Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:09 PM   #501
ballislife17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballislife17 View Post
Is the peach jam final going to be televised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's on ESPNU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:18 PM   #502
Bailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniDent View Post
Groce constantly was in on players before they blew up. Please also, excluding Bo and Brad Stevens, who actually is good at evaluating 2 star talent who become top level players? Seriously do you realize that for every 1 or 2 of those stories there are a ton more who never make it and you never hear about again? It is such a myth that teams should be built on 2 and 3 star players- this isn't football. Bo is the one example of a coach in a top division who really was able to find players that fit his system, maybe you could add Beilein.
Beilein is the first to come to mind. He built his era on the back of Stu Douglass and Zack Novak.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:25 PM   #503
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
I get the feeling that Smith leaving would have more to do with having that degree first, so I would think he is here for at least 3 years, Ayo I would be shocked if he was here more then 2.
replacing two early entrant NBA players at once

Good problem to have I suppose

Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:33 PM   #504
618 Illini
Would take all three of them right now. High flying athletes playing with emotion. Hellems has a nice looking jump shot. Okoro and EJ swat everything in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Video from the first game yesterday when BBE beat Howard Pulley. Bradley Beal is in grey. EJ is number 12, Hellems is 21 and Okoro, 23.

Old Jul 16, 2017, 02:10 PM   #505
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Beilein is the first to come to mind. He built his era on the back of Stu Douglass and Zack Novak.
They were good role players. The third(Novak) and fifth(Douglas) leading scorers on his first NCAA team. Manny Harris and DeShawn Sims were the stars.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 04:01 PM   #506
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post

yeah it could happen, but my guess is that Smith is here for 4 years, Ayo maybe 2 but id guess 1
Old Jul 16, 2017, 04:24 PM   #507
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTargetAcquired View Post
Does anyone have a summary of how Matic Vesel played a couple days ago?

this is just my opinion

He seems to be good at getting up and down the court, above avg. passer and ball handling for his size, does seem to have a nose for the ball when rebounding, seemed to be in the right spot even if he didn't always get the rebound. Looked to really need to get in better shape, both in putting on weight and seemed to be tired very fast. Was kind of hard to really tell a lot I thought his team played more for themselves, and other then Matic only number 15 seemed any good but I only sw the one game so who knows about that.

odds are we will need some mins from him this year, maybe if we land another big for 2018 we could let him sit out in 18 to get stronger, then turn around and do the same in 19 with who ever we land in 18

All in all I would say how good he ends up being will be mostly up to Fletch
Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:07 PM   #508
Joel Goodson
Quote:
this is just my opinion

He seems to be good at getting up and down the court, above avg. passer and ball handling for his size, does seem to have a nose for the ball when rebounding, seemed to be in the right spot even if he didn't always get the rebound. Looked to really need to get in better shape, both in putting on weight and seemed to be tired very fast. Was kind of hard to really tell a lot I thought his team played more for themselves, and other then Matic only number 15 seemed any good but I only sw the one game so who knows about that.

odds are we will need some mins from him this year, maybe if we land another big for 2018 we could let him sit out in 18 to get stronger, then turn around and do the same in 19 with who ever we land in 18

Vesel turns 20 (2/25) during the upcoming season. Rather than redshirting (not ever gonna happen, IMO), we should be very happy if he's here for 3 years. He can go pro in one of many Euro leagues as soon as he feels ready. But, yes, Fletch should really improve his body and physical skills over the next few years.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:16 PM   #509
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Vesel turns 20 (2/25) during the upcoming season. Rather than redshirting (not ever gonna happen, IMO), we should be very happy if he's here for 3 years. He can go pro in one of many Euro leagues as soon as he feels ready. But, yes, Fletch should really improve his body and physical skills over the next few years.

Yes I know all that, and yeah I do not think he will RS, I kind of have serious doubts we see it much if ever with this staff, I get the feeling they will recruit guys to play not to sit, and who ever plays the hardest will get time.

I was just giving my honest opinion on what I took from his game, and that was all

and same could be said about every high school kid and going pro over seas
Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:22 PM   #510
blackdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Would make no sense for to come here and leave early unless he isn't getting playing time or would be an NBA player. He could sign a pro contract right now and make money immediately while working up the ranks. Instead he is putting his earnings on hold.

Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:42 PM   #511
Ga65
Quote:
this is just my opinion

Agree with this. Do not see him guarding the 5 in the near term.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:13 PM   #512
bombayIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
Would make no sense for to come here and leave early unless he isn't getting playing time or would be an NBA player. He could sign a pro contract right now and make money immediately while working up the ranks. Instead he is putting his earnings on hold.
Thought I read somewhere that his mother was interested in a school with good academics. Based on that I would think he would be here for at least 3 years - assuming he completes his degree in 3.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:34 PM   #513
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618 Illini View Post
Would take all three of them right now. High flying athletes playing with emotion. Hellems has a nice looking jump shot. Okoro and EJ swat everything in sight.
Thanks for sharing. Hellems seems to have a lot of Malcom Hill mannerism with moves /step backs/etc...Okoro is a beast!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:55 PM   #514
BMo79
Quote:

I do agree if we could get all 3 right now I would take them , I watched I think all their games this weekend and if I had to only take one it would be EJ the young man just seems to have it, even the announce was in love with him all weekend long. IF some how we land EJ and Okoro in 19 we would no longer have post player needs. It truly will be fun to see what this team looks like in year 3 , 4 , and 5 of this turn around
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:29 PM   #515
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post

Sure would boost BU's resume to recruits. Especially guards.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:30 PM   #516
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Hellems is a plan B option. A very good one though.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:31 PM   #517
Indy Illini Fan
Would not count us out quite out with THT yet. Hearing some rumblings that NW not feeling as solid as they were last week, and that he may want to wait this one out a bit longer.

FWIW, I still think he winds up at NW, just not as soon as some had thought.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 09:20 PM   #518
miketherevelator
Illini in good spot for Dosunmu and Finke

UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted
WCIA 3 Sports
‏ @WCIA3sports

Peach Jam is in the books. Where do the #Illini stand with their top targets? @craigwchoate & @DPiperScout discuss. http://www.illinoishomepage.net/sports/illini/illini-in-good-spot-for-dosunmu-and-finke/766997979?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_WCIA3sports …
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:37 PM   #519
STLIlliniMike
I much prefer THT to Finke if given the choice. It seems live we've signed quite a few recruits the last few years who were "trending" down at the end of their high school careers and it hasn't really worked out.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 02:30 AM   #520
Combo
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLIlliniMike View Post
I much prefer THT to Finke if given the choice. It seems live we've signed quite a few recruits the last few years who were "trending" down at the end of their high school careers and it hasn't really worked out.
I've followed recruiting for an awful long time. A strong trend I've observed is that kids who trend down in the rankings through H.S. tend to continue that trend after H.S. And kids who rise up the rankings late tend to keep improving into their college years.

Obvious this is not a science each kid is different, but everything equal, I'd rather go with the recruit that is trending up.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:33 AM   #521
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
I do agree with your assessment of kids trends, with the idea blooming later continue into college. We have 2 sure fire guys in the fold ATM I hope will prove that to be true, Mark S and Spicy G. 2 all big ten freshman team sure would be nice to have.
Yikes, tap those brakes....
Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:49 AM   #522
IlliniDent
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Yikes, tap those brakes....
Yea, maybe Smith, but not expecting much out of Ebo. Hoping he can provide about 4 pts/4 rebounds this year and play respectable defense. He has a long way to go.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:26 AM   #523
Illiniguy13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
High hopes, he's got high hopes......��������
He will be raw & not much of a contributor this year, but I think we'll be just as excited about Ebo moving forward than any of the other young guys.... Especially if all this talk about his athleticism is true
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:51 AM   #524
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
I've followed recruiting for an awful long time. A strong trend I've observed is that kids who trend down in the rankings through H.S. tend to continue that trend after H.S. And kids who rise up the rankings late tend to keep improving into their college years.

Obvious this is not a science each kid is different, but everything equal, I'd rather go with the recruit that is trending up.
I think your right about the general trend, but I personally am not as worried about Finke. I think we are a bit jaded by Shaw & DJW. Shaw developed early and then stopped, DJW was given a pass on disappearing because he was young & deferring to others. It is not like like Finke is/was a big and others are starting to catch up to him in size or he has motor/effort issues, kid just seems to be going through a confidence/shooting slump, he will be fine. He isn't the 5 star McD all american some were projecting, but he is still a solid player with very good size for a wing.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:52 AM   #525
miketherevelator
2 good pickups for Archie in two days. Race Thompson commited yesterday.

Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10
Jerome Hunter is off the board for Indiana; a great 24 hours for the new staff in Bloomington. Bring versatility and upside to IU
Closed Thread