Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

D1 Hockey at Illinois

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:05 AM   #1
illinipioneer
Results of the feasibility study launched in June 2017 indicate that there is growing excitement among the statewide hockey community to bring Division 1 hockey to Champaign.

http://WhyIlliniHockey.com
https://twitter.com/IlliniAthletics/...78053633466368
https://twitter.com/Champaign_Room/s...78157769523200

Last edited by Dan; Mar 8, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
illinipioneer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:26 AM   #2
carmelillini
Sign me up for season tickets.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:28 AM   #3
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
GET THIS DONE!

It's seriously 20+ years past due.
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
GET THIS DONE!

It's seriously 20+ years past due.
If someone forks over a boatload, it's happening. Talent-wise, we're golden. Interest-wise, maybe not golden, but good and growing.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:48 AM   #5
UofI08
Someone is really going to have to explain to me why having the facility off campus makes more sense. It seems counter intuitive. I assume that idea is mostly financially driven, making the city take a significant chunk of responsibility. Student involvement would be greatly affected. I can't see students going off campus for wrestling, volleyball, and hockey, except for some die-hards.
UofI08 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:52 AM   #6
BirdDog9048
The Chief Lives
Does this conclusion really surprise anyone?

The Chicago-area was a sleeping giant of prep hockey talent. All it took was the Blackhawks being good again, and now we're seeing the impact. It's imperative that we become the first D1 team in the state and establish ourselves with those talent pipelines before someone else does (i.e. Northwestern).

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:59 AM   #7
champaignchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofI08 View Post
Someone is really going to have to explain to me why having the facility off campus makes more sense. It seems counter intuitive. I assume that idea is mostly financially driven, making the city take a significant chunk of responsibility. Student involvement would be greatly affected. I can't see students going off campus for wrestling, volleyball, and hockey, except for some die-hards.
The proposed downtown arena is closer to where the students live and go to class that the one proposed south of the State Farm Center.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:00 AM   #8
BirdDog9048
The Chief Lives
Quote:
While the downtown site would be further for students to go than the current ice arena and Huff Hall, it is arguably just as close (or closer) a location as the proposed site south of Assembly Hall for many students, and would be surrounded by restaurants/bars rather than out in the middle of nowhere.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:04 AM   #9
FollowTisdale
Quote:
It allows Illinois to have a permanent (depending on the sweetheart lease terms) home for hockey without having to put forward the capital to build an on campus arena.

There's no way they were going to raise the money for both hockey scholarships/ equipment/ coaches AS WELL AS a $100MM arena. This option allows a private developer to take the risk on the development part, not the school.

And the Illinois volleyball & wrestling teams wouldn't be moving out of Huff, unless the crowds continue to be too large for Huff (volleyball).
FollowTisdale is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:05 AM   #10
Dan
Admin
Here's a very rough map of the 2 proposed sites, downtown & campus.

Link: https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/c/...ckey-map-a.jpg

(corrected)

Last edited by Dan; Mar 8, 2018 at 11:16 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:11 AM   #11
BirdDog9048
The Chief Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTisdale View Post

And the Illinois volleyball & wrestling teams wouldn't be moving out of Huff, unless the crowds continue to be too large for Huff (volleyball).
They should though. Huff is extremely outdated, and the facelifts they've been doing for the last decade aren't enough.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:23 AM   #12
ILL in IA
Would the off-campus arena allow for alcohol sales during the games?
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:23 AM   #13
UofI08
Thanks for the responses. I had not realized where the on-campus proposal was located.
UofI08 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:25 AM   #14
illinidadtime
The downtown three-sheet arena would be amazing. Further connect foot traffic between Campustown/Midtown to Downtown, free up the clogged ice time between Champaign Chiefs and the Illini D1/D2 Club teams (which will be great for the Chiefs youth teams, no more combined practices), and would benefit from increased year-round community usage at the downtown site. And best of all no more Dave Bagger running the show!!!
illinidadtime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:38 AM   #15
redwingillini11
The downtown idea is all about the money, but I am still ALL for it. We arenít getting a $100,000,000 check. If getting this thing built requires investment by the businesses that surround this property, then do it. As was pointed out before, this is no further away from campus than the iHotel site. Plus students will be all about walking across the street into a bar after the game rather than walking 20 minutes in the cold wind from the South Farms just to get back to the 6-pack.

I am getting my hopes up, because this is going to be awesome.
redwingillini11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:56 AM   #16
champaignchris
It could be a big boon for the community. Not just the U of I sports and public ice skating, but concerts too big for the Virginia but not big enough for State Farm, maybe minor league hockey or basketball, conventions of various stripes. Plus filling a big empty hole in between campus and downtown.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:18 PM   #17
KrushCow31
Former Krush Cow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
Would the off-campus arena allow for alcohol sales during the games?
The new hockey only facility at Notre Dame sells alcohol only to the fancy people seats where it's kind of like a bar. It's similar to how state farm is set up now. It's restricted access. So it's feasible to do.
KrushCow31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:19 PM   #18
UofI
I'm all for this as I love the downtown area of Champaign and this will ensure it continues to flourish and grow. I'm guessing in addition to hockey it will be used for concerts and events. This seems to put it in competition with the State Farm Center. So in that aspect it's a bit surprising the University isn't more interested in owning it.
UofI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:27 PM   #19
Fighter of the Nightman
That is a perfect location to further the awesome progress with Downtown-Midtown-Campustown.
Fighter of the Nightman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:29 PM   #20
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidadtime View Post
The downtown three-sheet arena would be amazing. Further connect foot traffic between Campustown/Midtown to Downtown, free up the clogged ice time between Champaign Chiefs and the Illini D1/D2 Club teams (which will be great for the Chiefs youth teams, no more combined practices), and would benefit from increased year-round community usage at the downtown site. And best of all no more Dave Bagger running the show!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingillini11 View Post
The downtown idea is all about the money, but I am still ALL for it. We arenít getting a $100,000,000 check. If getting this thing built requires investment by the businesses that surround this property, then do it. As was pointed out before, this is no further away from campus than the iHotel site. Plus students will be all about walking across the street into a bar after the game rather than walking 20 minutes in the cold wind from the South Farms just to get back to the 6-pack.

I am getting my hopes up, because this is going to be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post
It could be a big boon for the community. Not just the U of I sports and public ice skating, but concerts too big for the Virginia but not big enough for State Farm, maybe minor league hockey or basketball, conventions of various stripes. Plus filling a big empty hole in between campus and downtown.
+infinity

Really hoping it happens.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:29 PM   #21
ILL in IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrushCow31 View Post
The new hockey-only facility at Notre Dame sells alcohol only to the fancy people seats where it's kind of like a bar. It's similar to how state farm is set up now. It's restricted access. So it's feasible to do.
NDs hockey facility is on campus though correct?

I think if this was an off-campus facility, beer could be sold to everyone of legal age.
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:47 PM   #22
the national
Big Fan of this Proposal. Hope it happens!

Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:50 PM   #23
Vermilion Slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog9048 View Post
They should though. Huff is extremely outdated, and the facelifts they've been doing for the last decade aren't enough.
I feel like that is a bit of an exaggeration.

I go to Huff multiple times a year with my family and it is a really easy place to watch events. All the chairs have been replaced with modern seating and it does a great job of mixing a decent comfort level with the history and feel of the old building. The only real issue we've ever had is with parking, but that'll be an issue pretty much everywhere.

I can see them using a new arena for special events or tournaments, but I can't see them not primarily utilizing Huff for most of the volleyball, wrestling, and gymnastics for a long time to come.
Vermilion Slim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 01:19 PM   #24
TheOlafRules
Quote:
I am going to presume that you haven't been back to Champaign lately. Downtown has become much more of a draw for students than it was in the 90s and earlier. They are proposing to build this basically at the Amtrak station, which is significantly closer to the bulk of student housing/apartments than the other site. The Downtown site is a half-mile closer to Illini Union than the site proposed south of Assembly Hall. If you measure from the middle of the Champaign fraternity/sorority area (3rd and Daniel), its about a 1/3rd mile closer. And Downtown has a LOT of pre/post game restaurant/bar options, while the other site has . . . cows. I think it is smart to expand in this direction.
TheOlafRules is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 01:20 PM   #25
KrushCow31
Former Krush Cow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
NDs hockey facility is on campus though correct?

I think if this was an off-campus facility, beer could be sold to everyone of legal age.
This is true. It's just on the outskirts of campus. I could see them not wanting to sell to students though. But who knows.
KrushCow31 is offline Reply With Quote