Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Cornerbacks coach Steve Clinkscale headed to Cincinnati

Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:10 PM   #76
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibob View Post
Bye
Ha!....nobody ever thinks to actually say goodbye anymore...that was funny yet thoughtful.
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:17 PM   #77
AngryOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermie1985 View Post
I don't think it would be hard to pass up Illinois while waiting for a better job to open. If Beckman fails, it makes us look even worse than when Zook was getting us into bowl games every few years. I am sure some have the ego to take on the Illinois job but others would look the other way. Similar to Shaka in basketball. Hard to imagine he didn't look at Bill Self and jump at the Illinois offer.

I was not a huge fan of the Beckman hire. I wanted Monken. That said, I hopes he turns things around.
I think in football, that window is much tighter than basketball. Last year, Mario Cristobal was a hot name and tied to Pitt and Rutgers. He just became the OL coach at Alabama, quite a step back. Passing on Illinois is harder than it appears on its face, the next year someone else may get the job you were angling for then.

I was not opposed to the Beckman hire, but he was about 5th on my list. Although GHD opposed it , I really wanted us to make a run at James Franklin.
AngryOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:23 PM   #78
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Not from any perspective. Illinois has a huge financial and media advantage as a B1G member institution. Cincinnati also doesn't have nearly as big an alumni base. Yes, Cincy has had better teams on average over the past 15 years, but Illinois has a lot of fundamental advantages over Cincinnati. We just haven't hired very good coaches.
Coaches aren't leaving because Cincy is a better football school than Illinois...they are leaving because there is a problem at the top of this staff...it can be fixed by moving on from Beckman or Beckman having the brains and courage to change how he selects and manages his assistants...

The UI football program is a Ferrari...we need to hand the keys who someone who can drive...GHD is right...huge institutional advantages as a BIG member school sitting on a mountain of deactivated support in Chicago
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:26 PM   #79
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
None of those advantages would matter to a young position coach that wants to win. We are the dregs of the Big 10. Jumping from Cinci to Illinois would make some sense for a guy becoming a HC. For a position coach where you are likely to be judged by the performance of your unit and your team, it makes eminent sense to jump from Illinois to Cinci.

When you take the average number of years an assistant coach spends at a school and the number of assistants on a team you can see that there is a lot of coaching turnover every year. To expect anything other than an above average amount of movement following the debacle of the last 1.5 years in Champaign would require a level of optimism that would be eyebrow raising.
New coaches routinely struggle their first year or two, particularly at schools like Illinois. They don't routinely replace 5 of 9 assistant coaches after one year.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:32 PM   #80
skamin7
The million dollar question is which coach leaves next. I fully expect there to be atleast a few more that take off for greener pastures. The only question is when will they be announced as I'm sure the last few informed TB before they were officially announced.
skamin7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:36 PM   #81
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamin7 View Post
The million dollar question is which coach leaves next. I fully expect there to be atleast a few more that take off for greener pastures. The only question is when will they be announced as I'm sure the last few informed TB before they were officially announced.
  • Ward? Not likely to have any other high major offers and is VERY close to Beckman.
  • Golesh? Star recruiter so he could have offers but also VERY close to Beckman. One of the first two guys he brought over.
  • Salem? Not likely to have many offers at this point in his career, particularly given that he isn't a strong recruiter.
  • Banks? Would anyone hire him as a coordinator after last year? Whether he likes it or not, Banks will sink or swim with Beckman.
I don't expect a few more to leave for greener pastures.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:02 PM   #82
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
The UI football program is a Ferrari.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:05 PM   #83
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivetNaz View Post
:laugh:

Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:31 PM   #84
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
:laugh:
Ok. That's still a Ferrari though...:laugh:
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:37 PM   #85
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
No way that happens. Coaches know they have to strike when the iron is hot. If you wait on a job you may not get another chance to move up. If you wait for the "perfect job" you will be waiting for a while.
Shaka and Brad Stevens say hello.
illinibob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:05 PM   #86
Lake Camelot
Quote:
  1. Few rational fans wanted all the assistant coaches to be fired. Too much turnover is a huge problem on many fronts: player development, scheme consistency and recruiting.
  2. The first two new hires, Cubit and Bridge, could be seen as an improvement on who they replaced. Not so much for Colby and Bellamy.
  3. Clink was a key recruiter in Ohio and someone close to Beckman. His departure signals a lack of confidence in this program that can't be ignored.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel except I am also worried our talent doesn't fit Cubit's style. That could be the top problem of all this to me. I like Cubit but don't see how it will work.

Also last year I was really excited about Beatty, Salem, and Gonzo. That didn't work out. I was disappointed we couldn't get Sumlin (It was a major letdown) But I didn't feel Beckman was a bad hire. I now feel there is a very high percentage chance he fails here. I am annoyed that I have to wait years for things to turn around.

Last edited by Lake Camelot; Feb 20, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Lake Camelot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:15 PM   #87
TooHot4Tots
Where did Monken go as HC?
TooHot4Tots is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:22 PM   #88
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Shaka and Brad Stevens say hello.
Remember where I said "you could be waiting a while for that perfect job"? Shaka's team this year hasn't done anything spectacular and he very likely will never have been as popular as he was heading into this year. It also appears that neither coach is looking to move on unless it happens to come at one of a handful of schools.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:34 PM   #89
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHot4Tots View Post
Where did Monken go as HC?
Southern Miss

Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:42 PM   #90
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
Southern Miss
Thank you. Couldn't remember. I'm curious to see how he does. If he's good, I'd like to go after him if Beckman doesn't pan out.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:44 PM   #91
ButkusDaBear
Quote:
Southern Miss
He just may be our next head coach.
ButkusDaBear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:33 PM   #92
IndianaIllini
Quote:
Remember where I said "you could be waiting a while for that perfect job"? Shaka's team this year hasn't done anything spectacular and he very likely will never have been as popular as he was heading into this year. It also appears that neither coach is looking to move on unless it happens to come at one of a handful of schools.
Last I checked VCU was ranked 24 in both polls. That's pretty spectacular for VCU.
IndianaIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:43 PM   #93
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
A handful that doesn't include Illinois.

A Big 10 cosching search that begins and ends with determining which MAC or WAC coach is willing to take the job is the wrong way to go. Not saying Thomas consciously approached it that way, I don't think he did, but I think his preference for getting someone with HC experience will be seen when Beckman is gone as a misake in hindsight.
illinibob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:22 PM   #94
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
A handful that doesn't include Illinois.

A Big 10 cosching search that begins and ends with determining which MAC or WAC coach is willing to take the job is the wrong way to go. Not saying Thomas consciously approached it that way, I don't think he did, but I think his preference for getting someone with HC experience will be seen when Beckman is gone as a misake in hindsight.
One potentially mistaken hire doesn't mean you abandon the possibility for a head coach from the MAC to pan out. Especially since, ya know, a ton of high major successful coaches came from the MAC.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:27 PM   #95
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaIllini View Post
Last I checked VCU was ranked 24 in both polls. That's pretty spectacular for VCU.
That's fine but they quite literally have beaten nobody this year.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:43 PM   #96
quhawks12
Former Illini GA Daryl Dixon a name being thrown around. Currently DB coach at Ball St.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:47 PM   #97
TooHot4Tots
Same Dixon that played ball at Florida?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:59 PM   #98
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Former Illini GA Daryl Dixon a name being thrown around. Currently DB coach at Ball St.
Thoughts, if he were to be hired?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:30 PM   #99
quhawks12
Quote:
Thoughts, if he were to be hired?
Already recruits Chicago for BSU. And is one of BSU's top recruiters for a pretty good MAC team. So we'll see what happens.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:31 PM   #100
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHot4Tots View Post
Same Dixon that played ball at Florida?
Yes.