Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

2012-13 Illini Women's Basketball Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Women's Basketball Schedule
Quote:
Check out our 2012-13 schedule poster! #Illini #Illinois #Chambana #B1G http://twitpic.com/b8mbax

http://twitter.com/IlliniWBB
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
jenkila
Nice outing by the women last night! Impressed with Coach Bollant and his staff already! Nice to see someone actually instructing, teaching, and correcting... not to mention a renewed enthusiasm from the players! Great showing by Smith, Crawford, Penn, and Piper! Magrum seemed a little out of sync, but no concerns! Things are looking up for Illini Women's Hoops! Hooray!
jenkila is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:48 PM   #3
2old2remember
Ever since the Bollant hire was announced, I have been telling anyone that would listen that this was a brilliant hire. Ask anyone in Madison. Badgers fans wanted him, but the school wanted a female coach for the women's team. I understand how some would feel strongly about that, but my view is always to get the best available person for whatever position you are filling. Thomas has hired a winner in Bollant and I'm expecting we will see more wins and better crowds very soon.
2old2remember is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4
gibb52
IMO the xtra long and baggy shorts that look bad on most of the guys look even worse on the girls. I don't recommend playing in bikini bottoms but those shorts almost look like skirts.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Larken24
It makes you wonder if Bollant could build something special here at Illinois
Larken24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:35 PM   #6
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2remember View Post
Ever since the Bollant hire was announced, I have been telling anyone that would listen that this was a brilliant hire. Ask anyone in Madison. Badgers fans wanted him, but the school wanted a female coach for the women's team. I understand how some would feel strongly about that, but my view is always to get the best available person for whatever position you are filling. Thomas has hired a winner in Bollant and I'm expecting we will see more wins and better crowds very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larken24 View Post
It makes you wonder if Bollant could build something special here at Illinois
Prediction: Bollant will lead UI to a B1G title and a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 appearance in the next 5 years.

2nd prediction: He will move on to an elite program (Duke, UNC, TX, etc.) after a few years here. The guy is a brilliant b-ball mind, teacher, strategist and motivator. JG raved about him to anyone who would listen at Ubben last spring/early summer. He's an up and comer in women's hoops circles.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:49 PM   #7
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
Prediction: Bollant will lead UI to a B1G title and a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 appearance in the next 5 years.
Agreed. This ought to be a great couple of years under the helm of Bollant, even if he DOES go to a bigger name school soon...
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:25 AM   #8
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
IMO the xtra long and baggy shorts that look bad on most of the guys look even worse on the girls. I don't recommend playing in bikini bottoms but those shorts almost look like skirts.
My thoughts exactly upon seeing the poster. The long and baggy shorts look worse on the gals then they do on the men, no doubt. I think the jerseys even need to be more form fitting like the mens have been the past few years.
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:46 PM   #9
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
My thoughts exactly upon seeing the poster. The long and baggy shorts look worse on the gals then they do on the men, no doubt. I think the jerseys even need to be more form fitting like the mens have been the past few years.
Agree. The shorter you are the more smurf like the long shorts make you look. The ladies being generally shorter than the guys accentuate that look.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:39 PM   #10
mdonsbach
Holy Crap Illini Women up 89-19!?!?

Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Dan
Admin
Quote:
This ain't right. #mercyrule #womensbasketball #illini http://pic.twitter.com/rCrOj2pE

http://twitter.com/egwu_32
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:59 PM   #12
DrewD007
Quote:
#Illini win 120-29 over Concordia. Taylor Tuck finishes with 20 points. Seven in double figures.

https://twitter.com/IlliniWBB
Wow, feel bad for the other team, but way to go ladies!
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:26 PM   #13
jenkila
Saw some nice defensive pressure last night! Will be interesting to see how that stacks up against a more competitive team. Hope the women show a bit more discipline in their shot selection, though. Lots of 3pt attempts way too early in the possession, and lots of missed chip-ins against a team that many high-school squads could beat. Won't get those second chances against a better team! Despite those "issues," this is a fun team and one that I'm looking forward to watching this year! Love the dynamics with Coach Bollant and his associate head coach. They are a force and it's exciting to see the players responding. Too bad Rukavina is gone. She would have flourished with this type of play and coaching. Piper is already making her mark! She is going to be an outstanding player in a very short time! Go Illini!
jenkila is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:20 PM   #14
UIUC1867

Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:11 PM   #15
illiniobserver22
1-0! 84-52 over Evansville, despite lots of foul trouble and really a sloppy effort overall. Smith, Penn and Magrum all had their minutes limited by fouls, and there were more than a handful of missed opportunities in transition in the form of bad passes and missed layups.

Love the defense, should be a fun team to watch this year.

Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:43 PM   #16
IlliniTSM
Was at the game today, and I agree that it was a bit sloppy with the fouls and turnovers (though there were a couple bad calls too, I thought). Not a bad crowd/atmosphere either (especially for a cupcake opponent). Can't wait to see how Coach Bollant can develop this team going forward; there seem to be several talented pieces in place.

On a side note, aren't women's games supposed to be free for students? When I tried to show my I-Card at the door, they told me I had to go buy a ticket at the box office. Not a huge deal for only a couple bucks, but I was sure they were free for students. Anybody know for sure?
IlliniTSM is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:17 PM   #17
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTSM View Post
Was at the game today, and I agree that it was a bit sloppy with the fouls and turnovers (though there were a couple bad calls too, I thought). Not a bad crowd/atmosphere either (especially for a cupcake opponent). Can't wait to see how Coach Bollant can develop this team going forward; there seem to be several talented pieces in place.

On a side note, aren't women's games supposed to be free for students? When I tried to show my I-Card at the door, they told me I had to go buy a ticket at the box office. Not a huge deal for only a couple bucks, but I was sure they were free for students. Anybody know for sure?
You may have mis-heard, I showed your I-Card at the box office and got a free ticket. They were free for students last year and I hadn't heard differently this year.

Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:22 PM   #18
IlliniTSM
Thanks, Danielb, that makes some sense. I guess I was just used to things like volleyball where I just flash the I-Card at the door, no ticket needed. I'll remember that for next time.
IlliniTSM is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #19
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTSM View Post
Thanks, Danielb, that makes some sense. I guess I was just used to things like volleyball where I just flash the I-Card at the door, no ticket needed. I'll remember that for next time.
I've always gone in before tip-off for WBB, and they usually let you in the northwest entrance and give you a ticket there. This was the first time I'd had to go to the ticket office, so I'm not sure if they're switching things around for the year or it was just because I showed up a bit late.

Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:52 PM   #20
illinifan4249
Its just because you were late, it is the Southwest entrance this year i believe but you go in and they will give you a ticket, and free food usually.
illinifan4249 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:00 AM   #21
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illini Start Bollant Era with 84-52 Win over Evansville

Amber Moore scored 19 points and knocked down five three-pointers in Illinois' 84-52 victory over Evansville in the 2012-13 season opener, the first under head coach Matt Bollant. Moore was one of five players in double figures for the Illini, who forced 26 turnovers and out-rebounded the Purple Aces 52-36

"One thing that we wanted to get is the fruits of our labor," Bollant said afterward. "We practice really intense and today I think that showed. I think in the second half, especially, we really wore them down."

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...111112aab.html
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:08 PM   #22
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois Announces 2013 Signing Class

Illini Class Ranked No. 25 by Girls Basketball Report

"We're really pleased with this class," Bollant said. "We have a diverse group with kids that can do different things. What he have in all of them is high character and high integrity and kids that are going to come here and get better. We wanted to recruit the state and feel we have four of the top six or seven kids in Illinois. I want to thank my staff. We got in here in late March and early April and by August had six verbals already. Obviously we have players that jumped on board before they saw us on the court. That's really neat about this group."

"Since coming to campus, coach Bollant has surrounded himself with quality and character, first with his staff and now with his first recruiting class" said Chris Mennig, national evaluator for Blue Star."They have put together the foundation for the future of his program - he has a group of unselfish players that have the length and perimeter skills to help him implement his offensive/defensive system."

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...111412aaa.html
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:00 PM   #23
DrewD007
Seems like Bollant put together a pretty good class. Can't wait to see what he'll be able to pull in with a couple of seasons under his belt here.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:12 PM   #24
Dan
Admin
Big win for Illini Women's Hoops!

Defeated #6 Georgia 70-59 tonight at the Assembly Hall

Quote:
HUGE win for @IlliniWBB, 70-59 over No. 6 Georgia. Karisma Penn with 27 points 19 rebounds for the #Illini! #B1G #ncaawbb

http://twitter.com/IlliniAthletics
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:12 PM   #25
trevdv
Wow! Great win for the lady Illini tonight. Penn really came out with energy, never slowed down. Onto B1G play!
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »