Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2017)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 16, 2017, 04:24 PM   #501
BMo79
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTargetAcquired View Post
Does anyone have a summary of how Matic Vesel played a couple days ago?


this is just my opinion


He seems to be good at getting up and down the court, above avg. passer and ball handling for his size, does seem to have a nose for the ball when rebounding, seemed to be in the right spot even if he didn't always get the rebound. Looked to really need to get in better shape, both in putting on weight and seemed to be tired very fast. Was kind of hard to really tell a lot I thought his team played more for themselves, and other then Matic only number 15 seemed any good but I only sw the one game so who knows about that.


odds are we will need some mins from him this year, maybe if we land another big for 2018 we could let him sit out in 18 to get stronger, then turn around and do the same in 19 with who ever we land in 18


All in all I would say how good he ends up being will be mostly up to Fletch
BMo79 is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:07 PM   #502
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
this is just my opinion


He seems to be good at getting up and down the court, above avg. passer and ball handling for his size, does seem to have a nose for the ball when rebounding, seemed to be in the right spot even if he didn't always get the rebound. Looked to really need to get in better shape, both in putting on weight and seemed to be tired very fast. Was kind of hard to really tell a lot I thought his team played more for themselves, and other then Matic only number 15 seemed any good but I only sw the one game so who knows about that.


odds are we will need some mins from him this year, maybe if we land another big for 2018 we could let him sit out in 18 to get stronger, then turn around and do the same in 19 with who ever we land in 18


All in all I would say how good he ends up being will be mostly up to Fletch
Vesel turns 20 (2/25) during the upcoming season. Rather than redshirting (not ever gonna happen, IMO), we should be very happy if he's here for 3 years. He can go pro in one of many Euro leagues as soon as he feels ready. But, yes, Fletch should really improve his body and physical skills over the next few years.
Joel Goodson is online now
Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:16 PM   #503
BMo79
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Vesel turns 20 (2/25) during the upcoming season. Rather than redshirting (not ever gonna happen, IMO), we should be very happy if he's here for 3 years. He can go pro in one of many Euro leagues as soon as he feels ready. But, yes, Fletch should really improve his body and physical skills over the next few years.


Yes I know all that, and yeah I do not think he will RS, I kind of have serious doubts we see it much if ever with this staff, I get the feeling they will recruit guys to play not to sit, and who ever plays the hardest will get time.


I was just giving my honest opinion on what I took from his game, and that was all


and same could be said about every high school kid and going pro over seas
BMo79 is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:22 PM   #504
blackdog
blackdog's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Vesel turns 20 (2/25) during the upcoming season. Rather than redshirting (not ever gonna happen, IMO), we should be very happy if he's here for 3 years. He can go pro in one of many Euro leagues as soon as he feels ready. But, yes, Fletch should really improve his body and physical skills over the next few years.
Would make no sense for to come here and leave early unless he isn't getting playing time or would be an NBA player. He could sign a pro contract right now and make money immediately while working up the ranks. Instead he is putting his earnings on hold.

__________________
Representing all things DC and U of I.
Go Wizards! Beat the Bulls!
blackdog is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:42 PM   #505
Ga65
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
this is just my opinion


He seems to be good at getting up and down the court, above avg. passer and ball handling for his size, does seem to have a nose for the ball when rebounding, seemed to be in the right spot even if he didn't always get the rebound. Looked to really need to get in better shape, both in putting on weight and seemed to be tired very fast. Was kind of hard to really tell a lot I thought his team played more for themselves, and other then Matic only number 15 seemed any good but I only sw the one game so who knows about that.


odds are we will need some mins from him this year, maybe if we land another big for 2018 we could let him sit out in 18 to get stronger, then turn around and do the same in 19 with who ever we land in 18


All in all I would say how good he ends up being will be mostly up to Fletch
Agree with this. Do not see him guarding the 5 in the near term.
Ga65 is online now
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:13 PM   #506
bombayIllini
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
Would make no sense for to come here and leave early unless he isn't getting playing time or would be an NBA player. He could sign a pro contract right now and make money immediately while working up the ranks. Instead he is putting his earnings on hold.
Thought I read somewhere that his mother was interested in a school with good academics. Based on that I would think he would be here for at least 3 years - assuming he completes his degree in 3.
bombayIllini is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:34 PM   #507
PlayAZ
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618 Illini View Post
Would take all three of them right now. High flying athletes playing with emotion. Hellems has a nice looking jump shot. Okoro and EJ swat everything in sight.
Thanks for sharing. Hellems seems to have a lot of Malcom Hill mannerism with moves /step backs/etc...Okoro is a beast!
PlayAZ is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:55 PM   #508
BMo79
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618 Illini View Post
Would take all three of them right now. High flying athletes playing with emotion. Hellems has a nice looking jump shot. Okoro and EJ swat everything in sight.


I do agree if we could get all 3 right now I would take them , I watched I think all their games this weekend and if I had to only take one it would be EJ the young man just seems to have it, even the announce was in love with him all weekend long. IF some how we land EJ and Okoro in 19 we would no longer have post player needs. It truly will be fun to see what this team looks like in year 3 , 4 , and 5 of this turn around
BMo79 is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:29 PM   #509
Indy Illini Fan
Location: Indiana
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
replacing two early entrant NBA players at once

Good problem to have I suppose
Sure would boost BU's resume to recruits. Especially guards.
Indy Illini Fan is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:30 PM   #510
Indy Illini Fan
Location: Indiana
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618 Illini View Post
Would take all three of them right now. High flying athletes playing with emotion. Hellems has a nice looking jump shot. Okoro and EJ swat everything in sight.
Hellems is a plan B option. A very good one though.
Indy Illini Fan is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:31 PM   #511
Indy Illini Fan
Location: Indiana
Posts: 410
Would not count us out quite out with THT yet. Hearing some rumblings that NW not feeling as solid as they were last week, and that he may want to wait this one out a bit longer.

FWIW, I still think he winds up at NW, just not as soon as some had thought.
Indy Illini Fan is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 09:20 PM   #512
miketherevelator
miketherevelator's Avatar
Location: Aurora
Posts: 4,847
Illini in good spot for Dosunmu and Finke

UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted
WCIA 3 Sports
‏ @WCIA3sports

Peach Jam is in the books. Where do the #Illini stand with their top targets? @craigwchoate & @DPiperScout discuss. http://www.illinoishomepage.net/sports/illini/illini-in-good-spot-for-dosunmu-and-finke/766997979?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_WCIA3sports …
miketherevelator is offline
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:37 PM   #513
STLIlliniMike
Posts: 3
I much prefer THT to Finke if given the choice. It seems live we've signed quite a few recruits the last few years who were "trending" down at the end of their high school careers and it hasn't really worked out.
STLIlliniMike is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 02:30 AM   #514
Combo
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLIlliniMike View Post
I much prefer THT to Finke if given the choice. It seems live we've signed quite a few recruits the last few years who were "trending" down at the end of their high school careers and it hasn't really worked out.
I've followed recruiting for an awful long time. A strong trend I've observed is that kids who trend down in the rankings through H.S. tend to continue that trend after H.S. And kids who rise up the rankings late tend to keep improving into their college years.

Obvious this is not a science each kid is different, but everything equal, I'd rather go with the recruit that is trending up.
Combo is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:33 AM   #515
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Posts: 13,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
I do agree with your assessment of kids trends, with the idea blooming later continue into college. We have 2 sure fire guys in the fold ATM I hope will prove that to be true, Mark S and Spicy G. 2 all big ten freshman team sure would be nice to have.
Yikes, tap those brakes....
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:49 AM   #516
IlliniDent
IlliniDent's Avatar
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Yikes, tap those brakes....
Yea, maybe Smith, but not expecting much out of Ebo. Hoping he can provide about 4 pts/4 rebounds this year and play respectable defense. He has a long way to go.
IlliniDent is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:26 AM   #517
Illiniguy13
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
High hopes, he's got high hopes......��������
He will be raw & not much of a contributor this year, but I think we'll be just as excited about Ebo moving forward than any of the other young guys.... Especially if all this talk about his athleticism is true
Illiniguy13 is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:51 AM   #518
Greensboro
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
I've followed recruiting for an awful long time. A strong trend I've observed is that kids who trend down in the rankings through H.S. tend to continue that trend after H.S. And kids who rise up the rankings late tend to keep improving into their college years.

Obvious this is not a science each kid is different, but everything equal, I'd rather go with the recruit that is trending up.
I think your right about the general trend, but I personally am not as worried about Finke. I think we are a bit jaded by Shaw & DJW. Shaw developed early and then stopped, DJW was given a pass on disappearing because he was young & deferring to others. It is not like like Finke is/was a big and others are starting to catch up to him in size or he has motor/effort issues, kid just seems to be going through a confidence/shooting slump, he will be fine. He isn't the 5 star McD all american some were projecting, but he is still a solid player with very good size for a wing.
Greensboro is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:52 AM   #519
miketherevelator
miketherevelator's Avatar
Location: Aurora
Posts: 4,847
2 good pickups for Archie in two days. Race Thompson commited yesterday.

Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10
Jerome Hunter is off the board for Indiana; a great 24 hours for the new staff in Bloomington. Bring versatility and upside to IU
miketherevelator is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:52 AM   #520
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Posts: 13,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
High hopes, he's got high hopes......��������
High hopes would be 10-15 mpg and Dent's numbers above.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:59 AM   #521
LongLiveTheChief7
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniguy13 View Post
He will be raw & not much of a contributor this year, but I think we'll be just as excited about Ebo moving forward than any of the other young guys.... Especially if all this talk about his athleticism is true

We really should temper expectations for our incoming players. I would highly suggest that people take the time to let these young guys get on the court and see how they actually perform in a D-I game before surrounding them with so much hyperbole.

The only reason I say this is because there seems to be a very contagious disease going around here to hype players up as all big-ten selections when they come in, but if they happen to transfer out they're treated as if they weren't squat.

I'm as excited about Ebo as the next, especially with the quality reports coming out about him. But let's try to let him get on the floor and see how he handles things before we anoint him as a solid contributer, let alone an all big-ten freshman candidate
LongLiveTheChief7 is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:21 AM   #522
Mike
C-U Townie
Mike's Avatar
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
Obvious this is not a science each kid is different, but everything equal, I'd rather go with the recruit that is trending up.
Sure, but rankings don't mean nearly as much as most think once the number is much over 40. A kid with a high school ranking around 70 has about the same shot for being a good player as a kid ranked 200. Now a top 20 player...

__________________
ILL
Mike is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:06 PM   #523
miketherevelator
miketherevelator's Avatar
Location: Aurora
Posts: 4,847
Dang, Archie. This kid was very impressive on Meanstreets this spring/summer. That's 3 top 100 4 stars in 24 hours.
Brian Snow‏ @BSnowScout
Damezi Anderson tells me he has also committed to Indiana
miketherevelator is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:26 PM   #524
IlliniJim20
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheChief7 View Post
We really should temper expectations for our incoming players..

You must be new here

The only reason I say this is because there seems to be a very contagious disease going around here to hype players up as all big-ten selections when they come in, but if they happen to transfer out they're treated as if they weren't squat.

No wait, you know exactly how these forums work
But seriously you are right on. We just can't seem to help ourselves. Freshmen will be on the All Freshmen team, maybe even All Big Ten...

How will we find sholraships for all these payers who want to commit ...

It is the price of fandom I guess.

Great post.

__________________
IlliniJim20 is offline
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:28 PM   #525
JFG
Posts: 91
With all of the IU commits in the last 48 hours. What's everyone thinking a timeline would be for BU's first 2018 commit and prediction on who it might be. Obviously Ayo, THT, Finke have all been linked to our Illini. I will gladly take any of those 3 but I am hoping BU gets a high level big locked up early for 18.
JFG is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump