Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3051
IlliniByProxy
Maybe I'm looking at the situation wrong, but I think signing Tate sealed our fate with Ulis. My guess is Coach Groce is looking for a much more skiled pg. Tate probably won't be a major contributor until he is a junior. If you take Ulis you are in the same boat as Tate. Down the line he may be a quality pg, but he won't contribute early. I think Groce has added his quality depth and is now looking for a major contributor. Sometimes it's not about IF the kid is good enough, it's about if he fits into the roster.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3052
BigTenChamp87
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
Pressey is an incredible player, but I think what helps him as well is that when he drives, he has multiple extremely large and talented big men to dish to. Illinois does not. Therefore, I'm of the opinion that unless we're getting a bona fide stud at PG like Lyle, a guy like Alexander or Okafor would be much more beneficial. Assuming we could get those guys of course
I think that will be Nnanna by his senior season, Ulis' fresh season. Also, if Morgan is as advertised, it may be him as well.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:20 AM   #3053
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
Maybe I'm looking at the situation wrong, but I think signing Tate sealed our fate with Ulis. My guess is Coach Groce is looking for a much more skiled pg. Tate probably won't be a major contributor until he is a junior. If you take Ulis you are in the same boat as Tate. Down the line he may be a quality pg, but he won't contribute early. I think Groce has added his quality depth and is now looking for a major contributor. Sometimes it's not about IF the kid is good enough, it's about if he fits into the roster.
+infinity. 13 rides overall and we're very tight in '14. We have higher priorities right now. That said, if those don't pan out, we could do a lot worse than adding Ulis. And, FWIW, I think Ulis is a better PG than Austin (offensively, defensively the nod clearly goes to Austin). Ulis may be (or end up) better than Tate, but we needed a '13 PG.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3054
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
Maybe I'm looking at the situation wrong, but I think signing Tate sealed our fate with Ulis. My guess is Coach Groce is looking for a much more skiled pg. Sometimes it's not about IF the kid is good enough, it's about if he fits into the roster.
I think I tend to agree, Proxy. If Groce decided to go after Ulis I would be okay with it. I wasn't at one time -- his size is a big worry -- but we desperately need legitimate ball handlers.

But when you sign Jaylon Tate, you are adding him as insurance. He's a very good ball handler but he is not a B1G-level starter. You sign Jaylon Tate hoping you can sign a guy like Lyle -- combo guard or not -- not a guy like Ulis.

That's my take anyway. Not claiming it's what Groce is thinking.

Don't get me wrong. I like having Tate on the roster. He can help next season. We will be in desperate need of someone who can control the ball. But we need a stud as our primary ball handler, whether it be a PG, combo or point-forward.

I am ignoring my own advice and holding out hope we can somehow nab both Lyle and Alexander. Adding those 2 guys makes us instant Final Four contenders.

Lyle
Nunn
Hill
Egwu
Alexander

That would be one hell of a starting lineup, with guys like Abrams, Tate, Rice, Colbert, Morgan, Henry, Langford, and Finke coming off the bench.

I am obviously making some assumptions. If we somehow got Lyle and Alexander (lol) I assume it means a couple guys would leave and 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores would start ahead of some seniors. But it doesn't matter what the actual starting lineup is. I'm not convinced Egwu will ever be as good as we hope. It wouldn't shock me to see Henry or Colbert starting ahead of him.

Okay, back to reality.

Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3055
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
If Hill can stay healthy and bulk up, he should be a pretty killer player by his junior year.
I'm starting to think he can be a killer by his soph season after JB leaves.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3056
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
According to the Iowa Rivals guy, Ulis does not have an offer from Iowa yet. Austin does, though. UIC has offered Ulis.
Strange. I was sitting next to McCaffery when he stated he would take "the Ulis kid" right now.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:29 AM   #3057
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyIllini View Post
Heading out to the Proviso West tourney...willing to give everyone a report on Jalen Brunson.
We'll look forward to that, Liberty. This kid sounds like a winner that we'd like to get. A lefty DWill....I'm in!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:29 AM   #3058
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Strange. I was sitting next to McCaffery when he stated he would take "the Ulis kid" right now.
I think Ulis is terribly underrated by the Illinois fanbase.

Austin isn't a lone wolf. He needs talent around him to be effective. Which he would have at Illinois, but Ulis can create for himself, and that's what Groce had in DJ Cooper, which is why I'm a little surprised Ulis didn't get the offer before Austin.

On another note, even if Illinois doesn't get C. Matthews in 2015, Glynn Watson is a pretty good second choice at PG. Both are very good. Watson isn't as elite as Matthews at this point, but he's still a guy I would have no problem with if he was my PG.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:37 AM   #3059
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
I think Ulis is terribly underrated by the Illinois fanbase.

Austin isn't a lone wolf. He needs talent around him to be effective. Which he would have at Illinois, but Ulis can create for himself, and that's what Groce had in DJ Cooper, which is why I'm a little surprised Ulis didn't get the offer before Austin.

On another note, even if Illinois doesn't get C. Matthews in 2015, Glynn Watson is a pretty good second choice at PG. Both are very good. Watson isn't as elite as Matthews at this point, but he's still a guy I would have no problem with if he was my PG.
I like Ulis, but he must be underrated by most of the high major teams in the country.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3060
Kramer116
https://twitter.com/Finke_Michael

Quote:
I hate to lose. Let me repeat.. I hate to lose. Hate that feeling in your stomach after a loss knowing u were better than them. #frustrated
From yesterday, but good to see/hear from Finke.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:30 AM   #3061
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenChamp87 View Post
I think a better analogy is Pressey at Mizzou ( the 5'10" guy who was single-handedly the difference maker against us in the Bragging Rights game). Ulis will be able to play in a high major conference. He has an offer from Iowa and hope that does not come back to haunt us.
Sorry my point wasn't to compare him to dee in terms of style but instead in terms of situation. Dee was a fantastic college player but never really made it to much at the next level. Ullis is a great high school player but many people haven't bought in that he will transfer that well to the next level. I'm not saying whether he can or can't, just that that is clearly his issue. It's one thing to dominate in hs but with obvious flaws such as height. He may not be able to play good defense or shoot over people and he may get lost in the much larger big men when he drives. Then again he may be ableto do all of these. It's just that there is clearly a disconnect between what he can do and what coaches seem to think he can do at the next level
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:01 AM   #3062
Dan
Admin
Yesterday-
Quote:
Austin is really good on the break. Another dish for him. Then another..

Lanphier wins, 63-53. Game was closer than that. They were about +18 with Austin on the floor.

http://twiter.com/Sturdy32
Today-
Quote:
Another solid game for LArry Austin this morning. 15 points, 7 assists and 6 rebounds as Lanphier beats Richwoods.

http://twiter.com/Sturdy32
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:22 AM   #3063
Madturkillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yesterday-
Today-
Those are true PG numbers.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:53 AM   #3064
Psycho 86
King Monkey Nut
Larry Austin is shooting 57% from the free throw line this year.

Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:02 PM   #3065
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho 86 View Post
Larry Austin is shooting 57% from the free throw line this year.
I would say that's NOT a good line from a PG.

Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3066
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Did he slam a chair when he said that?

Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3067
carmelillini
Heading to the North Central tounament this afternoon to catch Hyron Edwards play for East Chicago. Need to find the Orange wind shirt.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3068
SummerofGeorge
Hmmmm, so many options today. Cliff at 4:00 in Pontiac, Finke at 4:30 in B/N, LA playing against a good Washington team at 6:30, and the Simeon boys in Pontiac at 7:30. What shall I do???
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3069
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerofGeorge View Post
Hmmmm, so many options today. Cliff at 4:00 in Pontiac, Finke at 4:30 in B/N, LA playing against a good Washington team at 6:30, and the Simeon boys in Pontiac at 7:30. What shall I do???
Well if you go to Pontiac, you can kill two birds with one stone....
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:01 PM   #3070
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I think I tend to agree, Proxy. If Groce decided to go after Ulis I would be okay with it. I wasn't at one time -- his size is a big worry -- but we desperately need legitimate ball handlers.

But when you sign Jaylon Tate, you are adding him as insurance. He's a very good ball handler but he is not a B1G-level starter. You sign Jaylon Tate hoping you can sign a guy like Lyle -- combo guard or not -- not a guy like Ulis.

That's my take anyway. Not claiming it's what Groce is thinking.

Don't get me wrong. I like having Tate on the roster. He can help next season. We will be in desperate need of someone who can control the ball. But we need a stud as our primary ball handler, whether it be a PG, combo or point-forward.

I am ignoring my own advice and holding out hope we can somehow nab both Lyle and Alexander. Adding those 2 guys makes us instant Final Four contenders.

Lyle
Nunn
Hill
Egwu
Alexander

That would be one hell of a starting lineup, with guys like Abrams, Tate, Rice, Colbert, Morgan, Henry, Langford, and Finke coming off the bench.

I am obviously making some assumptions. If we somehow got Lyle and Alexander (lol) I assume it means a couple guys would leave and 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores would start ahead of some seniors. But it doesn't matter what the actual starting lineup is. I'm not convinced Egwu will ever be as good as we hope. It wouldn't shock me to see Henry or Colbert starting ahead of him.

Okay, back to reality.
Unless one of them transfers, if Abrams, Henry and Rice are all coming off the bench as seniors, I think its safe to say we will be very, very good.

Having said that, it would also be shocking.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3071
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
That is what I was thinking but I have not seen Finke play yet. I think I will hit that game and then to Pontiac for Simeon game.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:13 PM   #3072
BigTenChamp87
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Presuming the team made the trip to Chicago today, would like to see coach get out to the Dipper to check out Ulis for himself. It's only 30 minutes south of downtown; coach drove over an hour to see Austin when the team was in St Louis.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:21 PM   #3073
BigTenChamp87
Banned
Quote:
Can't remember where I saw it, but Ulis reports that he has two high major offers: DePaul and Iowa. His recruiting will heat up after the summer evaluation period, mark my word.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:29 PM   #3074
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Belleville East beats Decatur MacArthur 63-50 as Malcolm Hill pumps home 34 points to give him 106 in last three. #618hoops

http://twitter.com/DavidMWilhelm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3075
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Quote:
Belleville East beats Decatur MacArthur 63-50 as Malcolm Hill pumps home 34 points to give him 106 in last three. #618hoops

http://twitter.com/DavidMWilhelm
The kid is lighting it up.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »