Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Coaching Carousel

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:27 AM   #51
ILL in IA
Whats the end game for OA. Does he want to be a head coach again? If so, I can see how having success away from Cal could be a resume booster for that. If he is ok with being an assistant coach going forward, might as well go do it at a place where you can have the most success.
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:31 AM   #52
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
I didn't think Stallings was a great hire, but I never expected it to go that poorly.
And he reportedly has $9.4 million due to him if he's fired.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:38 AM   #53
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
And he reportedly has $9.4 million due to him if he's fired.
Both he and Tubby could vacation together, then, and Kevin could pick up the tab.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:46 AM   #54
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wILL-INI View Post
Its a tough sell. Stallings basically hasn't recruited for 2 years (no one signed higher than #130, except a decent juco guy) and they graduate 4 guys. On top of what im gonna guess is a mass exodus of the guys they have left. In the ACC, in a recruiting territory that is being taken over.

They are a laughing stock.

They are up a creek. And regretting the grass-is-greener firing/letting Jamie Dixon walk.
Wished I would have placed $20.00 on that one.
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 01:39 PM   #55
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
I didn't think Stallings was a great hire, but I never expected it to go that poorly.
He may have been a legend at Vandy had he stayed there.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 02:33 PM   #56
SKane
Coach Stallings met complete disaster at Pitt.

He had a nice program going at Vanderbilt.

I wonder whether another P% school will take a chance on hiring him.
SKane is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 02:47 PM   #57
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKane View Post
Coach Stallings met complete disaster at Pitt.

He had a nice program going at Vanderbilt.

I wonder whether another P% school will take a chance on hiring him.
Not sure why you would. He build a decent program at Vandy, then ran Pitt into the ground. If he had better success (doubt the made more than a S16 or two) at Vandy maybe, but I think going back to a school like ISU is a good choice for him. Or perhaps assistant coaching at a major place, though I doubt he'd do that after being a HC for so long.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 04:14 PM   #58
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
Not sure why you would. He build a decent program at Vandy, then ran Pitt into the ground. If he had better success (doubt the made more than a S16 or two) at Vandy maybe, but I think going back to a school like ISU is a good choice for him. Or perhaps assistant coaching at a major place, though I doubt he'd do that after being a HC for so long.
Two NCAA SS appearances, 1 NCAA third round, 1 second round, 1 first round, 1 First Four, to go along with 2 NIT quarterfinals, 1 NIT second round, and 2 NIT first rounds. All in all, not bad for Vandy. He had a good streak going in the late 2000's and early 2010's.

I wasn't aware he was on the hot seat, and I have a hard time thinking a hot seat coach would get hired at Pitt. Then again, I have a hard time thinking that Tim Beckman got hired at Illinois.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 06:42 PM   #59
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Two NCAA SS appearances, 1 NCAA third round, 1 second round, 1 first round, 1 First Four, to go along with 2 NIT quarterfinals, 1 NIT second round, and 2 NIT first rounds. All in all, not bad for Vandy. He had a good streak going in the late 2000's and early 2010's.

I wasn't aware he was on the hot seat, and I have a hard time thinking a hot seat coach would get hired at Pitt. Then again, I have a hard time thinking that Tim Beckman got hired at Illinois.
7 Dances in 17 yrs at Vandy. In the SEC, where beyond KY and FL there wasn't a ton of competition most yrs.

To me he is an MVC/OVC/MAC level coach, and will probably end up back there, unless he decides to retire and hang out with his buddy Vince Gill.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 08:53 AM   #60
DB11Headband
Kevin Ollie out at UCONN
DB11Headband is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 09:06 AM   #61
the national
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB11Headband View Post
Kevin Ollie out at UCONN
That doesnít surprise me. Heís been riding his Ntl championship, but hasnít really lived up to expecations since

Old Mar 10, 2018, 09:20 AM   #62
NEIlliniFan
UConn firing Ollie ' for cause' because of his contract. Expect a negotiated settlement. Anyway, he's gone.
NEIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:20 AM   #63
foby
Fox expected to be out at Georgia.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:39 AM   #64
SampsonRelpenk
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS! We have learned that Vanderbilt assistant coach Roger Powell has interviewed for the @MSUBearsHoops head coaching position.
https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/sta...21555745017856

That's Missouri State by the way. Hope he gets it! Who was the last former Illini player to have a head D1 gig?
SampsonRelpenk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:41 AM   #65
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampsonRelpenk View Post
https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/sta...21555745017856

That's Missouri State by the way. Hope he gets it! Who was the last former Illini player to have a head D1 gig?
I really hope he gets it too! Go Rev!

Last edited by foby; Mar 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: oops
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:44 AM   #66
illinitiger
"Manning in or out" thread started by user "Ayo" on wakeforest board.
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:15 PM   #67
LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post
He just signed a contract extension Nov 2017 that goes through 2024. Guessing this is more so wishful thinking by some or it would be an insanely expensive proposition.
LBZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 02:18 PM   #68
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post

Sending some VIBES their way in hopes that they extend Manning for 20+ years. he's a really, really lousy coach.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2018, 08:41 PM   #69
TCTORNADO
Rev is a leading candidate for the Missouri State job.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2018, 01:35 PM   #70
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Has a Final Four coach ever been fired? Miller could be the first if Ayton keeps doing what he did to USC.
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2018, 01:45 PM   #71
PerennIaLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
Has a Final Four coach ever been fired? Miller could be the first if Ayton keeps doing what he did to USC.
Ayton is a man. Hadnít seen him play til last night. I see why Miller wanted to pay him $100,000. Thatís a steal at that price,
PerennIaLL is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2018, 02:37 PM   #72
Verified Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerennIaLL View Post
Ayton is a man. Hadnít seen him play til last night. I see why Miller wanted to pay him $100,000. Thatís a steal at that price,

Yep. I mean, Auburn paid $182,000 for Cam Newton, and clearly that paid off. If Arizona can go the distance with Ayton, that's 100K well spent.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2018, 05:22 PM   #73
Tacomallini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Not to mention the Branch Davidian Memorial?
had to google that to see if it was even a real thing. it is.

Last edited by Tacomallini; Mar 11, 2018 at 05:27 PM.
Tacomallini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:19 AM   #74
LBZ
Thad Matta or Tom Crean to Georgia?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...eet-thad-matta
LBZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:43 AM   #75
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
I really hope he gets it too! Go Rev!
I find this interesting. Powell left Valpo with Bryce Drew without any consideration of seeking the head coach job at Valpo. It was given to Lottich who had less experience. Actually Lottich also was chosen over longtime Valpo mainstay and retained assistant Luke Gore. Lottich and Gore were considered, Lottich was chosen, Gore stayed. Powell bolted with Drew. Now Powell is seeking out Missouri State a year later? Right before Vandy gets in their big recruits? Why now is he looking for a different MVC job when he didn't seek out one in a familiar place last year? Was he informed from the get-go that he wouldn't get the Valpo job or was there some reason he didn't want it but now views Missouri State as a better job? I know Missouri State has some of the best facilities in the MVC but other than that, I can't figure this situation out.

And I've always wondered why Luke Gore is good enough to be associate head coach and retained but not good enough for head coach after being at Valpo over a decade longer than Lottich.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote