https://twitter.com/The__Future11/st...96466035933184
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 04:46 PM   #202
PJD86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Isn't 192 considered project range?

https://scout.com/college/basketball...nard-110939396

looks like more of a late bloomer in my opinion, has some interest from some good schools, don't know too much about him.
PJD86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 05:14 PM   #203
Verified Insider
Quote:
Interestingly, both Nate Mason and Jordan Murphy were similarly ranked coming out of HS. I'd love to have either of those guys.

The lower the ranking, the lesser the probability the kid becomes a stud at the next level (generally speaking). But there are a whole lot of really, really good college players that were ranked in that ballpark. If you find one that really fits what you're looking to do, go for it.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 05:33 PM   #204
PlayAZ
Quote:
I thought the reference towards "project" was meant for a big only...with our guards a project 1-2 or 2-3 would not be an issue but with class balance what it is....meh?
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 06:47 PM   #205
carmelillini
We need bigs. Bad.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 07:07 PM   #206
aluma
This is an odd offer to me. With Frazier, Smith, Lucas, Williams, and Ayo, shooting guard (especially a late bloomer 3 star) was the last position I thought we would offer.
aluma is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 07:45 PM   #207
PJD86
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluma View Post
This is an odd offer to me. With Frazier, Smith, Lucas, Williams, and Ayo, shooting guard (especially a late bloomer 3 star) was the last position I thought we would offer.

agreed unless he is a deadeye 3 point shooter which we sorely lack. Then I take a chance. Haven't seen enough to know if he fits, just saw he is a scorer
PJD86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 07:47 PM   #208
CoalCity
Need another shotmaker. He seems to fill the bill. Betting the staff thinks there may be a transfer or two after this season as well. There usually are.
CoalCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 07:51 PM   #209
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
Interestingly, both Nate Mason and Jordan Murphy were similarly ranked coming out of HS. I'd love to have either of those guys.

The lower the ranking, the lesser the probability the kid becomes a stud at the next level (generally speaking). But there are a whole lot of really, really good college players that were ranked in that ballpark. If you find one that really fits what you're looking to do, go for it.
Haha, weren't you the top 100 list guy?? Oh well 192 is close enough.
Cousinard has already graduated HS in East Gary where he averaged 29 ppg. He's a fifth year prep guy sort of like what Pickett is doing.

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Jan 8, 2018 at 07:59 PM.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:36 PM   #210
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
Saw a few Montverde Academy basketball players getting on the tram at the Orlando airport about an hour ago. Must have been coming from a tourney. Based on height they were all bigs. Anyone from there we're recruiting?

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
We are now.
Indy Illini Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:37 PM   #211
Illini Beer 4 All
Quote:
Cousinard has already graduated HS in East Gary where he averaged 29 ppg. He's a fifth year prep guy sort of like what Pickett is doing.
Is he a starter on Montverde

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Illini Beer 4 All is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:40 PM   #212
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluma View Post
They want a wing, BU has said it multiple times. Plus it doesn't hurt that this kid is tough as nails.

With Tevian Jones looking like a long shot, this offer doesn't surprise me.

Going to have to try and beat out Martin and SC for him though. Recently took an OV there.
Indy Illini Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 09:05 PM   #213
TCTORNADO
Couisnard=MacIrvin Fire guy might help explain things.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 09:51 PM   #214
IllFanInMi
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
We need bigs. Bad.
+ Infinity!

Itís so painfully obvious how we need the 6í9 - 6í10Ē strong and athletic, or post savvy guys that are littered throughout the B10. Man would LeRon be even better with just one of them to play off from. Finke could focus his minutes where heís better suited. Imo, Finkes 3 shooting would be much better if not asked to expend energy where heís not cut out for.

I was all over this board earlier saying how we need more than Ayo to have a truly successful class that translates into being a tournament team, or better. We are primed to have tremendous guards next year (assuming most stay), but thatís not enough at this level. Man do we need to find at least one B10 ready Big for 2018.

Flo Thanba please?? We are in his final 4, heís said to be announcing next week, and itís been crickets on him here, shocking to me based on how this board roles. I get the Okoro, Liddel hype and hope, but theyíre a long way off and probably longish shots; Iím not that patient, nor willing to be meh about the Illini for 3 more years on hope.

Bigs now please!
IllFanInMi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:08 PM   #215
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
We need bigs. Bad.
Is a 6'7" double/double machine big enough??
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:11 PM   #216
blmillini
Quote:
Is a 6'7" double/double machine big enough??
No
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:22 PM   #217
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
No
Not even for a year until your buddy gets here.?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:07 AM   #218
Verified Insider
Quote:

I was the "top-100 guy", but I also don't believe that talent suddenly disappears beginning with #101.

The odds of being a good college player are higher the higher a kid is ranked. But it's hardly a fool-proof system. Scouting the right player is just as important as going after a kid because of their ranking.

I don't know much about this kid. But if he's a good outside shooter, if he's athletic, and if he defends......well, that's what BU is looking for.
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:55 AM   #219
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllFanInMi View Post
+ Infinity!

It’s so painfully obvious how we need the 6’9 - 6’10” strong and athletic, or post savvy guys that are littered throughout the B10. Man would LeRon be even better with just one of them to play off from. Finke could focus his minutes where he’s better suited. Imo, Finkes 3 shooting would be much better if not asked to expend energy where he’s not cut out for.

I was all over this board earlier saying how we need more than Ayo to have a truly successful class that translates into being a tournament team, or better. We are primed to have tremendous guards next year (assuming most stay), but that’s not enough at this level. Man do we need to find at least one B10 ready Big for 2018.

Flo Thanba please?? We are in his final 4, he’s said to be announcing next week, and it’s been crickets on him here, shocking to me based on how this board roles. I get the Okoro, Liddel hype and hope, but they’re a long way off and probably longish shots; I’m not that patient, nor willing to be meh about the Illini for 3 more years on hope.

Bigs now please!
Flo probably isn’t going to happen. As reported by Derek Piper and a few others, the staff has cooled on him. Additionally, he might be physically strong enough to play in the Big Ten, but that doesn’t not mean he has the skills or experience to be effective year one.

Being in the top 5 for Okoro does not make us long shots.
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 06:25 AM   #220
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
Flo probably isn’t going to happen. As reported by Derek Piper and a few others, the staff has cooled on him. Additionally, he might be physically strong enough to play in the Big Ten, but that doesn’t not mean he has the skills or experience to be effective year one.
The problem with that reporting, other then the obvious preemptive "we did not want him anyway," is that we obviously need major help in the post right now, and it is a hard case to make that some of the existing players at C on our roster are better than Flo. Also a doubtful case, that we will find a better C/post type player in the Spring or 5th year market who we will have a better chance to sign.

Quote:
Being in the top 5 for Okoro does not make us long shots.
I may have honestly missed it, but I do not believe Okoro has announced a top 5. We are "expected" to be in his top 5, at a later point in this recruitment.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 06:28 AM   #221
Love the Illini
Odds of getting a big freshman next year that can contribute immediately is not very good as bigs usually take longer to develop than perimeter players due to often needing to gain weight and strength to compete at the college level. Our best bet to get immediate inside help for next year is through the 5th year transfer route or one of our current players continuing to develop.
Love the Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 07:55 AM   #222
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
The problem with that reporting, other then the obvious preemptive "we did not want him anyway," is that we obviously need major help in the post right now, and it is a hard case to make that some of the existing players at C on our roster are better than Flo. Also a doubtful case, that we will find a better C/post type player in the Spring or 5th year market who we will have a better chance to sign.

I may have honestly missed it, but I do not believe Okoro has announced a top 5. We are "expected" to be in his top 5, at a later point in this recruitment.
Isn’t it possible that as the staff has spent time developing Matic and Greg that they did not want another project or are you assuming that this particular 3 star who started playing basketball about 5 years ago is going to see meaningful playing time as a freshman? For comparison sake, Meyers was a top 30 player by most services and played less than 10 minutes per game as a freshmen as did Egwu and Mav Morgan.

You are correct regarding Okoro. He mentioned this to a writer and then that writer reported the conversation.
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 08:37 AM   #223
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo79 View Post
I could see Lucas transferring out after this year with Ayo coming in. That would open up a spot for a shooter and Couisnard looks the part.
I would be very surprised if Lucas went anywhere. Ayo being here doesn't mean there isn't plenty of room for them on the same court and plenty of run for both. Underwood has been very complimentary of Lucas and his ability to run the team and has encourage him to take on more leadership. That doesn't seem like the kind of guy headed to a transfer.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 08:45 AM   #224
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
Isn¬’t it possible that as the staff has spent time developing Matic and Greg that they did not want another project or are you assuming that this particular 3 star who started playing basketball about 5 years ago is going to see meaningful playing time as a freshman? For comparison sake, Meyers was a top 30 player by most services and played less than 10 minutes per game as a freshmen as did Egwu and Mav Morgan
Anything is possible, but I will try to answer the different aspects.

On Matic, I am probably one of the very few who watched all his games at the European championships last summer, and IMO he is not a post player. He is more of a Finke type of player, and I thought he was very raw and unlikely to help early on (was criticized at he time, but based on minutes this season people can reach their own conclusion now). Now, many people also argued with me that Finke was a post player, we recruited a PF and a C appeared on campus, the center of the future, etc. etc. but that is another point.

Now, on Meyers, you are correct, but the same comparison could be made for Okoro as well (pretty much same ranking). Yet everyone thinks he will log major minutes, so you are pointing to a comparison that points in a different direction. But timing is also an issue. By the time Okoro steps on campus, Black and Finke are also gone. So you do not only have to address the immediate current need, but you will have even a bigger gap, and you will need additional help (the same argument against freshmen applies). The 5th year will not help you there, and the development of Flo can also pay dividends not only next year, but also longer term when Black and Finke graduate.

I have seen Flo. Not an immediate difference maker, but IMO a player who could help in the post next year and a potential post player with definite impact in later years. Just bear in mind that the gap in the post gets bigger when Black graduates. So I do not really buy that "we do not want Flo" talk, especially with the scarcity of big post players with size, and the current gaps in our roster. JMO.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 09:12 AM   #225
Dan
Admin
Valdir Manuel is a 6-8, 210-pound Class of 2018 three-star forward. #Illini
https://twitter.com/srrichey/status/950743690741538817

"I will take [visits] to Illinois, New Mexico and Rhode Island after my high school season," @patrickschool big man @valdir_ngule
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...41099160702977
Dan is offline Reply With Quote