Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:20 AM   #1176
icengineer
I think Elias V would be a fantastic get. I thought that before the latest video posted. And after watching the most recent one, I think it moreso!
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 03:54 AM   #1177
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
The more I see of this Kid the more I really like him,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVTjJ74SdOE
Kid doesn't miss a shot and seems to Finnish strong
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 04:32 AM   #1178
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllFanInMi View Post
STOP!!!!

Recruiting success IS VITALLY IMPORTANT for current season wins and losses. Not only does it generate program momentum and swag, which breeds court confidence, but it provides performance pressure on the players. Hasn't Kentucky built a dynasty based on recruiting? You don't think the UK kids playing in one year don't realize the pressure of performing with the 5* kid coming next year that could move him to the bench and out of draft lingo?

Sure, effects of recruiting impact current year performance intangibly more so than tangibly, but WITHOUT QUESTION recruiting affects that years team's wins and losses. Additionally, ticket sales, donors pockets, team confidence, energy, media discussion(recruiting), performance, and more are impacted, which move a program positively or negatively. Obviously the recruits affect a program tangibly more so in future years, but underestimating the importance of recruiting on the current years team is a mistake . Aside from the above, coaches can focus more on coaching when classes are filled. To think recruiting success or failures don't impact current performance is simply nativity to college sports.
I doubt top programs would say their recruiting efforts for next year will impact their current season success.

The real coaching abilities on and off the court will determine our success, not whether we get a given recruit. As the coaching successes evolve, we will be in a more friendly recruiting place going fwd.

I see the bragging rights game as a potential turning point if we can pull it off against a top 5 recruiting class....a "wtf" moment for future recruits looking at IL and optimism for fanbase.

BU is selling a new and fast system to play in and a staff that will get the most from each player...but we'll have to demonstrate it on the court before the fire is lit for many future recruits.

That said, if we recruit good players that want to work and learn and accept good coaching, I strongly believe we will win and over time the recruiting trail will become easier. I like that approach much better than "beg/borrow/steal some 4 and 5 stars and ride them to the promised land" (I believe thats the current Mizzou strategy, right?)
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 06:52 AM   #1179
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
I think Elias V would be a fantastic get. I thought that before the latest video posted. And after watching the most recent one, I think it moreso!
I have been watching some of his full games, and he isnt the greatest at playing D, but he does play D most of the time guarding a taller player. He looks like another one who needs some Fletch time, but he can dribble some, jump some, shoot some, play D some, I will watch a few more games after the Illini play today, but from what I have seen he is a good all around player, if he is really 6-6 all the better
BMo79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 07:00 AM   #1180
illiniguy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
I have been watching some of his full games, and he isnt the greatest at playing D, but he does play D most of the time guarding a taller player. He looks like another one who needs some Fletch time, but he can dribble some, jump some, shoot some, play D some, I will watch a few more games after the Illini play today, but from what I have seen he is a good all around player, if he is really 6-6 all the better

I thought he was 6'4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 07:13 AM   #1181
JoeJ
Someone else said we still have all of our top targets. We still have top target, but not all of. Hopefully the class eventually shapes up to be good or better.

Looking forward to BUs 1st year on the court. Using my Rutger's ticket as a bookmark, seems like that was years ago. Another month to go before we see the product on the court.

No foretelling included with chief pic.

Last edited by Dan; Oct 7, 2017 at 07:29 AM.
JoeJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 07:29 AM   #1182
Dan
Admin
#Illini ‘19 bball rec. 6’9” Francis Okoro visiting ILL today: I'm excited can't wait to see what it looks like & they just got a new coach.
https://twitter.com/KedPrince4/statu...45536790466562
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 07:59 AM   #1183
skyIdub
Here is a cool article I found on European growth plates.

https://thehague/europeanstudy/growth
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:13 AM   #1184
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post

lol
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:25 AM   #1185
iLL 89ers
1st time poster

Long time reader / 1st time poster (grt8 board IMO by the way),,finally decided to join the family and passionate Illinois fan base.
iLL 89ers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:41 AM   #1186
arew
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post

arew is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:47 AM   #1187
arew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibatt View Post
These Chicago kids picking Iowa State over Illinois are crazy. End of story. There's no comparison.
Are they though?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:49 AM   #1188
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLL 89ers View Post
Long time reader / 1st time poster (grt8 board IMO by the way),,finally decided to join the family and passionate Illinois fan base.
Welcome - so, what's your take on potential Illini recruits?

Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:56 AM   #1189
JiroDreamsOfMcRibs
Equal Opportunity Alcoholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibatt View Post
These Chicago kids picking Iowa State over Illinois are crazy. End of story. There's no comparison.
Last 6 years
NCAA Appearances
Iowa State 6
Illinois 1

NCAA wins
Iowa State 7
Illinois 1

S16s
Iowa State 2
Illinois 0

Conference Tourney Championships
Iowa State 3
Illinois 0

Conference Record
Iowa State 68-40
Illinois 43-65

You are correct, no comparison at all.
JiroDreamsOfMcRibs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:57 AM   #1190
RichBradIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
2005 was an epic recruiting failure. Absolutely epic. When you combine with the 2006 class and consider that those classes came in the midst of our 2005 run, it's incredible to see that we winded up with 2 classes consisting of Jamar Smith, Chester Frazier, Charles Jackson, Richard Semrau, and Brian Carlwell.

The whiffs that I can recall (starting with 2005 and then going into 2006):

Julian Wright
Luke Zeller
Byron Eaton
Jamont Gordon
Austin Jackson
Jovan Adams
Devan Downey
Chris Douglas Roberts
Leo Criswell
Jared Carter
Jamal Boykin
Rashad Woods
Andre McGee
Abdul Herrera
Sherron Collins
Jon Scheyer
Duke Crews
Ramar Smith
Willie Kemp
Derrick Jasper
Scottie Reynolds
Jerry Smith
Eugene Harvey
Marques Johnson
Bryce Webster

Good times.
The UI sports memory recall of some of you guys on this board is astounding.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:59 AM   #1191
arew
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroDreamsOfMcRibs View Post
You are correct, no comparison at all.
Not to mention they've finished the season ranked the past four years.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 09:02 AM   #1192
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy24 View Post
I thought he was 6'4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hes listed 65-66 depending on where you look. I like him as much as Nolley based on the clips around here. Extra points for being a bit taller. Solid option after missing on Nolley IMO. BMo said hes been watching full games, so Im interested in his take after seeing more. With Euros I think the shooting is expected because of the style of play, but he also seems to have some slash to his game. Looks like a player with a well rounded base set of skills, but room to grow.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 09:08 AM   #1193
iLL 89ers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Welcome - so, what's your take on potential Illini recruits?
Thank you for the welcome.
I just want the ones the coaches really think fit into what they our looking for into their mold they want,,,and recruits that really want to be a Illini` and be here because a great school and help the basketball rise-up.
Really like our team this year ,but recruiting wise I think we our set from positions 1-3,for next couple years(love our guards & wings)think we really need a big for sure .But of course you don`t tell Ayo or Horton no if they wanna be here,,,think this next years team will surprise and recruits will come spring time IMHO
GO
Old Oct 7, 2017, 09:13 AM   #1194
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Kaufman View Post
Thus far, no commitments from the young men targeted from the class of 2018. Castleton to Michigan, Nolly to Iowa State. Getting two of the following (Ayo, THT, Finke, Ramey) is a must to keep things moving in the right direction. I speculate Ayo is the most likely to commit, THT seems to have interest elsewhere, one would think Finke would be a lock but he's not and Ramey's new to the game after de-committing from the cheaters at Louisville.
We have no chance for Ramey. And that's OK. As good as he is (outstanding), we're good at PG.

Go long on the Finn.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 09:37 AM   #1195
arew
As a reminder...

Old Oct 7, 2017, 09:37 AM   #1196
Illiniguy13
This Voltenan kid looks like everything we had hoped Tim Finke would be.
Illiniguy13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 09:41 AM   #1197
Jeffcobrad
I'm not worried. Other than Ayo and THT these other recruits were guys that would have been recruited over starting in '19. There is enough young talent to have some misses this year. Let the season play out then if recruiting is still the same then we can be concerned. I have a feeling this will all be a blip on the radar. #WeWillWin
Jeffcobrad is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 09:43 AM   #1198
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniguy13 View Post
This Voltenan kid looks like everything we had hoped Tim Finke would be.
Not sure about the effect of his injury, but before that, he led his team against some really good international competition at U17 (including Ignas and RJ Barrett, who also had a great tournament back then). Kid can play.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:02 AM   #1199
iLL 89ers
Quote:
Originally Posted by arew View Post
As a reminder...

Old Oct 7, 2017, 01:49 PM   #1200
winthiscentury
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLL 89ers View Post
Ahhh, nothing like taking the fun away from the most important guy in the equation....the kid.

Between parents, fans, AAU coaches and social media....they literally take the joy away from these young men.

Not sure why the mother felt the need to go on the attack publicly? Not sure of the benefit. If some buffoon is putting bogus stuff on Twitter, as long as it isn't disparaging, let it go.

It's a shame that this is what recruiting has come to. This should be a joyous, fun, once in a lifetime experience for these young men. To have mom going on a rant.....that doesn't seem like so much fun.
winthiscentury is offline Reply With Quote