somebody up there thinks these coincidental meetings are amusing. :laugh:

__________________
Last living member of Olaf Blab fan club

Tweeting at @CPY87
Chris Yates is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 06:21 PM   #265
dgcrow
dgcrow's Avatar
Location: Kelso, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
What kind of a world is this, Fever? First I run into John Calipari last week at a restaurant in Lexington, and then you run into Bruce Weber this week at a restaurant in Champaign. Somebody up there thinks these coincidental meetings are amusing. :laugh:
All depends on exactly what you mean by "run into".
dgcrow is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 06:27 PM   #266
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
We've moved on, he's moving on.
Is he? Seems to me it is more like spinning his wheels. Very sad.

The one person, IMHO, who seems to be moving on is JG.
Indicchief is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 06:32 PM   #267
Jani Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
Just wondering....is there anything that BAM could do or say that you wouldn't defend?
I didn't realize I was defending Bruce. I just said his comments have not bothered me at all. He's always been very honest over the years so it's hard for me to think he's pulled a complete 180. Bruce is an emotional guy that wears his heart on his sleeve. His integrity and emotion is part of what I liked about him as a person so I'm not going to be bothered just because it might put our AD in a very brief poor light when no one is paying attention anyway.

To me, these comments are just another minor thing for guys like OF to get out all that negativity I guess they need to get out. For me, it's barely a blip on my radar.
Jani Lane is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 06:37 PM   #268
Jani Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
Is he? Seems to me it is more like spinning his wheels. Very sad.

The one person, IMHO, who seems to be moving on is JG.
I think what you guys are missing is guys interview Bruce because he's at another high major job in K-State. Of course, they're going ask him about his time at a Top 15 program like U of I. I mean, he hasn't even coached one game at his new school yet, and it's the off season in which he was fired.

As for JG, no one cares about Ohio. He left for a better job, they're interested in what he's doing at that better job. Now if JG was fired from UNC, I can guarantee he would have to answer questions repeatedly about his time at UNC. That's all Bruce is doing. I guess some of you want him to answer those questions in a certain way, but Bruce is what he is, he's not gonna change.
Jani Lane is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 06:46 PM   #269
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani Lane View Post
I think what you guys are missing is guys interview Bruce because he's at another high major job in K-State. Of course, they're going ask him about his time at a Top 15 program like U of I. I mean, he hasn't even coached one game at his new school yet, and it's the off season in which he was fired.
No problem with interviewing, etc, but IF the topic is "moving", then it is up to Coach Weber to make sure that he has moved on. Nothing in his interview makes that come out.

Quote:
As for JG, no one cares about Ohio. He left for a better job, they're interested in what he's doing at that better job. Now if JG was fired from UNC, I can guarantee he would have to answer questions repeatedly about his time at UNC. That's all Bruce is doing. I guess some of you want him to answer those questions in a certain way, but Bruce is what he is, he's not gonna change.
True. Glad you said it - Bruce is not gonna change. He cannot move on - is what I am hearing you say.

Weber has that one chance to re-build himself and like I said earlier and you seem to agree, he is spinning his wheel, he is not moving on, because he is not going to change.
Indicchief is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 06:47 PM   #270
OrangeFever
Banned
Location: Seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
What kind of a world is this, Fever? First I run into John Calipari last week at a restaurant in Lexington, and then you run into Bruce Weber this week at a restaurant in Champaign. Somebody up there thinks these coincidental meetings are amusing. :laugh:
Comic irony for sure CY ...

O
OrangeFever is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 07:08 PM   #271
Jani Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
No problem with interviewing, etc, but IF the topic is "moving", then it is up to Coach Weber to make sure that he has moved on. Nothing in his interview makes that come out.

True. Glad you said it - Bruce is not gonna change. He cannot move on - is what I am hearing you say.

Weber has that one chance to re-build himself and like I said earlier and you seem to agree, he is spinning his wheel, he is not moving on, because he is not going to change.

I did not say he is SPINNING his wheels. He's answering the same questions over and over again. That's part of the deal that off season when you leave a high major and go to another high major. You think a reporter at ESPN is going to sit down with Bruce and want to talk at length about summer practices at K-State?? Have some perspective.
Jani Lane is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 07:11 PM   #272
UncleBob
Location: San Clemente, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
No problem with interviewing, etc, but IF the topic is "moving", then it is up to Coach Weber to make sure that he has moved on. Nothing in his interview makes that come out.

True. Glad you said it - Bruce is not gonna change. He cannot move on - is what I am hearing you say.

Weber has that one chance to re-build himself and like I said earlier and you seem to agree, he is spinning his wheel, he is not moving on, because he is not going to change.


Which is one reason why he isn't here any more.
UncleBob is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 07:23 PM   #273
Indicchief
Banned
JL,

"he's not gonna change" = "spinning his wheels".

You said the first, I the second.

IF "moving on" is true, then he will leave "Illinois" out of his interviews - IMHO of course. "Illinois" does no good for Bruce Weber - any more. It is over. The good and the bad and the worst. Over.

But ................... "he's not gonna change".

[OT} (Sorry Dan.)
Here is my prediction. Weber will do well - go to the dance, perhaps even be a pain in the side of Self/Kruger. In 2-3 years the KSU AD will declare victory and move on to a better job. And ........ if KSU looks at the MAC schools for an AD .....................
[/OT]

All because .......... "he's not gonna change".
Indicchief is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 08:32 PM   #274
jmiller
The irony of this latest excuse is the fact that he's admitting that he's an incompetent coach and and terrible leader. Im just glad he's gone. No more mouth wide open on the sidelines with his tongue hanging out and his eyes crossed. Somebody else's problem. Cheers
jmiller is offline
Old May 4, 2012, 09:18 PM   #275
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
What kind of a world is this, Fever? First I run into John Calipari last week at a restaurant in Lexington, and then you run into Bruce Weber this week at a restaurant in Champaign. Somebody up there thinks these coincidental meetings are amusing. :laugh:
Personally, I'd say Cal ran into you. At least that's the way I'd look at it if I were you!
DaytonIllini is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump