Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

12/3 John Groce press conference

Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Audio: First Word With John Groce 12-03-12

http://www.wdws.com/audio/2012-12-03...-12-03-12.html

Last edited by Dan; Dec 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley

Quote:
Groce: Team got Thursday off, non-contact day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday "practiced really hard and did a good job."

Groce: I think (the break) allowed them to get their minds and bodies back right. Allowed them to focus on academics too

Groce: WCU Larry Hunter used to be coach at Ohio, coached Dustin Ford, have some familiarity with them.

Groce: WCU is experienced. "It will be challenging for sure." Expect to see mostly man-to-man and some zone.

Groce: ran zone for 19 possessions vs. Ga Tech, it "charted out well." Didn't think they'd play it that much, more of a feel thing

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Quote:
Groce: Got to quite a few things on his checklist for team during long stretch with no games. Made some strides.

Groce: Focused on getting the players some rest after playing so many games

Groce: WCU is an older team, lost to Davidson in Southern Conference championship game last season.

Groce: Got to get Abrams playing better, got to get Myke Henry locked in.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG

Last edited by Dan; Dec 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce: Got to get Abrams playing better, Henry needs to get more locked in, Egwu played better vs. Ga Tech. Langford making progress

Groce: will use zone "as they see fit." Could use as a change-up. "It's certainly something we practice." Team's secondary defense

Groce: Abrams a competitive kid, but his hardest critic. Wants to play perfect, but it's not a game of perfect. Has to let go of bad plays

Groce: Egwu needs to slow down a bit on offense. Wants to do so well, but plays too fast. "Not getting too anxious." Works tail off

Groce: Egwu needs to get stronger obviously, but he'll get there. "He likes to lift." Skills are developing. "Just needs to play."

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Quote:
Groce: Older guys have been most consistent. Mike Shaw has had a couple good days of practice.

Groce: Langford continuing to grow,developing, taking care of the ball, rebounding well. Need to fine-tune defense.

Groce: Will use zone when sees fit. Man-to-man is their primary defense. Zone was effective against Georgia Tech.

Groce: Abrams is his hardest critic and he wants to be perfect. Basketball is not a game of perfect.

Groce: Egwu needs to slow down a bit on offense, wants to do well so badly. Works his tail off. Needs to understand speed.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG

Last edited by Dan; Dec 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:33 PM   #4
zoggle101
I saw a clip from an interview and this might be it last night on the news.

Groce stated that BP is letting the coachIng staff manage him at an "elite level". I loved that wording. Coach is the man. A bonus was BP accepting that and saying some humbling things. Groce complemented BP on being able to take contructive criticism during film session when he apparently made Paul the center of attention,

FWIW I was frustrated with Paul at times in he Maui because Sam was working his butt off setting screens that BP failed to use. Anyone know or think that is a ploy to run the other teams big ragged. Seriously, having to chase a high ball screen three or four times will take it out of front court players and I'm wondering if coaches do this at any level? I could imagine with bigs with little endurance if you do this a couple times a game that it's going to help make them less effective.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:36 PM   #5
JimmyChitwood
Groce is so dialed in. It's awesome.
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:37 PM   #6
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Wants to play perfect, but it's not a game of perfect. Has to let go of bad plays
[Straining to hold back a Weber comment]

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:02 PM   #7
ComplementaryColors
I'm continually amazed at how much I agree with Coach Groce's philosophy. "Basketball's not a game of perfect."

Statements like that help to free our players from tightness and indecision and a deer-in-the-headlights type of play on the court.
ComplementaryColors is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:04 PM   #8
ComplementaryColors
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. In fact I typed something up with his name then thought naahhhh, not this again. But you can't help but see the obvious stark contrast. It's like night and day.
ComplementaryColors is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Letswinagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post

Congratulations on your success!!
Letswinagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce zones in on Illini defense

On Monday, as Illinois prepares to host Western Carolina Tuesday night, Groce confirmed that Illinois stayed in its zone for 19 possessions in that game, or about 25 percent (maybe more) of the game.

Best of all, he liked what he saw and although he wouldn't say where or when, he said fans can expect to see more zone in the future.

"It was good," he said of Illinois' proficiency in the zone. "It charted out well. We knew we were going to play it some during the game, but I didn't know we would play it that much.

"It was more of a feel thing, but it was pretty effective during the game and as we continued to chart it, we stayed with it."

Tupper
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I saw a clip from an interview and this might be it last night on the news.

Groce stated that BP is letting the coachIng staff manage him at an "elite level". I loved that wording. Coach is the man. A bonus was BP accepting that and saying some humbling things. Groce complemented BP on being able to take contructive criticism during film session when he apparently made Paul the center of attention,

FWIW I was frustrated with Paul at times in he Maui because Sam was working his butt off setting screens that BP failed to use. Anyone know or think that is a ploy to run the other teams big ragged. Seriously, having to chase a high ball screen three or four times will take it out of front court players and I'm wondering if coaches do this at any level? I could imagine with bigs with little endurance if you do this a couple times a game that it's going to help make them less effective.
It also takes the opposing big out of his comfort zone and will lead him to be out of position more often than not. It can cause the other team to have be on the money with their defensive help rotations and not make mistakes with them.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:37 PM   #12
deadpool81
i'm glad we're going to keep using the zone, i thought it was very effective at times against GT. That being said, did anyone else think it looked like we had a very tough time getting defensive boards while playing zone?
deadpool81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:41 PM   #13
stlrunner
jakeyjakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
It also takes the opposing big out of his comfort zone and will lead him to be out of position more often than not. It can cause the other team to have be on the money with their defensive help rotations and not make mistakes with them.
Is it me, or does Egwu seem to get stuck out on the perimeter on a defensive mismatch more often than I'd prefer to see?
stlrunner is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:09 PM   #14
WizardBill
Illini optimist
You know what is cool? We have this coach who, like really gets it!

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:26 PM   #15
Dan
Admin

Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:35 PM   #16
2005ILLINIWHITESOX
So I heard Groce has a talk show today, anyone have a link to that?
2005ILLINIWHITESOX is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:53 PM   #17
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool81 View Post
i'm glad we're going to keep using the zone, i thought it was very effective at times against GT. That being said, did anyone else think it looked like we had a very tough time getting defensive boards while playing zone?
I actually thought we rebounded out of the zone extremely well vs GT.
PeoriaChief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:37 AM   #18
TruIllini89
Quote:
It's always tougher to rebound when you're in a zone vs man, each player has to find someone to box out and hope their not each trying to box out the same player.
TruIllini89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:56 AM   #19
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Rebounding out of a zone is always an issue. It's tougher to find a man to block out and it leaves gaps for the offense to exploit.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »